1.    #1  
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05...orker_lawsuit/

"A US worker, dismissed over allegations that he spent his time at work listening to his iPod and making personal calls instead of building business, is being sued by his former employer for lost profits.

US Card Partner Services is seeking $90,000 in pay in addition to $210,000 in lost income from Drew Scopelliti, a former sales director at the card affinity firm prior to his dismissal last July."
    So how many people gonna get sued cause of time spent following / contribuing to 700p rumors
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I live on T|C when I am at work, though I work for a wireless company so it is for the most part accepted. There are times that if I am looking at T|C and it is seen in a monitoring session I would get in a little trouble, I am sure if I make to much of a habit of it I would get let go. I just make sure that I don't look at it when I am not supposed to..... but I still browse alot, waiting for the first person to say they have bought a 700p and it changed their life!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Those who surf at work may take some comfort from the case of the New York City employee who was dismissed for surfing the internet while on duty. A judge found the dismissal to be unjustified. There is a summary of the case at http://www.news.com.com/Judge+Worker...3-6064520.html. May want to file that away just in case.
    Legalbeagle
  4.    #4  
    Link doesn't work for me.,.....but if I monitoired an employee and found him / her spending hours per day on the internet, I'd dock him /her for the hours and invite the lawyers to say otherwise.
    Work is work, that's why I work from home . If I worked in an office, I'd have a lot of restroom breaks .
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    It may be of note that the employee worked for a government enity(New York City). As a private employer, I have much more discretion in setting guidelines which can include no solitare, private emailing, text messaging, etc. during working hours. In the case of the New York City employee, other employees were doing other activies such as reading, making personal calls, etc., during slow periods at work. The judge simply, by comparison, found that surfing the web was no more objectionable than the other types of activities that were not work related and that had been allowed by the city. If the city had cracked down on all non-work related conduct, then there likely would have been a different result.
    Legalbeagle
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Link doesn't work for me.,.....but if I monitored an employee and found him / her spending hours per day on the internet, I'd dock him /her for the hours and invite the lawyers to say otherwise.
    Surely this should be in relation to how much he is slacking off. If his portion of the job is finished, and he is waiting for some-one else, he should be able to occupy himself with the internet.

What I am saying is that his internet usage should not in and off itself be the cause of dismissal or docking, but actually not doing the alloted work in the alloted time.

Of course these days employers expect to wring out 110% performance from their employees, and aim to employ as few people as possible to do as much work as is humanly possible for them to do. In that case spending too much time in the toilet can probably also get you fired.

Surur
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    What I am saying is that his internet usage should not in and off itself be the cause of dismissal or docking, but actually not doing the alloted work in the alloted time.
    Of course. But we have an unlisted number, take work only on referral and am still backed up.....maybe I shud get my arse off TC board and pick upo some of the slack ... Actually I get frazzled and need my TC visits to chill out a bit....but I am in office often past 11 pm
    I use my Treo at work to surf TC, so its all good.

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.