Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, this is just wild speculation, but now that the 700p is about to be launched, I wondered if the remaining two SmartPhones from Palm this year might not be European versions of the 700p and 700w, featuring 3G high-speed data instead of EVDO.

I know that everyone's excited at the thought of slimline high-spec Treos and entry-level models etc, but Palm is not exactly known for radical innovation.

Some European operators have launched EVDO, but 3G is the dominant high-speed technology in the UK and most of Europe, and the 700p/w without it doesn't offer a significant upgrade to the 650.

Consider the 700w compared to the 650:

Slightly worse screen.
    Slightly worse camera. (yeah, I know, more pixels - but worse quality pics)
    Slightly impaired one-handed usability.
    Slighly worse battery life.
    Half the recommended memory required for optimal operation.
    Goodbye threaded SMS.
    Same chunky dimensions

Gee, thanks Palm! You really do push the technological envelope with every new release.

Aside from Palm's track-record of tiny advances, what other evidence is there that the aforementioned European models might make up the new releases?

Well, Europe is an important market in Palm's eyes, and Nokia's Series 60 is the dominant SmartPhone OS - simply through market saturation, not merit. Palm established an engineering centre here about a year ago, if memory serves (Ireland), looking at 3G technologies and also trying to figure out what's appealing to Europeans. So they ARE, at least, investigating those technologies with regard to a future Treo.

Also, if the 700w/p was launched here WITHOUT high-speed data support it would be the only SmartPhone platform lacking it. All the new Nokia and Sony-Ericsson handsets support 3G, and almost all new Windows Mobile handsets feature it too. In my view, it would be difficult to push a SmartPhone platform lacking 3G support to operators in 2006. It's no secret that voice revenues have plateaud and all the significant telecoms companies are trying to make money from data. Arguably, SmartPhones WITH high-speed data will be better earners for the network than those without, and will be chosen for the model line-up in preference.

Of course, what do I know!
    Given the secrecy, maybe what is going to be launched tomorrow may not be what we understand to be the 700p. It is a red-herring?
    Game over!
    We saw the other one leaked photo already. It's a thinner 700w with no antenna and WM5 and 240X240 screen.

And of course a lowend model which basically is going to be a repackaged 600.
  4.    #4  
    As far as I know, leaked pics have just been photoshopped/modded Treos. I can't remember any which weren't solidly debunked.

Also, the Hollywood and Lowrider rumours turned out to be false too, so is there any information on the nature of the additional devices out there which came from Palm itself?

I *don't* think Palm will ignore the European market, and I *do* think they will count different radio stacks as different models, so if a 3G Treo is planned for this year, it's a good bet that it counts as one of the fabled 4, of which there are two to go.

If Palm don't launch a 3G Treo for Europe this year, they will have lost any market momentum and interest built up by the 650, whilst Nokia et al shift SmartPhones at a fair rate of knots.

Of course, they could always go ahead and launch the 700 range in European markets, once GSM models were available, but with tiny differences between the 650 and 700, could it really command the massive price premium that Palm seems to be looking for? The Sony-Ericsson P990i has 3G, a better canera and Wi-Fi for similar money (probably).
    i think palm could get away with launching a non 3g device here in america, but in europe where 3g is more prevelent, it would be a waste and embarassment for palm to launch a non 3g device.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    There needs to be a GSM phone in the mix somewhere. I really don't care about antenna, color, size or even 3G, as long as it is POS or WM6

I would assume a better camera and more memory of course.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    See the thing is, Palm has never specifically said they were making Treos for the European market. I believe they said they were going to make a Treo that might appeal to other markets, which is assumed to be Europeans. Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe this has been discussed before however.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    well since they have the cdma bases covered, I think it would only be fair for Palm to release a new treo for those consumers that are on the gsm carriers here and in europe. it would only make sense. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next gsm treo and I am hoping that it will be windows based. I love the interface of my htc wizard much more than I like my treo 650. I am surprised how stable windows mobile 5 has been for me. I have not had nearly the amount of lockups with my wizars as I have had with my treo
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    I think pmckean hit the nail right on the head. here's more, the asian market( potentially the biggest) is very similar to its european counterpart.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    The current 700P has only limited appeal to Europe and Asian. It does not have the 3G, 'wow' form factor, and other significant improvement. I for one will not upgrade from 650 unless my 650 is either lost or dead. With the rumour price of US$ 700, it is very expensive.
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    None of the Hollywood and Lowrider rumours have been debunked. It will play out just as been romoured.

Surur
    Chances are the next two models are an antenna-less 700w type and probably something late this year to take the low cost place of teh 650 (think Z22 with cellular and not enough RAM). That would be my guess.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Having played on the dark side now since December, I have to say that WM5 GSM phones are much better, stable, and useful devices than the 650/700, in all departments except for one-handed operation, which is an over-sold concept to begin with. If you add the forthcoming Moto Q, Samsung i320, and the HTC flip phone, they are fast out pacing the Palm offerings. If all that Palm is going to do is re-introduce the zen of Palm to the Euro market, they'll get trampled again because what they are serving up is cold toast compared to the competition.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    1. 700w - CDMA
    2. 700p - CDMA
    3. 700w - GSM
    4. 700p - GSM

=4
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross
    1. 700w - CDMA
    2. 700p - CDMA
    3. 700w - GSM
    4. 700p - GSM

=4
    Jumping for joy.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    None of the Hollywood and Lowrider rumours have been debunked. It will play out just as been romoured.
    Not if this is true:

Quote Originally Posted by David Beers
    There was a statement that I can't repeat verbatim but that gave me the distinct impression that the lower-end Treo that has been dubbed "Low Rider" might not be the fourth Treo Palm plans to release this year after all. Instead a model that sounds a lot like Low Rider is slated for 2007 now and the #4 Treo for this year (which is still confirmed) is sounding like it could be something else.
    http://www.pikesoft.com/blog/index.php?itemid=67

'It will play out just as been rumoured' (typo corrected) is a pretty categoric statement. Is this speculation or do you have some evidence support the assertion?
    No inside information, but a whole lot of supporting information from the oracle-like utterings of various Palm executives.

Surur
    Ok, thanks. I was just wondering if you had something specific indicating that David Beers' source was wrong in saying the Low Rider (like) device had been pushed to 2007 but there would still be four new Treos this year. The last thing I can find from a Palm exec is this:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...ll-highlights/

which is a month before David's blog entry (but does mention different price points, which you could interpret as supporting the Low Rider rumour).
    I think it's fairly obvious that the two remaining Treo models will be GSM/UMTS versions. One will be a WM GSM/UMTS Treo and the other will be a PalmOS GSM/UMTS Treo. Whether it will have a different form factor (slimmer, antennaless) is speculation, but definitely possible imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I think it's fairly obvious that the two remaining Treo models will be GSM/UMTS versions. One will be a WM GSM/UMTS Treo and the other will be a PalmOS GSM/UMTS Treo. Whether it will have a different form factor (slimmer, antennaless) is speculation, but definitely possible imo...
    not to be a downer but how long will this device take to get to market. the 650 gsm came to market how long ago and how long do gsm customers have to wait as their cdma counterparts feast on two 700 handsets???
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast