Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mesplin@earthli
    As a Mac convert who has upgraded the duel process intel Mac, I have not as yet ran windows programs on my Mac. Although I have that capability, it comes down to the question of why would I run windows when I love the Mac? (The answer is obviously that there are some windows applications that I may need to interface with the PC windows world) I have the same issues with the POS system. I like that system and have gotten used to it. I may have to change in the future if Palm doesn't "keep up", but until then I will continue to enjoy the POS.
    WAY off topic but get a copy of Parallels http://www.parallels.com/ Run Windows on a virtual machine on your MAC. I do this so I can run Windoze on my Suse Linux box
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I think the Palm OS has already gone the way of Mac, and it won't die. There are way too many Palm OS users that will keep it alive, and Palm knows it can count on them. Windows Mobile gives Palm a way into the corporate market, which gives them a lot of money and credibility. They don't need to decide between Windows Mobile or Palm OS, they are actually more financially successful by supporting both.

Espically Jimmie if Palm gives us the Linux version with a Palm look alike interface. (I know that the interface is now changing but let's hope it's keeps the look and feel of our current Palm OS)

Cheers to Perry who has not let down the Palm Treo 700P Flag all these months of speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    Espically Jimmie if Palm gives us the Linux version with a Palm look alike interface. (I know that the interface is now changing but let's hope it's keeps the look and feel of our current Palm OS)

Cheers to Perry who has not let down the Palm Treo 700P Flag all these months of speculation.
    I read, I believe on CNET, that the new OS would have the same look/feel of the old POS. That doesn't mean it's necessarily true, but it probably is. Both Palm and Palmsource know that people are going to want that same "simplistic" feel of previous POS.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Actually I have read the complete opposite, that it will be based on the Rome UI that was primarily designed for smartphones without touch screens. The little we saw of Access PalmLinux does not look much like POS.

Surur
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Actually I have read the complete opposite, that it will be based on the Rome UI that was primarily designed for smartphones without touch screens. The little we saw of Access PalmLinux does not look much like POS.

Surur
    OH DAMN! That's going WAAAY the opposite way. A Rome UI? I never got very good at reading Roman numerals!!

I guess it makes sense... we did have the Palm III, Palm IIIc, IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, V, Vx, VII and VIIx so why wouldn't they want to keep that great Roman empire alive with a new Roman OS?

Does this mean that with the OS...any time you are out of your home area you will be Roming?
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    OH DAMN! That's going WAAAY the opposite way. A Rome UI? I never got very good at reading Roman numerals!!

I guess it makes sense... we did have the Palm III, Palm IIIc, IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, V, Vx, VII and VIIx so why wouldn't they want to keep that great Roman empire alive with a new Roman OS?

Does this mean that with the OS...any time you are out of your home area you will be Roming?
    Treo CMp
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    this is why POS appears to be dead...
    WM 6 beta

haven't release much update
    As a former Apple employee (well, contract worker) many years ago...and someone who does love the Mac but owns mostly PCs (okay, I did get one Mac Mini) I can tell you that love for the operating system just isn't enough -- particularly when you're talking business. Unfortunately, I think the bulk of the buying of these smartphones is going to be for business...so the question is...which platform is best for your company's IT requirements and your bottom line. I'm afraid the POS is steadily losing in the arena when compared with WM5.

I'd agree with you with regard to business and pro-sumer markets...but the "average joe" probably won't be as inclined to want the ability to add programs as long as they can "plug in" a solution. For example - if you have a GPS system that just snaps into place and works...who cares if you can add software as long as it's done for you...

Ultimately, there is no way a stand alone PDA is going to be around...the only question is...what OS will dominate. I think the handwriting is on the wall that Windows Mobile will be that OS...but that doesn't mean there isn't room for Palm.
    Haggar, although I agree with some of what you say, can't agree with all. (well, one always can have one's opinions, which makes life interesting). I am so techy it drives me nuts sometimes. However, there is NO way I want gps on my treo. Sorry folks. I want those separate when I am driving. Screen is too small, convergence is too much (think about driving in an unfamiliar area needing gps, and your phone rings. TOO much stuff going on there) I will always look for a larger screen device for my gps system. Think Ique 3600, which is what I use at present. If/when I upgrade, it will be to a device with at least a screen that large, with other pda functions. Some folks just like to have a pda with a larger screen! And, some folks like myself, would rather use an old out of date OS, instead of using a "too" feature rich OS, like Win Mobile. I use my treo for biz, but like the POS, and plan on a 700p. The old story, whatever works and whatever a person wants I guess.
    If anybody cares looks like Sprint will get the TreoWindooze (cant remember who coined that) in a month or so...

Via Engadgetmobile. http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/0...t-this-summer/
    Quote Originally Posted by newtech
    If anybody cares looks like Sprint will get the TreoWindooze (cant remember who coined that) in a month or so...

Via Engadgetmobile. http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/0...t-this-summer/
    Four to 8 weeks after the 700P release . . . . . . .hmmm?

Current history, says that will turn into 12 weeks -- I have no sources or info on this -- just that pesky little voice in my head that is saying: "Predict 12 weeks -- and be pleasantly surprised with anything better."
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevwill
    Haggar, although I agree with some of what you say, can't agree with all. (well, one always can have one's opinions, which makes life interesting). I am so techy it drives me nuts sometimes. However, there is NO way I want gps on my treo. Sorry folks. I want those separate when I am driving. Screen is too small, convergence is too much (think about driving in an unfamiliar area needing gps, and your phone rings. TOO much stuff going on there) I will always look for a larger screen device for my gps system. Think Ique 3600, which is what I use at present. If/when I upgrade, it will be to a device with at least a screen that large, with other pda functions. Some folks just like to have a pda with a larger screen! And, some folks like myself, would rather use an old out of date OS, instead of using a "too" feature rich OS, like Win Mobile. I use my treo for biz, but like the POS, and plan on a 700p. The old story, whatever works and whatever a person wants I guess.
    I don't think you're disagreeing with me at all... I think what I said was that most peole just want a GPS solution that will "snap into place" -- meaning that I don't think they care if it's part of the Treo. As long as they can add it later, that's fine. Whether it's a stand alone system as you talk about or something that works within the Treo by plugging it in..

I guess the main thrust of my point (there goes that Brokeback reference again) is that consumers don't care about HOW the technology works as long as it works. The reason the iPod is so successful is not because it uses xyz software or the screen has xxxx number of pixels...it's because it's a simple, easy to use interface that makes sense. Geeks and nerds want to know WHY and HOW something works...but the average consumer doesn't care.
    ...Geeks and nerds want to know WHY and HOW something works...but the average consumer doesn't care.
    That is one of the truest statements ever made on Treocentral (okay Haggar, let the air out so your head still fits in the avatar).

Seriously, there isn't an average joe (or joette) consumer out there that gives a flip, they JUST WANT IT TO WORK. Deliver and make good clear calls; keep my email, calendar and contacts in sync with my work schedule - then I'm happy. No registry hacks, utilities (x-master or otherwise), add-on or ins, just run.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    That is one of the truest statements ever made on Treocentral (okay Haggar, let the air out so your head still fits in the avatar).

Seriously, there isn't an average joe (or joette) consumer out there that gives a flip, they JUST WANT IT TO WORK. Deliver and make good clear calls; keep my email, calendar and contacts in sync with my work schedule - then I'm happy. No registry hacks, utilities (x-master or otherwise), add-on or ins, just run.
    Let's face it...99% of the regulars of this forumn would be disgusted to see someone using the built-in calendar and address book! Am I right? Yet sit in a Sprint store someone and watch people come in with their 650's and see how many of them haven't loaded a SINGLE ap on their device.

I heard someone telling a sprint rep that they wanted to return their 650 and buy one of those new PowerVision phones because those were made for playing music....um....hello?
    LOL

I use all the base PIMs and VersaMail !!

That 1 percent I guess.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    LOL

I use all the base PIMs and VersaMail !!

That 1 percent I guess.
    HA! Ya know, Perry...as I wrote that, I thought -- the only person who's gunna disagree with me would probably be Perry.

You never let me down.

"I love you man. No, I really love you."
    I use the built-in PIM apps. I like the no-nonsense uncluttered simplicity of them. Actually, I hardly ever *use* the calendar or to-do list these days. I never got around to doing most of the things on my to-do list, so that just got depressingly long. And the dumb company I work for by day disables our USB ports so I can't sync my calendar.

As for Versamail...it gave me too much trouble, so I upgraded the license to Snappermail which I purchased back in my Treo 300 days.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Me too, the only overlay I use is TMP....everything else is "stock". Of course I have added a lotta apps of the type that don't come "preloaded".
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345