1.    #1  
    I have been wondering this since way back when I first bought my Treo 600. I thought that by now there would be so many sdio add-ons it would make my head spin. So far, the only devices that I know about for the Treo sdio slot are the bar-code scanner (Socket OrganizeIT), remote control solution(Novii Remote Blaster), and an archaic GPS device (Stellus Starnet). Pocket PC seems to be way ahead as far as products for their sdio slots. They have had radios, stronger GPS devices, scanners, higher resolution cameras, etc for so long. I have asked a several vendors for the reason behind this and I have received two different answers. One, lack of interest, and two palm rejecting request to develop drivers for the vendors products. If this is true then other than extra memory, what is the sdio slot there for?
    The need to use the SDIO for memory makes this a moot point, IMO. Unless the add-on device is not bulky and combines storage into the same card, it would be all but unusable to us anyway.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I always thought SDIO devices should have an extra card slot in them, so you can still add a memory card if necessary (or can palms only handle 1 SDIO device at a time?)
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  4.    #4  
    You got me wrong. I was saying that the slot for sd/mmc/sdio is currently only being used for memory and few other applications. I want Palm to give us the full power of the slot. We can only use the slot for very few sdio attachments, while PPC has a multitude. I am a guy that likes gadgetry. I love my unlocked gsm Palm OS Treo 600. I did not get the 650 because there were IMO only minor upgrades over the 600 for the hundreds that I would shell out. I would like to stick with Palm OS, but PPC utilizes their ports to a fuller extent than Palm. I would like to stay with gsm but cdma always gets their phones first. PPC has a program already that allows PPC users to run Palm programs but Palm does not have the reverse. For all this, I am starting to look at the CDMA Treo 700w ratherr than wait for the GSM 700p. Bill got the better end of the deal with Palm.
    I agree that the SD slot is underutilized. I don't know that it's Palm's fault, except for the onboard RAM limit. There just don't seem to be too many developers for SD appliances for Palms.

I've been using C-guys SD radio for several months and really like it. It works great and isn't really in the way. Unfortunatley, I don't think they make them now.

I think users are using the slot mostly for memory and programs that work off the card, since there's such a limit on RAM. And it seems people don't like it when things stick out the top of the slot, esp. if it goes above the antenna stub. I only use mine for backups and photos so it's not critical to always have a card in the slot.

I'd definitely be interested in more appliances and think there's plenty of opportunity: AM receiver (and FM if C-guys aren't making theirs), WiFi, TV receiver, voice recording, BT stereo headset, etc.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Quote Originally Posted by brownm
    I have been wondering this since way back when I first bought my Treo 600. I thought that by now there would be so many sdio add-ons it would make my head spin. So far, the only devices that I know about for the Treo sdio slot are the bar-code scanner (Socket OrganizeIT), remote control solution(Novii Remote Blaster), and an archaic GPS device (Stellus Starnet). Pocket PC seems to be way ahead as far as products for their sdio slots. They have had radios, stronger GPS devices, scanners, higher resolution cameras, etc for so long. I have asked a several vendors for the reason behind this and I have received two different answers. One, lack of interest, and two palm rejecting request to develop drivers for the vendors products. If this is true then other than extra memory, what is the sdio slot there for?

To answer your question, this is directly related to the reason why PalmOS Cobalt failed and why Palmsource shifted to using a linux kernal in it's next gen version of the Palm Os or "ALP". The lack of 3rd party driver support for all things including SDIO drivers, harware components etc for Garnet and Cobalt is one of the major reasons why Cobalt failed. The reasoning is that it will be much cheaper and easier for accessory OEM's to develop linux based drivers for ALP than Cobalt/Garnet platform. Hopefully this will be true...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Lack of interest. I don't even know anyone who use SDIO addon in the board.

If you can use bluetooth, why would you use SDIO? The addons that use bottom multi connector make alot more sense.
  8.    #8  
    At the present time one can only use one Bluetooth item at a time.