Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Having played on the dark side now since December, I have to say that WM5 GSM phones are much better, stable, and useful devices than the 650/700, in all departments except for one-handed operation, which is an over-sold concept to begin with.

But WM5 is so sllooooooooowwwwwww. Mann!!! A reboot for instance (and yes, you do need to reboot on occasion) --- better go and make yourself a cup of coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by nispen
    But WM5 is so sllooooooooowwwwwww. Mann!!! A reboot for instance (and yes, you do need to reboot on occasion) --- better go and make yourself a cup of coffee.
    you can get that fixed...augment the registry and you'll boot up quicker
    A reboot is slow, but I haven't had to do it since purchase (2/17) except for a couple of software installs.

Now, when I had to lift off the BATTERY COVER and punch the hole everytime my 650 locked up (daily +) THAT was a real annoyance, and I think the reset hole is in the same place on the 700. Have fun children.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    dstrauss, what phone are you using and on what network?
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
    A reboot is slow, but I haven't had to do it since purchase (2/17) except for a couple of software installs.

Now, when I had to lift off the BATTERY COVER and punch the hole everytime my 650 locked up (daily +) THAT was a real annoyance, and I think the reset hole is in the same place on the 700. Have fun children.
    Gotta jump in here .... I have to soft-reset my 8125 at LEAST once per day. (Sometimes 2, sometimes 3).

I do appreciate NOT having to remove the battery cover to reset it.

I've always wondered on the Treo 650 ... why even bother putting a reset button in??? If I have to take the battery cover off, I might as well pull the darn battery out and put it back in. It would take about as much time with less chance of losing the stylus.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by mymellowman
    dstrauss, what phone are you using and on what network?
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    Gotta jump in here .... I have to soft-reset my 8125 at LEAST once per day. (Sometimes 2, sometimes 3).

I do appreciate NOT having to remove the battery cover to reset it.

I've always wondered on the Treo 650 ... why even bother putting a reset button in??? If I have to take the battery cover off, I might as well pull the darn battery out and put it back in. It would take about as much time with less chance of losing the stylus.
    Sorry to be so slow in respondng:

myyellowman - I'm using a Cingular 8125

driven01: All I can say is I'm glad mine isn't doing that. From all the other users here and sources outside Treocentral, your experience is very unusual and I'd have the unit checked. Like I said earlier, no soft (or even unplanned) resets other than software installs since 2/17/06.
    the 2 phones to be released this year:

1) Limited Edition black Tux edition GSM 650

2) 700W GSM
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    dstrauss .. this is my 3rd unit. The first didn't work right (bluetooth failures, etc.) The second one behaved much like this one. at this point I am basically only running the software that came out of the box but still having a ton of buggy issues. i'm ready to toss it in a volcano as an offering.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    dstrauss .. this is my 3rd unit. The first didn't work right (bluetooth failures, etc.) The second one behaved much like this one. at this point I am basically only running the software that came out of the box but still having a ton of buggy issues. i'm ready to toss it in a volcano as an offering.
    That sucks. Sounds like the first purchasers of the Treo 650 - they were dropping like flies. I spend a good amount of time on HoFo and xda-developers and yours is the first multiple failure I've seen. Don't let them get away with it; hound them for another unit.
    That sucks. Sounds like the first purchasers of the Treo 650 - they were dropping like flies. I spend a good amount of time on HoFo and xda-developers and yours is the first multiple failure I've seen. Don't let them get away with it; hound them for another unit.
    If it weren't for forums like this I'd totally give up on WM5. A co-worker of mine had similar experiences with his 6700 on Sprint. He gave up and just purchased a 700p.

I have to swap mine out through work. Not the easiest thing to do. I'll give it a whirl and hope the next one is better. At some point though I have to use this thing to do my job.

Thanks for the encouragement.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol

I'd like to see both WM5 and Palm OS Treos in Europe. Thing is, can they get OS5 to do UMTS/HSDPA?
    This was my understanding also and I thought it had been discussed in TC. They appear to simply not be able to get OS5 to work with the GSM carriers systems. Not sure anyone at Palm wants to admit that to loudly though. this is one of the major reasons I doubt the Sagio reports. I believe anything new in the way of a "world phone" for Treo will either be WM or have to wait for ALPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    This was my understanding also and I thought it had been discussed in TC. They appear to simply not be able to get OS5 to work with the GSM carriers systems. Not sure anyone at Palm wants to admit that to loudly though. this is one of the major reasons I doubt the Sagio reports. I believe anything new in the way of a "world phone" for Treo will either be WM or have to wait for ALPS.
    How do you know Whiplash?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    the 2 phones to be released this year:

1) Limited Edition black Tux edition GSM 650

2) 700W GSM
    I sure as hell hope you're wrong. No chance in hell I'll buy a Treo with Windows Mobile on it just for UMTS/HSDPA.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    How do you know Whiplash?
    Originally from the Midwest and there is a Mexican food chain called Taco Johns. They use Whiplash the Cowboy Monkey in some of the funniest and most creative commercials I had ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    I sure as hell hope you're wrong. No chance in hell I'll buy a Treo with Windows Mobile on it just for UMTS/HSDPA.

Joe
    Well, it ain't going to freeze over, either. I don't see UMTS/HSDPA coming to a Palm OS Treo near you until AFTER Perry loses his 3/1/08 bet with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Sagio (after buying another 2% of Palm) confirmed that the Hollywood would be WM.

Sagio expects a string of positive catalysts to boost the company's stock price through out the remainder of the year:

Q4Y06 earnings call in June - Sagio believes that PALM will offer FY07 top-line guidance ahead of the 16.3% growth consensus expectations.

The launch of the Treo Hollywood in CY3Q06 - this antenna-less, 3G, Windows-powered smartphone will allow PALM to significantly grow its unit shipments by finally offering a compelling European phone.

The announcement of major European carrier partnerships - the launch of the Hollywood will be an event ala 700w at Verizon Wireless with Microsoft and PALM. Sagio believes that Vodafone will become the Hollywood's first strategic carrier distributor.
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...lms-prospects/

Surur
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Sagio (after buying another 2% of Palm) confirmed that the Hollywood would be WM.

Surur
    Sagio...I liked his "I can't believe it's not butter" commericals...what a pretty boy.

[glad to add to the debate]
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

The launch of the Treo Hollywood in CY3Q06 - this antenna-less, 3G, Windows-powered smartphone will allow PALM to significantly grow its unit shipments by finally offering a compelling European phone.

Surur
    Just what does Sagio think that is compelling about a 700p with the antennae ripped off?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Just what does Sagio think that is compelling about a 700p with the antennae ripped off?
    Especially when it's a 700w not a 700p
    There's lots of stuff that could be considered "compelling." Like more memory, better memory management, upgraded OS, better form factor (hopefully) and a better camera. I look forward to the GSM 700p.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast