Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
  1. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    ALP or something that Ed C. and Co. are cooking up in the basement. . . .. . . .I have $25 riding on that a Treo with it arrives before 2/28/08.

    Ya know, Perry...I heard a radio ad the other day that says that if you have a large structured settlement they'll pay you NOW instead of waiting for payment. Imagine what you could do with $4 now as opposed to waiting until Feb 2008 for a $25 cash settlement? I'll call the radio station and get the advertisers phone number if you're interested...

    I do think with all the changes that are occuring in the market right now -- and the severe pressure that Wmobile is putting on the POS product line that if Palm genuninely believes they can make it until the end of 2007 without a major product introduction beyond the 700P they may be further gone than I thought...

    It seems like phones are starting to ramp up to the same kind of sales cycle that PCs once had. We used to roll out new product lines every 4 months or so. Look at the Nokia's of the world...I think they introduce a new product every Wednesday, don't they?

    If Palm wants to maintain and build it's market presence, it's going to have to create a broader line of products (which I think is what the "4 new devices" is all about) and they are going to also need to refresh those products a bit faster than the 18 month window....
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Ya know, Perry...I heard a radio ad the other day that says that if you have a large structured settlement they'll pay you NOW instead of waiting for payment. Imagine what you could do with $4 now as opposed to waiting until Feb 2008 for a $25 cash settlement? I'll call the radio station and get the advertisers phone number if you're interested...

    I do think with all the changes that are occuring in the market right now -- and the severe pressure that Wmobile is putting on the POS product line that if Palm genuninely believes they can make it until the end of 2007 without a major product introduction beyond the 700P they may be further gone than I thought...

    It seems like phones are starting to ramp up to the same kind of sales cycle that PCs once had. We used to roll out new product lines every 4 months or so. Look at the Nokia's of the world...I think they introduce a new product every Wednesday, don't they?

    If Palm wants to maintain and build it's market presence, it's going to have to create a broader line of products (which I think is what the "4 new devices" is all about) and they are going to also need to refresh those products a bit faster than the 18 month window....


    PALM LOYALIST MODE: ON


    I agree. I think they may do double time on the ALP or Palm/Linux OS to meet market pressures to keep up. As well, with 4 new Treos this year --- to match and beat year over year financial performance by quarter -- they better have something in the pipeline for 2007. That's why I think I am very well positioned to collect on my $25 wager for 02/28/08.

    Hey Strauss! I won't discount it as much as Hagger did -- but I will take $10 now if you want to cut your losses.

    Cheers, Perry.


    PALM LOYALIST MODE: OFF
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/19/2006 at 08:50 AM.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Not really, but I do think I am well positioned. If Palm is releasing 4 Treos this year -- what are they going to do in 2007 to keep the year over year growth going? That leads me to believe they might double time the development of the Palm/Linux Treo to (1)meet the challenge of other alternatives and (2) make the year over year financial comparisons by having it ready for a late 2007 holiday item. If not, 2/28 is positioned for getting "sales" into that fiscal quarter.
    The glass is ALWAYS half-full in the Holden household I see. Let's see - the 650 came out 10/04, so that's 19 months. So, if the last of the super four this year is likely year end (say 11/06), 19 months makes it AUGUST 2008, which I believe xtant21 said September....I'm feelin REAL GOOD

    Besides, EV-DO has been available for almost a year now, and that didn't speed up Palm. There is no foreseeable technology leap (like the switch from Vision to EV-DO), so what's their hurry. Besides, a brand new OS in a brand new hardware configuration (well, maybe not, it may still look like the 600), and it could be longer.

    I just LOVE this 150% return on my money!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  4. #24  
    Secure In One's Bet Mode: ON


    LOL



    Secure In One's Bet Mode: OFF
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    PALM LOYALIST MODE: ON


    I agree. I think they may do double time on the ALP or Palm/Linux OS to meet market pressures to keep up. As well, with 4 new Treos this year --- to match and beat year over year financial performance by quarter -- they better have something in the pipeline for 2007. That's why I think I am very well positioned to collect on my $25 wager for 02/28/08.

    Hey Strauss! I won't discount it as much as Hagger did -- but I will take $10 now if you want to cut your losses.

    Cheers, Perry.


    PALM LOYALIST MODE: OFF
    You guys just kill me. Only Palm could say "4 new Treos" and then count the release of the 700w and 700p on two different carriers as "4" Even if you give them a break and say they're going to do a Cingular 700p, I still don't see how that really qualifies as "4" - especially since they disavow a Hollywood model.

    Your pipeline for 2007 is probably several "Lowriders" (think Treo 600 and Treo 650 with bigger antennas), and then they'll offer all those poor 700w a 750w upgrade with 320x320 and 64mb ram, and the lemmings will stay in line for that SUMMER 2008 trip to the promised land of Palmsux (Palm's Linux)...

    All the while, HTC, Moto, Samsung, XDA will be on their 4th-5th generation 3G phones.

    What Haggar is proposing is not a structured settlement purchase, but a viatical settlement for a dead (Palm) company, and I'm not interested in alleviating YOUR financial pain my friend.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  6. #26  
    Devil's Advocate Mode: ON

    What happened to the last two Treos listed in the Sagio leak?

    3. Hollywood.
    4. Lowrider.

    So far they are 2 for 2.

    Devil's Advocate Mode: OFF






    Somewhat a Summary of the Sagio leak on Treonauts:


    Treo 700p: First Pictures!
    Treonauts have had reason to celebrate this weekend as the first ‘real’ images of our future Treo 700p (below) running PalmOS were released… [Please note that this particular pre-production unit was marked Treo XXX and thus the 700p naming is an assumption throughout.]



    This particular Treo 700p is branded for Sprint and as such is a CDMA smartphone which is great news for Sprint subscribers but sadly means that there is still no clue of a next generation GSM Treo… According to previous rumours (below) of new Treo releases in 2006, the first GSM Treo is likely going to be offered by Cingular in the US and other carriers in Europe around April/May while a Treo 700p GSM version will have to wait until September.

    January 2006: Treo 700w (WM 5.0, EV-DO) currently available exclusively from Verizon (CDMA) until June 2006 and from other carriers (CDMA & GSM) thereafter
    March-April 2006: Treo 700p (Palm OS, EV-DO) exclusively from Sprint (CDMA) for 6 months and from other carriers (CDMA & GSM) thereafter
    April-May 2006: "Hollywood" - rumoured to be called Treo 800p is expected to be offered primarily by Orange and/or Vodafone in Europe and in US likely to be launched by Cingular
    April-May 2006: "Lowrider" - a sub-$300 device and entry-level smartphone, compatible to previous-generation network radios (like those found on the current Treo 650)
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Ya know, Perry...I heard a radio ad the other day that says that if you have a large structured settlement they'll pay you NOW instead of waiting for payment. Imagine what you could do with $4 now as opposed to waiting until Feb 2008 for a $25 cash settlement? I'll call the radio station and get the advertisers phone number if you're interested...

    I do think with all the changes that are occuring in the market right now -- and the severe pressure that Wmobile is putting on the POS product line that if Palm genuninely believes they can make it until the end of 2007 without a major product introduction beyond the 700P they may be further gone than I thought...

    It seems like phones are starting to ramp up to the same kind of sales cycle that PCs once had. We used to roll out new product lines every 4 months or so. Look at the Nokia's of the world...I think they introduce a new product every Wednesday, don't they?

    If Palm wants to maintain and build it's market presence, it's going to have to create a broader line of products (which I think is what the "4 new devices" is all about) and they are going to also need to refresh those products a bit faster than the 18 month window....
    You're right on about the ramp up. It's beginning to look like the heady days of Sony's entry into Palmland. A new release every 60 days or so (remember the 600 series; something like 600, 610, 615...). They had to DRAG Palm into hi res color kicking and screaming all of the way.

    It's frightening, but I guess I'm the only one around here bothered by it. Features are not everything (and you are right about that one as well Spandex-man); BUT, the WM5 phones have more feature than the "NEW" 700p, and they are already SIX MONTHS OLD. By year end, HTC, Moto, Samsung, and others will have phones out with better features and capabilities than ANYTHING Palm will release NEXT YEAR.

