Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    I've been a Treo user for 4 years or so, and while I like the device a lot, sometimes I wonder if I would be better off without all the features.

I spend more time in my office these days than I used to, so it's not as critical for me to have my email all the time - especially since most of the email I get is not time-critical, or is out-and-out spam. And I use the calendar and PDA features a lot less than I used to.

Since switching from Sprint to Cingular (I needed international coverage), I've found that the speed of the internet connection is so much slower that I rarely use blazer any more, either.

Here's what I use the most: the camera for quick snaps; syncing contacts to Outlook; and SMS to google yellow pages. I think I get all that on any plain phones.

So I've been thinking of swapping my Treo for a Razr or something smaller. It won't have all the features, but it will fit in my pocket.

Has anyone downshifted in this way? How long did it last before you had Treo envy again?
    Purely out of a desire to rough-it, I did try to switch
    back to my Nokia 6650...

That experiment did not last too long.

I did notice that the Nokia had taken-up a penchant
    for lock-ups and delayed response, making my Treo
    experience so much more acceptable. (Is this the
    Treo envy that you mention?)

Besides, there were so much less goodies to play with.
    I cannot go back to a regular phone...it has to have touch screen...it has to be a PDA as well...its like crack baby..yummy delicious grade A columbian crack!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    Has anyone downshifted in this way? How long did it last before you had Treo envy again?
    I went from a Treo to a E815 for about 2 months after I lost my job, at the end of the 2 months I was all over Ebay trying to get one cheap since i wasn't working at the time. Now this will never leave my side and I've converted 3 family members to the Treo and about 6 friends of mine.
    I have a Sprint (CDMA) Treo 650. I purchased an unlocked Motorola Razr so I could use it internationally (by switching SIM cards).

IMHO, the Razr is a much better phone, but the versatility of the 650 prevents me from abandoning it as my everyday device.
    I am comtemplating. The reason is I hate the new design (it's uglier and more deriative) and I can get a PDA for the other thing I do.

It all depends on if I can find a equivalent of "profiles" in the new phone. If the new phone is smart enough to turn on and off the ring tone every work day, and has good mp3 player. I may jump ship.

See. When I spend 500 on a shiny new phone, I want the phone to look new and people can tell the difference. Between this and the $600 PS3, somethng got to give.
    I've been going back and forth between my Treo 650 and an Audiovox SMT5600. The Audiovox is still a smartphone, but I really only use the calendar and contacts with the phone, things available on almost any "regular" phone. I really hate the Windows Mobile calendar as I've gotten attached to the week view on my Treo thanks to DateBk5. One thing I do like is the stability. My Treo resets about every other day, usually when coming out of the charging cradle, but the Audiovox never resets or freezes. Clearly a phone + organizer can be integrated with far more stability than we Treo users have been putting up with.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I switched to my A900 for a while because my Treo 650 was on it's last legs. I missed the 650 too much despite it's problems so I switched back, and then they asked me if I wanted to add insurance when I reactivated the 650 Ended up switching back, getting a new 650 through the insurance plan, and still have 75% of the problems I had. Still waiting for the 700p.
    I switched back out of necessity (broken 650 with 700p on horizon) and have hated it. I'm a disorganized mess (again). Cant wait for the 700p.
    i have tryed to do the whole Palm paried with a bluetooth phone before, i lasted a day. Its got to be a smartphone now theres no way back
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    I have treo + razor... I'm on call and I can not miss any calls and with verizon,sometimes the calls are missed when snapper is fetching mail or when I'm browsing the web on the treadmill..... so the call gets forwarded to my razr....works for now.
    Other than that,I sync frequently and have insurance.... so no prob there.The only thing is,after loading the treo with bunch of software,it crashes often,so it's very minimal pda use compared to what the device promises.Still....I use dictionary ...email..notes,calender,alarm....web.... though I wish mp3,tom tom,launch software,voice record/command and various other softwares were still on there for use....it's too much for my lil' treo.....apparently.
    I could never go back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    I've been a Treo user for 4 years or so, and while I like the device a lot, sometimes I wonder if I would be better off without all the features.

I spend more time in my office these days than I used to, so it's not as critical for me to have my email all the time - especially since most of the email I get is not time-critical, or is out-and-out spam. And I use the calendar and PDA features a lot less than I used to.

Since switching from Sprint to Cingular (I needed international coverage), I've found that the speed of the internet connection is so much slower that I rarely use blazer any more, either.

Here's what I use the most: the camera for quick snaps; syncing contacts to Outlook; and SMS to google yellow pages. I think I get all that on any plain phones.

So I've been thinking of swapping my Treo for a Razr or something smaller. It won't have all the features, but it will fit in my pocket.

Don't think I could ever give up my PDA with phone, especially now that my PDA will have EV-DO speed !!

Perry, you have a wonderful "new" avatar. One lucky Dad.
    I have a perfectly new(ish) RAZR V3c that is such an awesome phone. I love the form & function of it.

I've tried several times to put my 650 on extended hiatus, so that I could go thinner w/ the RAZR. But everytime I switch to the RAZR, I end up getting swamped w/ new appts that I need to add to the calendar in the Treo.

I have my Treo solely for covergence. I don't do data or anything like that, but convergence is huge for me. I have my life in my Treo literally.

It is next to impossible to go back to a non-PDA phone, now that I'm thoroughly addicted to my current 650.

EVIL PDA-phones!!! Not really... but sort of!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    I personally could never go back. Having the Treo is the best thing that has happened. I guess that for some people that going back to a simplified way of doing things whether it be for a paper organizer, or a cell phone, etc is the way to go.

I can't ever leave my Treo.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    I had a 600, and went back to a toshiba vm4050. I did it simply because my notebook was wireless and I work with it and always have it with me and love it. The 600 seem like an extension of my notebook I didn't need at the time. Now I am back and have seen the light.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I've been using the Treo for about a month and a half, and I could not go back. Even though the form factor is a bit bulky, I still think it is worth carying this than having to carry a PDA and a phone...
    - Jeeman
    I moved on to an 8125 a few months back. it's not quite as painful because it still has PDA functionality. but: I'll be moving back as soon as a GSM version of the 700p comes to town.

I have also used my w900i during extended international trips. the biggest thing I missed was the qwerty keyboard. I did like the remarkable camera in the w900i, but that wasn't enough to prevent my missing of my PDA phone. (also the w900i is nearly the size of the treo!)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I have not had too many different phones, but the 650 was my first that allowed me to sync with my Outlook files. That and email with a keyboard (not a T9 dial pad) are very hard to give up. I am with most of the folks above - whether or not I REALLY need it, I'll probably always have a PDA (cuz, it is only going to get better!).
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast