1.    #1  
    I'm in my last semester at college and I had a little money saved up from winter break. My old Sanyo phone was at the end of it's lifespan so I figured it was time to pick up one of the Treo 650's I'd been looking at for a year or so. They had dropped in price now that the 700's were coming out and I had the cash to get one. Picked one up from the Sprint store and after a day of on-and-off talking with customer service, I got the thing online and running.

So far, this phone has been both the coolest and most frustrating one I've ever owned.

Pros:
    -PDA functionality. I used the calendar in my old sanyo to keep track of class and work schedules but the one in the Treo was much better. Since I'm in my last semester, I do a lot of work on projects outside of school and also work. The scheduler helps me keep track of my time and find the best days to squeeze in video shoots and editing time for school. Also, the contacts list is much nicer than the one on a plain cell phone.
    -Great display. The resolution is high for a phone and it is crystal clear.
    -Web. I'm a huge geek and I am online constantly. I don't read the paper, I read online news, etc. There is nothing like having a full-featured browser built into a phone with a screen like the 650's.
    -Pockettunes. With this cheap program and a 2GB SD card (under $90 on newegg) my phone was also a small ipod. I installed a skin that makes it look like winamp and now there is one less gadget I need to shell out for. A super-plus is the ability to tune shoutcast stations. I used to run a shoutcast station and still listen to them all the time. Who needs to suffer through the horrible variety on terrestrial radio or pay the monthly cost of a satellite radio service when you have thousands of shoutcast stations to choose from. Now I can listen in my car or through headphones when I'm out and about.
    -Multimedia. Admittedly I've not done much in the way of games or watching movies since it's not as much my thing, but from the movies I tested on my SD card and the few games I tried (Littlejohn Palm is a great multi-console emulator for Palm) it seemed like it had the ability to entertain pretty well. I just didn't really buy it for this. Maybe I would use it more if I rode the metro to work or something.
    -Splashblog/camera. I don't expect much of a phone/pda camera. I understand they are pretty much secondary functions, but with SplashBlog, I can maintain a running photo blog of what I am up to just by taking snaps on my phone and sync-ing it to the free server. Virtually no setup and it syncs over the air. Great for friends to see what I've been up to.
    -Convergence and "wow factor". It's simply a great little device that lets me take care of phone, pda, and mp3 player. Also looks cool for what it's worth. Design is pretty nice.

(I'll add more as I think of them)

Cons (ie: things that make me want to throw my treo out the window):
    -Design flaws. This is the big one. In the 4 months I've owned this thing, I have had 2 big problems that I read about online all the time. They are way too common for a device that can still cost almost $400.
    --#1- I had a key get stuck and nobody would fix it for less than $50. That counts both Sprint and Palm. Eventually I read about how to fix it and bought a #5 Torx screwdriver and fixed it myself (voiding the relatively useless warranty). Everyone on various Treo forums seems to complain about how they end up with refurbs even after paying for the repairs so I said to hell with it and just fixed it myself.
    --#2- Just today my Treo decided that my headset was in the jack. It wasn't in the jack, but my Treo thinks it is. I jiggled it in and out to maybe loosen whatever connection was bad but no dice. I read around and sure enough, this jack is one of the most common problems. Even with insurance you can expect to pay $50 plus shipping to have this fixed. The lame part is that I have used my headset maybe 15-20 times in the 4 months I've had it so it's not like I used it heavily and wore out the jack. I found a guy who will solder a wire inside the phone that bypasses the broken switch, but again, that is $50. I might have shelled out for a rather expensive smartphone, but I did not plan on needing all of these repairs so soon. I keep the phone in a case in my pocket. It has not been banged around or dropped. As I'm still a student for another month or so, money is tight and I can't afford to pay for both service and regular repairs due to design flaws. The guy who fixes the jacks says that they chose a very cheap jack in this phone. As long as this problem persists, you're forced to either use your headset all the time or use VolumeCare to bypass the headset mic altogether.
    -Instability. Everyone complains about the instability of the OS, but amazingly, for all the other problems I have and all the 3rd party software I experiment with, it is fairly stable. It is rare that the Treo resets and usually that only happens when I am trying to run some funky emulator or memory-hogging program. I can deal with a reset every so often though so this one isn't too bad for me.

Overall: This phone would easily be one of the coolest gadgets on the market if only they could overcome the design flaws. Even a willingness to replace faulty Treos would go a long way here. I understand that electronics are complex and that a lot of things can go wrong in the manufacturing process, but what is the "acceptable" level of bad units before the product gets a bad name and they lose money from getting a bad rep? I'd imagine they would do better if they raised QA standards and put out better hardware. If not for these 2 major flaws I would be recommending them to all of my friends. Screw the iPod, get a Treo!

Hopefully I get this thing working better soon because as far as my needs are concerned, the Treo is the best smartphone I've used.
    Why would you not have had Sprint replace it under warranty for either issue?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    You just ran into the problem with the "Pro" that is the MP3 player functionality. If you use an adapter to connect your standard headset to the Treo, the added torque between the adapter and the jack causes something to snap off inside - the jack doesn't "wear out" the internal connection effectively busts. Clearly the next generation Treo needs to implement a "standard" sized jack for MP3 functionality.

My Treo is out-of-warranty. I have foresaken using it as an MP3 player, and will use a Bluetooth headset in the future.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I want to get the Softick Audio Gateway and just use my bluetooth headset. For the most part I only listen to the audio in one ear, even though the app is to support A2DP. I would rather use this than a wired headset anyway
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    You just ran into the problem with the "Pro" that is the MP3 player functionality. If you use an adapter to connect your standard headset to the Treo, the added torque between the adapter and the jack causes something to snap off inside - the jack doesn't "wear out" the internal connection effectively busts.
    I didn't use an adapter. I have only used a headset with the small-sized plug.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Why would you not have had Sprint replace it under warranty for either issue?
    When I went to the Sprint store, they said if I didn't have insurance or whatever, I would have to send it to Palm. Either the guy was full of crap or I didn't buy something I should have. In the past I've found most extended warranties and insurance plans not to be worth it. Either way, I'd imagine my taking out that one little screw with the sticker on it has made it a moot point for future issues.
    OK,

I am committed to Sprint and have a keen interest in the TREO 650. Should I buy or wait? I will have to pay full tilt for this thing and if Sprint in limiting the hardwares functions/features, forget it. (they have done this before with other phones)

Also the durability is a serious concern. If I am going to pay $500 I want the thing to last a long time. My interest in this product is the ability to get email, phone usage and then maybe web. Can you surf to ANY site? or is it limited like my current flip phone?

Any input would be very appreciated. Thanks.
    You may be able to fish around in the headset jack with a pin to restore the external sound. This problem has occurred with Zodiac users in the past and this fixed it. I'm not sure if the problem is identical with the Treo, but I've been able to restore my sound this way. Unfortunately, as soon as I plug a headset back in, it breaks it again, and fishing around to fix it isn't typically a quick process. Plus, even when my headset is plugged in, I'm no longer getting stereo sound. So I've basically resigned myself to the fact that I can't use my Treo as an MP3 player, which really sucks.

Anyways, to fix it (or try to), you want to look inside the headset jack with the buttons facing toward the ceiling. Looking in this way, you'll see at the "floor" of the round jack a piece of gold colored metal. Stick a pin between this prong and the black plastic and pull it up so that the metal isn't touching the black plastic. While you're doing this, use your D-Pad to navigate around the icons on the Home/Application screen until you start to hear the click/blip sound working again.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    You have the 700p coming out in a matter of days....I'd wait and either buy the 700p or what will then be a more heavily discounted 650.
    I wish I could help, but I haven't had any problems like that!
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondjim
    OK,

I am committed to Sprint and have a keen interest in the TREO 650. Should I buy or wait? I will have to pay full tilt for this thing and if Sprint in limiting the hardwares functions/features, forget it. (they have done this before with other phones)

Also the durability is a serious concern. If I am going to pay $500 I want the thing to last a long time. My interest in this product is the ability to get email, phone usage and then maybe web. Can you surf to ANY site? or is it limited like my current flip phone?

Any input would be very appreciated. Thanks.
    I have a couple of comments as someone who decided not to wait on the 700p at Sprint. I agree w/Jack above - either wait to see if you like the 700p or wait until it is released and the prices continue to fall on the 650's (I think they are $299 now on the Sprint website w/rebates). Sprint does not limit anything on the Treo that I have found. You can surf anything on the web that the Treo can pull up if you want to wait on it! But you do have download limits (2mb) that are inherient to the Treo, not anything Sprint does. I paid less than $100 for mine via an eBay retailer, so I am happy because that allowed me to buy quite a few sw programs and accessories (which, if you do your homework, you will realize are needed - backup, uninstall, SD card, case, etc.). Once you get used to the size (compared to your flip phone) it is a great phone/PDA.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin