Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    This morning I discovered that my screen on my 650 had a long crack from the top left of the screen to just above the bottom left of the screen rendering my touchscreen useless . After contacting Sprint, I was told that I bought it in March of last year, so it's out of warranty now. He offered me a $150.00 credit on my account if I wanted to buy a new one for $500.00.
    I have a VERY nice plan and do not wish to change it as it is MUCH better than the plans they have today, and for some reason they placed me on a 2 year contract when i bought my TREO. I need some good advice.

Thanks,
    jfire
    There are several threads here some with step by step instructions including pic and video, if you want to go the route of trying to replace it yourself. Just do a search. Several users experienced the same cracked screen issue. Good luck.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Well the reason you are on a 2 year plan is if you want the new customer discounts and you buy from Sprint, only a 2 year plan will get ya those big rebates.

Did you perchance buy the thing with AMEX. My AMEX account doubles the warranty (up to one additional year) on any purchase.

Otehrwise, the Lockline insurance woulda been a good idea.

As for the replacement, a forum search on "650 screen replacement" should bring up a host of threads on the topic. I know I posted a link to a video which guides you thru the process....IIRC the parts come from performancepda.com at about $150.
    Good Call on the AMEX! I forgot all about that coverage. He may get lucky.

Thread Crapper

I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Nope. I'm SOL. got the screen link. I think I can deal with it until the 700P comes out.
    It still works, exept that I can't hit anything accurately with the stylus now.

Thanks for all the advice though.

jfire
    Have you tried to recalibrate at all since it cracked?

Thread Crapper

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Yes, I tap the lower right target, i tap the upper right target, then after I tap the center target, it starts over with the lower right target again. And so on, and so on. I have to soft reset the phone to get out of it. This sucks! Can I sign up for Sprin'ts protection plan now, or was it for when I bought the phone? I know I'll use my AmEx card when I buy the new 700P if mine makes it that long!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfire
    Yes, I tap the lower right target, i tap the upper right target, then after I tap the center target, it starts over with the lower right target again. And so on, and so on. I have to soft reset the phone to get out of it. This sucks! Can I sign up for Sprin'ts protection plan now, or was it for when I bought the phone? I know I'll use my AmEx card when I buy the new 700P if mine makes it that long!!
    I believe you have to sign up for the protection plan within 30 days of purchasing the phone.