    When you're not the lead dog, the view is all the same, and that's all that Palm is going to get from now on.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Devil's Advocate Mode: ON

    What happened to the last two Treos listed in the Sagio leak?

    3. Hollywood.
    4. Lowrider.

    So far they are 2 for 4.

    Devil's Advocate Mode: OFF
    Jerk Mode: ON

    3. Palm has disavowed it

    4. Most sources say 2007 at best

    I guess batting .500 is okay, but one was more like a walk (700w) and the other was a Texas League single (700p - what the 650 should have been).

    Frankly, after doing the 600 to 650 shuffle at $500 pluss average just to get a better screen, incrementalism is over for this dog.

    Jerk Mode: OFF
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  9. #29  
    Revisionist Mode: ON

    2 for 2 so far; Batting 1.000

    We have seen #3, whatever they want to call it.

    Revisonist Mode: OFF
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Revisionist Mode: ON

    2 for 2 so far; Batting 1.000

    We have seen #3, whatever they want to call it.

    Revisonist Mode: OFF
    Do you also do the pitch count for Barry Bonds?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  11. #31  
    Buddy Mode: ON





    Buddy Mode: OFF
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Buddy Mode: ON





    Buddy Mode: OFF
    Back to ya....

    Did you catch Haggar's new motto for Palm over in the 700p forum:

    PALM
    Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  13. #34  
    Sometimes the truth hurts. Since the 750w (my name prediction) coming to Verizon in late Spring 2007 (with 320x320 screen and a FULL 64mb RAM) will be a WM5.xx device, then the 700p may just be the Last of the Mohicans for Palm.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  14. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #35  
    DING DING DING....back to your corners boys...Perry...get that eye checked out - Strauss, how many fingers am I holding up?

    One of the things I'd like to point out...I mentioned this a week or so ago -- is that over the past 2 years Handspring/Palm/PalmOne/Palm has gone through a tremendous bit of turmoil from strictly a managerial perspective. That has got to have a major affect on the R&D, Marketing, and product development plans.

    I'd hedge my bets that we'll see a much more stable roadmap...and hopefully one with a slightly higher speed limit...now that (it appears) that Palm may finally be off the shifting sands of the beach and on its way to solid ground...
  15. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Sometimes the truth hurts. Since the 750w (my name prediction) coming to Verizon in late Spring 2007 (with 320x320 screen and a FULL 64mb RAM) will be a WM5.xx device, then the 700p may just be the Last of the Mohicans for Palm.

    Smart xxx Mode: ON

    So they said about the 650.

    Smart xxx Mode: OFF
  16. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Smart xxx Mode: ON

    So they said about the 650.

    Smart xxx Mode: OFF
    Smart xxx Mode: ON

    Need to modify that logo:

    PALM
    Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices!

    Incrementalism to perfection!

    Smart xxx Mode: OFF
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  17. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Smart xxx Mode: ON

    Need to modify that logo:

    PALM
    Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices!

    Incrementalism to perfection!

    Smart xxx Mode: OFF

    Mr. Strauss, Sir,
    did we take our double dose cynic pill this am? ehhh???
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  18. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    Mr. Strauss, Sir,
    did we take our double dose cynic pill this am? ehhh???
    Did anyone who survived the Samsung i550 debacle not earn their cycicsm stripes? Just tell me WHERE I'm wrong with that logo:

    1. 600 - great new design from the prior Treos (kind of like the Palm Vx)

    2. 650 - 600 with better screen

    3. 700w - 650 with lesser screen but WM5 (whoppie)

    4. 700p - what 650 should have been; EV-DO and more memory

    Hmmmmmm.......

    Okay, maybe it should read:

    PALM
    Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices!
    Incrementalism to perfectionism!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  19. #40  
    Oh,
    he just had to mention the Samsung i550 debacle.
    Such a sad, painful tale. Such expectations. Such disappointment.

    Now, I'm depressed.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions