Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I also liked the 700w's form factor, I preferred it over my 650. Palm has done a nice re-design of the casing, and I'm looking forward to getting the 700p.

I know they say their giving the Palm experience on Windows Mobile, and yes they've tweaked Windows Mobile a bit to make it more palatable, but it's not the Palm experience by any stretch, it's a great marketing term. You can't have a Palm experience without the Palm OS. I used the 700w and thought it was a great device, as I thought the 6700 I used was great too.
    I totally agree with you.

I hope I'm not sounding antagonistic here...I'm really just trying to flesh-out this topic as best I can in my own mind...

I had great experiences with the 700w and the 6700. I loathed the 6700 as a phone...but really like the feature set. I thought the 700w was a bit underpowered for WM device (having way too little memory, low res screen, and no wi-fi) but thought it was a great phone.

That lead me back to the 650 which was adequate on the hardware front and great as a phone. But all that needs to happen is for me to jump to Windows Mobile Treo would be fore the hardware feature set to improve. And if some other manufacturer can come out with a compelling "treo-like" device with the hardware I want...I'd jump.
    I agree with you. Windows Mobile can do a lot more than the Palm OS can. The 6700 was an awesome device, but I need a phone first, and that's why I love my Treo. The 700w feels much better in my hand than my 650 does, so I am looking forward to that as well. Along with the improved keys on the keyboard, the 700w just feels like a more solid/refined device than our 650. So we'll benefit fron that.

I think many companies are trying to come out with a "treo-like" device, and that's why Palm was so smart to license and make a Windows Mobile Treo. They don't have anyone to compete with on the Palm OS front for smartphones, and who better to make a "Treo-like" Windows Mobile phone than Palm themselves? I love how they've spun "the Palm experience on Windows Mobile",lol.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I love how they've spun "the Palm experience on Windows Mobile",lol.
    Maybe we can take the opposite approach and create the WM5 experience on the Palm. We'll market it as "WM5 for Palm"...

While the marketing materials won't specifically say so, the application itself would be very simple. Simply a program that randomly freezes up the operating system every few hours and runs useless clock cycles to burn the battery down in 3 hours or less...

oh...and it would replace the launcher with a DOS prompt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Maybe we can take the opposite approach and create the WM5 experience on the Palm. We'll market it as "WM5 for Palm"...

While the marketing materials won't specifically say so, the application itself would be very simple. Simply a program that randomly freezes up the operating system every few hours and runs useless clock cycles to burn the battery down in 3 hours or less...

oh...and it would replace the launcher with a DOS prompt.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    lol. Windows Mobile has enough licensees that already do what you describe, so lets skip WM5 for Palm,lol.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    lol. Windows Mobile has enough licensees that already do what you describe, so lets skip WM5 for Palm,lol.
    Yeah, but my solution would bring the consumer a much more reliable unreliable experience...
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    A few thoughts...

1) The Palm/Apple comparison is ludicrous. The Palm business model consists of releasing products that are outdated before they hit the shelves while Apple is the industry leader setting trends with innovative products that are ahead of everyone else.
    2) I predict Palm will be out of business by the end of 2007. That prediction alone will keep them viable another ten years as my last prediction about their death two years ago was horribly wrong.
    3) Haggar, by starting a thread that is thoughtful and following it up with informed responses, are we to believe you are now legitimate. Am I to be the lone adolescent (with due respect to dstrauss and teh munk) making asinine comment and fifth grade bathroom humor remarks? I am disappointed in you sir.
    A reliable unreliable experience would be reliable if it ran Windows?
    Jimmie Geddes
    We need some humor.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal

3) Haggar, by starting a thread that is thoughtful and following it up with informed responses, are we to believe you are now legitimate. Am I to be the lone adolescent (with due respect to dstrauss and teh munk) making asinine comment and fifth grade bathroom humor remarks? I am disappointed in you sir.
    I received many threatening letters via PM stating that if I did not shape up the International Llama society would revolk their financial support of my latest project. I cannot afford to be without their substantial contributions. Sorry.
    Last edited by Haggar; 05/08/2006 at 03:16 PM.
    ...Am I to be the lone adolescent (with due respect to dstrauss and teh munk) making asinine comment and fifth grade bathroom humor remarks? I am disappointed in you sir.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I received many threatening letters via PM stating that if I did not shape up the International Llama society would revolk their financial support of my latest project. I cannot afford to be without their substantial contributions. Sorry.
    I apologize, I didn't realize it was serious. Damn Llamas.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Just kidding
    Just kidding
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I apologize, I didn't realize it was serious. Damn Llamas.
    The ILS can be a politically charged organization...but please do NOT take it out on the Llamas. They are such noble creatures...hearts of gold, really.

For more information about Llamas, please visit...

http://www.llama.org/personalities.htm
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    The ILS can be a politically charged organization...but please do NOT take it out on the Llamas. They are such noble creatures...hearts of gold, really.

For more information about Llamas, please visit...

http://www.llama.org/personalities.htm
    It's good to have you back on the playground.
    I have to admit that after all of our discussions about the 700P and the lack of a "push" it seems to be getting from Palm, I'm getting a bit squeemish about whether or not Palm is fully committed to the POS after the 700P.

Assuming that A) there will indeed be a 700P and that B) there are going to be future Treos... what does everyone think about the prospects of having w and p versions of all future Treos? Does this make sense?

Not both for all models, but both OS's will carry forward, unless Palm/Linux does not fly, and then I will be spending some money on some WM5 applications.

(Big surprise, that I would say that.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Not both for all models, but both OS's will carry forward, unless Palm/Linux does not fly, and then I will be spending some money on some WM5 applications.

(Big surprise, that I would say that.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Ya know...it's interesting. He responded to the VERY FIRST post in the thread and ignored everything else. What's the matter, Perry? Don't you like Llamas?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Dang am I bored...so I just pulled this off of Palm's "Careers at Palm" page...

Linux Senior Software Engineer

Job ID 1805
    Location USA - Sunnyvale
    Category Engineering
    Date Posted Apr 12, 2006

Overview:

As a senior software engineer, you will play a key role in the architecture, design and implementation of enabling technologies for a new generation of Palm devices. Working as part of the overall system team, you will work on the underlying support for various software applications

Duties/Responsibilities:

You will be responsible for the design and development of components of a new software platform

Qualifications:

Expert in C or C++
    Minimum 3 years development experience with embedded systems
    Strong understanding of real-time software development characteristics
    Experience with a variety of compilers, assemblers and development tools
    Working knowledge of rapid development & project planning concepts in a software development environment
    A track record of on-time delivery of successful consumer products
    Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and effectively across numerous departments including Marketing, Sales, Engineering, and Quality.
    Development of an application framework and experience developing for “handheld” devices are significant pluses

Skills/Experience:

Proven ability to work well as part of a team with experience in the design, development, test and release phases of commercial quality applications
    Strong embedded system development experience preferred

Education:

BS or higher degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field, or equivalent work experience

Travel:

No travel required for this position

Doesn't this just cement the Palm Linux OS as a "definite" possibility?
    Dang am I bored...so I just pulled this off of Palm's "Careers at Palm" page...

Linux Senior Software Engineer

Job ID 1805
    Location USA - Sunnyvale
    Category Engineering
    Date Posted Apr 12, 2006 ...
    Doesn't this just cement the Palm Linux OS as a "definite" possibility?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast