1.    #1  
    I've had the Treo 600 for about 18 months. A few months ago the 600 started to do the buzzing feedback noise that I've read so much about on the forums. I haven't tried the foil paper fix yet and I'm thinking about just getting a new Treo anyway. However, I do have reservations because of the quality. Questions are...

Does the Treo 650 and/or Treo 700 have the same lower battery power buzzing issue?

Anyone prefer the 650 over the 700 or is that comparison not applicable?

Any common issues for either the 650 or the 700 that would prevent you from buying another Treo in the future?

Acknowledging that this is a Treo site/board, anyone recommend anything elses but the Treo but that's similar?

Many thanks!
    Personally I'd wait till the end of the month until ya can get some feedback on the 700p. The 700w users seem to report having about 10MB of memory to run programs in, the 700p is "purported" to have about 50 MB. You don't say what carrier you are on or whether you have a preference for POS or WM5. Most reviewers call the 700w the best WM5 device ever made.....and also say it doesn't quite match the 650. However in an all Windows shop, the 700w may be a better choice.
    I have the Treo 650. I have taken a detour and tried the MDA and the Blackberry. I came back to the Treo.

I think there is no easy answer for you--it's personal preference that will drive your decision. That, and money.

On the money side of the equation, it's simple: the Treo 650 will get way cheaper soon. If the 650 does what you want, go for that.

On the personal preference side of the equation, it's subjective. For me, the PIM functionality of the Treo was what drew me back.

Now that Blackberry offers its server product for free for one person, the full over the air functionality is possible for me (and I still have that Blackberry) but even so the BB's task list, etc. is woefully pathetic compared to the Palm OS or Windows.

I would annoy your carrier by test-driving one phone after another for their test period (here in Calif it is 30 days) to see what works for you. Get the Blackberry. Then get the MDA/6700/8125. Then get the Treo (I put that 3rd because you are already *ahem* intimate with it). Then make a decision.
    I am a newby with this whole "Smartphone" and Treo idea. I have a friend/boss who has a treo and he loves it! So i am about to graduate and I need a personal organizer and phone and everything. But it came down to the 650 and 700. Someone mentioned on here that the price of the 650 will drop soon? Why is that? Also could anyone help me out here try to persuade my decision.

I want something for a calendar, internet, phone, messagin, email... nothing elaborate and extremely fast maybe a song or two. I just want functionality (is that a word?) Just help me out guys!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLoflin
    Someone mentioned on here that the price of the 650 will drop soon? Why is that?
    When the 2007 car models come out in September, the price of the 2006 models drops so they can clear inventory and who will buy the old model if the new ones are sitting there. Same thing...when the 700p gets announced in 10 days or so, the marketability of the "old model" will drop.

I'd spend the next month reading threads here on TC to see what ya wanna put on ya treo when ya get it and then buy one in 1st week of June.....whether it be the new 700p, or the 650, you'll be ahead either way.
    get the 700w its the best smartphone out right now and it looks the best
    Got Treo?
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I think someone already said it well on here that you have to get what feels right for you. What do you want out of your new Treo? Personally I have a 650 right now, WM does have some great features but for me, the 650 can't be beat. If an when the 700p does appear over the horizon I might venture in that way, its just a 650 with EVDO and more memory and is supposed to have better bluetooth! Those three things are enough for me to patiently wait on the 700p.

The 700w on the other hand already has EVDO and the multitasking of WM is a great benefit! I think some of the apps that are written for WM, but what I used to run like Age of Empires and Sim City 2000 don't run on the square screen, those are games though and might not be prudent to what someone wants from there Treo.

For me the big things that I want are internet, email and being able to read ebooks. The other things like games, and movies and streaming radio that I do are just bonuses for me! I would really look at yourself and what you plan on using your phone/pda for and see what phone fits the mold. The thing I always recommend to people when buying a pda/phone/smartphone, its almost like buying a car now, you have to shop around and you have to test drive, eventually one will fit like a glove.

Good Luck! Happy Shopping!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
  8.    #8  
    Thank you all so far! Very helpful advice.

I currently use T-Mobile which is no longer selling Treo's so I will be switching carriers. If anyone has any preferences as to a good carrier I'd be welcome that advice as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by zooeybear
    Thank you all so far! Very helpful advice.

I currently use T-Mobile which is no longer selling Treo's so I will be switching carriers. If anyone has any preferences as to a good carrier I'd be welcome that advice as well.
    I use T-Mobile, too. Here's are my suggestions, based on my own personal experience.

Call Customer Service and gripe about how wonderful a customer you are and how you want the data plan but you don't want to pay for Hotspots because you're getting a Treo 650 that doesn't have wifi capabilities. Tell them you want the grandfathered unlimited data plan at $19.99/month. You might or might not get it, depending on the person you get on the phone. I got it after several tries.

If they give you the $19.99/month plan, stay with T-Mobile. Don't take the $29.99/month data plan unless you want the wifi.

You've got the $19.99/mo data plan? Good. Now get a phone. I bought an unbranded/unlocked Treo 650 from Amazon. Alternative strategy: buy an unlocked CingularT reo 650 somewhere, like a bricks and mortar multi-carrier store local to you. Here in L. A. you can get a brand new unlocked Cingular Treo 650 there for (last checked by me) $485 plus or minus.

OK. Say you don't get the $19.99/month data plan despite your best begging. This is my recommendation that is NOT based on firsthand personal experience but by watching other people do it.

If you're still in contract at T-Mobile you're kinda stuck. Buy an unlocked Treo and use it at T-Mobile until your contract runs out? Pay the early exit tax? Up to you.

If you're out of contract at T-Mobile, you have some choices. Shop Sprint/Cingular/Verizon. I'd personally go Sprint except I need GSM for travelling reasons.

At Cingular, DON'T buy the $39.99/month MediaNet PDA SuperDeluxe A-1 Nonskid Reversible Waxless data plan. Buy the MediaNet $19.99/month unlimited plan. It'll work just fine on your new Treo unless you have some special needs.
    With Sprint, if you do not need Picture Mail (and with a Treo - which can email pictures - you don't, IMO) you can have unlimited data for $10/mo. on top of a phone plan as cheap as $35/mo. However, I would certainly try to pick the carrier with the best coverage for your area.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Hey, talk of picture mail, you can always send the picture as an email attachment. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Hey, talk of picture mail, you can always send the picture as an email attachment. Ben
    As Jack and Perry did to me once - "Is that not what I just said above?"

Yes, I believe I did!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    I'm in the same situation as you are: I currently have the treo 600 with tmobile but I'm out of contract. I've been itching for a new smartphone for months. I know 2 people who have had the 700w: one loves it, one hated it and switched back to blackberry.

The one who loves it though told me how often he has to reset it and that sounded weird and the lack of memory is ridiculous. But I'm ready for something new and really want something windows based. I had the 270 before the 600 so I'd like to try a windows based smartphone for once but not something that is slow and has to be reset all the time. Hopefully something will come out SOON!!!!

I've played with the MDA and kind of like it but don't want it-low memory.
    yeah i would i first see who has the best coverage, coverage was the most important fact for me when deciding which carrier and around here everyone and there mom has verizon, a small group has nextell but besides those two you dont see any other really unless you see the occasional person who sacrificed coverage and got tmobile for the backflip, i mean round house, oops sorry sidekick
    Got Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    I use T-Mobile, too. Here's are my suggestions, based on my own personal experience.

Call Customer Service and gripe about how wonderful a customer you are and how you want the data plan but you don't want to pay for Hotspots because you're getting a Treo 650 that doesn't have wifi capabilities. Tell them you want the grandfathered unlimited data plan at $19.99/month. You might or might not get it, depending on the person you get on the phone. I got it after several tries.

If they give you the $19.99/month plan, stay with T-Mobile. Don't take the $29.99/month data plan unless you want the wifi.

You've got the $19.99/mo data plan? Good. Now get a phone. I bought an unbranded/unlocked Treo 650 from Amazon. Alternative strategy: buy an unlocked CingularT reo 650 somewhere, like a bricks and mortar multi-carrier store local to you. Here in L. A. you can get a brand new unlocked Cingular Treo 650 there for (last checked by me) $485 plus or minus.

OK. Say you don't get the $19.99/month data plan despite your best begging. This is my recommendation that is NOT based on firsthand personal experience but by watching other people do it.

If you're still in contract at T-Mobile you're kinda stuck. Buy an unlocked Treo and use it at T-Mobile until your contract runs out? Pay the early exit tax? Up to you.

If you're out of contract at T-Mobile, you have some choices. Shop Sprint/Cingular/Verizon. I'd personally go Sprint except I need GSM for travelling reasons.

At Cingular, DON'T buy the $39.99/month MediaNet PDA SuperDeluxe A-1 Nonskid Reversible Waxless data plan. Buy the MediaNet $19.99/month unlimited plan. It'll work just fine on your new Treo unless you have some special needs.
    But what about Verizon Wireless family share plans? I just got added to my dad's share plan and then decided (before the 15 day return period expires) that I want to get a Treo instead of a regular cell phone. Now I need to add on data service somehow, I guess? What's the most cost-effective method of convincing them to give me data service now? I think we all share 1400 minutes.
    well, since I have been with Sprint for about 8 years with two lines of service (and just added a 3rd), I just asked for Vision for free and got it for my line for 2 years. Typically, if your Dad has been a customer for a while, they might at least give you a discount. I know that at Sprint, I can add Vision to the other lines on my account for 1/2 price.
    Here's Business week's review of the Killer PDA's....tho the 650 is not listed, their review of the 700w indicates their preference for the 650 over the 700w....WSJ, PC Mag and most reviewers echo what BW says. But again, if you are in a Windows centric office / e-mail scheme, the 700w quirks might be outweighed by that.

As for carriers, you have T-Mobile so the logical choice would be Cingular. You will keep your 50% longer batery life and can still use your old T-Mobile SIM in the Treo. But convenience has to take a back seat to reception....what do the guys in your local brick and mortar all carrier stores say ?