Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 97
  1. #41  
    OK, I have to weight in. I'm sure you were all waiting for my opinion.

    There are a bunch of reasons why the Apple/Palm comparison is not valid. Yes, there are some similarities, but not many.

    1) Apple never dominated the PC market like Palm dominated the "Palm Pilot" market. Apple never had the marketshare to lose. In education, yes. Niche markets (video, photo, etc.) yes. Not the mass market.
    2) Palm at one time had a pretty big ecosystem around their OS with many hardware licensees. Apple has never had success doing that.
    3) The OS in my palm is based on 4 year old technology that is a relatively minor upgrade from 10 year old technology. Where is the upgrade? There would be a similarity if we were running MAC OS 8 or 9 and we were hoping for an upgrade in the next 2 years. Apple embraced Linux several years ago, took it as it's own, and made OSX with a future, wide support, etc.... Palm is just now starting that process??? Ok.

    So, based on that, my guess is that IF Access comes out with a usable Linux POS in the next 14-18 months Palm could have a device on it in 2 years. More Likely, Access won't get something usable to Palm in time. Palm is hedging it's bets and working on it's own Linux OS. Good move.

    If WM5/7 takes off and there is no need for the Linux OS, I think the 700p will be the last high-end Treo running POS. Maybe a low-end device will but not a high-end. If there is room in the market, I think Palm will try a Linux Treo in mid-late 2007. I hope that is what happens because there is no way I will carry a WM Treo. Period.

    If it isn't Linux by Palm, someone else will do it. The question is, can anyone in the market wait for Linux mobile? If not, I may have to spend a year on a Blackberry waiting.
  2. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #42  
    Haggar to Jimmie:
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I totally agree with you.
    Jimmie to Haggar:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I agree with you.
    From Brokeback Mountain:
    Ennis Del Mar: This is a one-shot thing we got goin' on here.
    Jack Twist: It's nobody's business but ours.
    Ennis Del Mar: You know I ain't *****.
    Jack Twist: Me neither.
  3. #43  
    Postal untie Surur, we've gotten used to his ways. You can change your name, not your personality. Your post was semi funny.

    How do I quit you??
    Jimmie Geddes
  4. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    OK, I have to weight in. I'm sure you were all waiting for my opinion.

    There are a bunch of reasons why the Apple/Palm comparison is not valid. Yes, there are some similarities, but not many.

    1) Apple never dominated the PC market like Palm dominated the "Palm Pilot" market. Apple never had the marketshare to lose. In education, yes. Niche markets (video, photo, etc.) yes. Not the mass market.
    2) Palm at one time had a pretty big ecosystem around their OS with many hardware licensees. Apple has never had success doing that.
    3) The OS in my palm is based on 4 year old technology that is a relatively minor upgrade from 10 year old technology. Where is the upgrade? There would be a similarity if we were running MAC OS 8 or 9 and we were hoping for an upgrade in the next 2 years. Apple embraced Linux several years ago, took it as it's own, and made OSX with a future, wide support, etc.... Palm is just now starting that process??? Ok.

    So, based on that, my guess is that IF Access comes out with a usable Linux POS in the next 14-18 months Palm could have a device on it in 2 years. More Likely, Access won't get something usable to Palm in time. Palm is hedging it's bets and working on it's own Linux OS. Good move.

    If WM5/7 takes off and there is no need for the Linux OS, I think the 700p will be the last high-end Treo running POS. Maybe a low-end device will but not a high-end. If there is room in the market, I think Palm will try a Linux Treo in mid-late 2007. I hope that is what happens because there is no way I will carry a WM Treo. Period.

    If it isn't Linux by Palm, someone else will do it. The question is, can anyone in the market wait for Linux mobile? If not, I may have to spend a year on a Blackberry waiting.
    I don't think there is any question that Palm is going to provide its own Linux-based OS for the next generation of POS devices. The question is...when is the "next" generation coming out? I mean...how many Frankenstein movies have there been...maybe that's just as good of a guage as any for determining how many "current" generation products we'll see with Frankengarnet.
  5. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Haggar to Jimmie:

    Jimmie to Haggar:

    From Brokeback Mountain:
    Ennis Del Mar: This is a one-shot thing we got goin' on here.
    Jack Twist: It's nobody's business but ours.
    Ennis Del Mar: You know I ain't *****.
    Jack Twist: Me neither.
    Now...first thing...I've never seen Brokeback. But I know the general storyline...

    When I read your post I couldn't help but hear Whitney Houston bellowing "I...eeee...I....will always love you...oooo...."...

    I think I shall now be sick...
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I don't think there is any question that Palm is going to provide its own Linux-based OS for the next generation of POS devices. The question is...when is the "next" generation coming out? I mean...how many Frankenstein movies have there been...maybe that's just as good of a guage as any for determining how many "current" generation products we'll see with Frankengarnet.
    Remember, Palm does not own Palm OS. So unless Access agrees, this will be Palm Linux, not POS on Linux. There may be some compatibility code, but this will probably be a new GUI running on Linux 2.6.

    Gnome for Palm anyone?

    And you are right, this will take more than a year or maybe even two. If Palm had half a brain it would start an open source community to build it's next OS. This would be easy, create significant excitement in the Palm developer community and get a functioning OS in 6-8 months.

    People are still too slow to figure out how to leverage open source. This is a golden opportunity that is slipping away every day.
  7. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    Remember, Palm does not own Palm OS. So unless Access agrees, this will be Palm Linux, not POS on Linux. There may be some compatibility code, but this will probably be a new GUI running on Linux 2.6.

    Gnome for Palm anyone?

    And you are right, this will take more than a year or maybe even two. If Palm had half a brain it would start an open source community to build it's next OS. This would be easy, create significant excitement in the Palm developer community and get a functioning OS in 6-8 months.

    People are still too slow to figure out how to leverage open source. This is a golden opportunity that is slipping away every day.
    I'd encourage you to go to Palm's career web site and read some of the Linux job descriptions. You'll see there that some of the qualifications include being a part of the Linux community. I think they are quite a bit ahead of the curve already.

    My guess is that they've been working on Linux for quite some time...I would be they may have something for the next product cycle in 18 months...
  8. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I'd encourage you to go to Palm's career web site and read some of the Linux job descriptions. You'll see there that some of the qualifications include being a part of the Linux community. I think they are quite a bit ahead of the curve already.

    My guess is that they've been working on Linux for quite some time...I would be they may have something for the next product cycle in 18 months...
    Great avatar!
  9. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Great avatar!
    Part of it's pretty good...the rest of it is rather...um...crappy?
  10. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Part of it's pretty good...the rest of it is rather...um...crappy?
    Cream of the crap, I say.
  11. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Cream of the crap, I say.
    And with that, I broke 200 posts....and yet you're STILL outdistancing me.

    Don't you have some vacation days built up? Can't you go somehwhere that has no Internet access?

    I mean a love you and all (but not in a Brokeback way, sorry)...but go away and let me catch up. This just isn't fair....you're so mean to me.
  12. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    And with that, I broke 200 posts....and yet you're STILL outdistancing me.

    Don't you have some vacation days built up? Can't you go somehwhere that has no Internet access?

    I mean a love you and all (but not in a Brokeback way, sorry)...but go away and let me catch up. This just isn't fair....you're so mean to me.
    Sorry.
  13. BigTex's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    #53  
    wow I have 4 threads where I am the last post
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

    Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
  14. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    wow I have 4 threads where I am the last post
    Don't stop now! Oops, sorry.
  15. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Don't stop now! Oops, sorry.
    WTF Postal -- is this your full time job?

    I'm a complete loozer and have spent the WHOLE DAY at my comptuer replying....and yet...some how...you continue to build your lead.

    You're not OT'ing my threads are you?
  16. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    WTF Postal -- is this your full time job?

    I'm a complete loozer and have spent the WHOLE DAY at my comptuer replying....and yet...some how...you continue to build your lead.

    You're not OT'ing my threads are you?
    Im really bored today.
  17. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    WTF Postal -- is this your full time job?

    I'm a complete loozer and have spent the WHOLE DAY at my comptuer replying....and yet...some how...you continue to build your lead.

    You're not OT'ing my threads are you?
    Thanks for asking though.
  18. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #58  
  19. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #59  
    You're double posting....you bastich!
  20. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    You're double posting....you bastich!
    sorry
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions