Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's been a while since I've gone anywhere for vaca. I'm heading to Vegas in two weeks and have recently put some movies on the sd card for viewing for such trips. I read a few stories back in the day about flight attendants not liking the Treo's at all. I'm curious if that has changed or it just a toss up? As long as you have the phone part off it's legit correct? Thanks.
    Usually, however it's up to the specific flight crew. If someone is on a power trip it may be an issue. Should be ok if they can see you are watching a movie or you can demonstrate the phone is off. Here's a related thread.

BTW, Flight Status is a neat app to keep up with arrival/departure times. Saved my **** the other day when I was picking up my wife. The co-pilot had entered the wrong arrival time, off by an hour. American was showing the flight would be an hour late. Flight Status showed arrival at the scheduled time. I believe it uses FAA info. Anyway, sure enough American's monitors were still showing an hour late when I got to the terminal but updated to ontime just minutes before the flight arrived. My wife said the crew appologized for the error after they touched down.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 05/05/2006 at 10:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I use an app called flt_status. It's a free app.
  4.    #4  
    I guess we'll have to see. Thanks for the info. fellas.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Flight Status is a great program. It's free, but the kid who developed it is like 16, and he takes donations.

As for watching movies, don't they let you watch on your Treo as long as you turn the radio off?
    Fltight Status is worth dowloading.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Did anyone read the original post? You all replied without reading, this has nothing to do with the program "Flight Status" which tells you about flight arrival and departure times. Clearly he asked about using a Treo during a flight and if flight attendants will allow it.

Sometimes I think people post just to get their post count up.

As far as the orginal question, it really depends airline to airline and even more on each flight attendant. Some don't want to listen to an explanation that the Treo is off because they see an antenna and consider it a cellphone, others are understanding. It's a coin toss and hopefully for you the flight attendant won't mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    And your not? Your post adds nothing that's not in the first reply and the related thread link. Flight Status is the thread title and infinitemethod seems to have appreciated the added information so why should it bother you?
  9.    #9  
    Hey guys, I wouldn't have named the title "Flight status" if I had known there was an actual program out with the same name. But I do appreciate any added info. and let's just hope I have rad flight attendants! Yes, I said rad too!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    You're right. I'm guilty of being off topic at times, but you didn't read my response in full

I asked a relevent 'on-topic' question after my endorsement of flight status... ok, its redundant to his question.

I'll try again. Has anyone been told to turn off their treo inflight when watching a movie or whatever (bejeweled2, ptunes, etc)?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemethod
    Hey guys, I wouldn't have named the title "Flight status" if I had known there was an actual program out with the same name. But I do appreciate any added info. and let's just hope I have rad flight attendants! Yes, I said rad too!
    Sorry, I didn't read through the content of your post.

There are reports that some airlines are more tolerant than others, but the bottom line is that it really depends on the flight attendant.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    And your not? Your post adds nothing that's not in the first reply and the related thread link. Flight Status is the thread title and infinitemethod seems to have appreciated the added information so why should it bother you?
    He's just pissed off because we're catching up to him.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    As a frequent flyer that travels almost every week, I can attest that it is the specific flight crew that determines your usage. In the past, I have been told to shut down my Tungsten E mid-flight and now, have been allowed at times toi use my Treo 650 throughout the flight. Go figure. Any bugs to the Flight Status program for the 650 / Sprint? I could really use a program like that if it is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens
    Any bugs to the Flight Status program for the 650 / Sprint? I could really use a program like that if it is good.
    No problems for me. Just be aware it's take off/touch down not push back and gate arrival, presumably because it uses FAA data. It updates quickly on request and will show the flight path. It's free but after using it, I decided it was worth a donation.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I read a few stories back in the day about flight attendants not liking the Treo's at all. I'm curious if that has changed or it just a toss up? As long as you have the phone part off it's legit correct? Thanks.
    I flew cross country on American Airlines this past weekend. Their safety video talked about turning off electronic devices blahblahblah... and at one point, the video mentioned something to the effect of "two-way pager [sic] devices are never allowed to be used..." and the backround picture was of a Treo and a Blackberry.

I used my Treo occasionally during the flight, but it was in my pocket most of the time. I don't know if a stewerdess ever saw it, btu I certainly wasn't hassled about it.

Harry
    Southwest used to be really strict on the use of cell phones/PDAs. But now they let you use them as long as the radio is off or it's in game mode. I a lot as well. You will not have a problem with the following airlines which I fly all the time
    - Southwest
    - United / Ted
    - Alaska / Horizon Airlines
    - Delta
    It's been a while since I've gone anywhere for vaca. I'm heading to Vegas in two weeks and have recently put some movies on the sd card for viewing for such trips. I read a few stories back in the day about flight attendants not liking the Treo's at all. I'm curious if that has changed or it just a toss up? As long as you have the phone part off it's legit correct? Thanks.
    I just flew Delta four times. Not one crew member questioned me, even with my daughter and I quite obviously playing games and watching movies on the 650. They were, however, quick to ask me to put it away during takeoff/approach.
    By the way, I think other passengers hearing me say to my daughter "I have to keep my phone off but we can play . . . " helped quiet any complainers.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I used to think the flight crew were just overcautious. That is until I watched one of those myth buster shows on the discovery channel where they test to see whether cellphones can disrupt navigation equipment. The conclusion was that when celphones are in use, the readings on instruments were drastically affected.
    Cool app! Works well! Only thing I noticed is that it doesn't give any info for flights outside of 2 hours. Also, sometimes the time may be different versus on the carrier's website. In case of a time difference, is the app correct or is the carrier's website correct?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast