Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I'm curious...what's the difference between Windows CE and Windows Mobile? They specifically state that Windows CE 6 features will appear in Windows Mobile -- I guess I had always assumed that CE had become WM...
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I'm curious...what's the difference between Windows CE and Windows Mobile? They specifically state that Windows CE 6 features will appear in Windows Mobile -- I guess I had always assumed that CE had become WM...
    CE is an embedded system. There are many different versions, Windows Mobile, Smartphone all are CE based. I believe the old Sega Dreamcast also used CE in part.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    CE is an embedded system. There are many different versions, Windows Mobile, Smartphone all are CE based. I believe the old Sega Dreamcast also used CE in part.
    Back in the day...I just remember the one WinCE (and I think "wince" was exactly what I did the first time I used it).

So MS is developing the core CE platform on it's one...then tweaking that for different hardware platforms? What kind of development time do they usually have from a wince update until the various ******* children get updated?

(that's one more for me, Scott R)
    Back in the day...I just remember the one WinCE (and I think "wince" was exactly what I did the first time I used it).

So MS is developing the core CE platform on it's one...then tweaking that for different hardware platforms? What kind of development time do they usually have from a wince update until the various ******* children get updated?

(that's one more for me, Scott R)
    They've always used CE as platform for different hardware. If you recall back in the early days (pre-PocketPC) there was the larger Handheld devices, (H/PC) like the Jornada 620, and the smaller Palm Sized PC like the old Philips Ninos and Compaq Aero's. Both CE based, but different.

There were even (and still may be) desktop CE devices. In car computers, appliances, etc. was something else they had hoped for.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    WM6 Beta released today... How long til on a Palm?
    To answer your question, 2027. That's May 28th, 2027!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    WM6 Beta released today... How long til on a Palm?
    To answer your question, 2027. That's May 28th, 2027!
    Sorry, that's been changed to June 5, according to my sources - don't ask.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Sorry, that's been changed to June 5, according to my sources - don't ask.

Can I quote you on that? Doh...I just did. nevermind.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Can I quote you on that? Doh...I just did. nevermind.
    I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I am confidant in what they've said while sitting on a buddy of mine.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I am confidant in what they've said while sitting on a buddy of mine.
    Did you say sitting? Thought maybe you missed a letter?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Did you say sitting? Thought maybe you missed a letter?
    It took a lot to get it out of him.
    Haggar, you were doing so well. Don't let Postal draw you off-topic.

WM6 <> CE 6. Not sure when we'll see the next version of WM. I think there was some news about it recently and it sounded like it focused on improving the Pocket Office apps. Microsoft has also shown some insiders a look at a major overhaul of the GUI which people were impressed with. I'm anxious to see what that turns out to be like, but if they couldn't deliver a decent user experience in six years, I won't be holding my breath. Don't remember if there was any speculation as to when that would be released.

But at least MS is delivering fairly regular OS updates.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Haggar, you were doing so well. Don't let Postal draw you off-topic.
    or I'll tell mom!
    Take your ball and go home!

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Take your ball and go home!
    no.
    any updates?
    The update to the Palm OS will probably coincide with the release of Photon, ie WM7.