Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Not kissing your n00b, but I totally agree...
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Speaking of kissing your , tell me more about your Avatar...

I agree with your agreement of the general consensus.
    KStewart - please loan him an avatar before the rest of us go blind....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    KStewart - please loan him an avatar before the rest of us go blind....
    Actually...I'm afraid that far more people will go blind if kstewart keeps that avatar!! In fact, I think there's already a thread to that effect somewhere...didn't someone say they were blind? SHAME ON THEM...and shame on you, KSewart for your avatar (got more?).
    Last edited by Haggar; 05/05/2006 at 05:25 PM.
    A thinner Treo really isn't going to look that much smaller than a regular phone.

A longer and narrower Treo would be though.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    A thinner Treo really isn't going to look that much smaller than a regular phone.

A longer and narrower Treo would be though.
    That would be the base for a great start. What the Treo (and all of these phones - WM5 or POS) really need is a dual keyboard - a regular phone dial pad that slides or otherwise moves so you can then use the Treo qwerty keyboard. Think about a slightly longer/narrower Tungsten, so when the slider pulls down it reveals the Treo keyboard. Closed, its got a one-handed standard keyboard.

Given the very thin structure of the Razr and HTC Star Trek series dial pads, an etched dialpad sliding over a Treo qwerty keyboard would be the berries - now we're talking. Hey, one of you photoshop gurus need to do a mock up of a jewel like that.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    That would be the base for a great start. What the Treo (and all of these phones - WM5 or POS) really need is a dual keyboard - a regular phone dial pad that slides or otherwise moves so you can then use the Treo qwerty keyboard. Think about a slightly longer/narrower Tungsten, so when the slider pulls down it reveals the Treo keyboard. Closed, its got a one-handed standard keyboard.

Given the very thin structure of the Razr and HTC Star Trek series dial pads, an etched dialpad sliding over a Treo qwerty keyboard would be the berries - now we're talking. Hey, one of you photoshop gurus need to do a mock up of a jewel like that.
    The *only* thing I dont' like about using my Treo as a phone is that I can't "touch dial" - so I comlpetely understand your desire for a number pad...

However...I'm not a fan of a moving parts on a PDA. The 6700 - for example -- I have a sneaky suspicion that within the next 12-16 months you'll hear from a lot of people about how the slider mechanism is wearing out...

What if you were to simply add a row of number keys between the current keyboard and the bottom of the screen? Just have some large-ish 0 through 9 number keys in a straight line? One you re-learn to dial the phone using the numbers in a line -- I'd think touch dialiing would be relatively simple...
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    The *only* thing I dont' like about using my Treo as a phone is that I can't "touch dial"...
    What do you mean by touchdial?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    What do you mean by touchdial?
    Without looking at the keypad... it's awfully difficult to dial by touch on a touchscreen...there's no tactile response.

Take a look at this half-@ss mock up...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Without looking at the keypad... it's awfully difficult to dial by touch on a touchscreen...there's no tactile response.

That looks good.

Nice attempt but I really don't like your mockup design as it's counter productive and unnecessary. Reason being when in phone mode the Treo recognizes the already included number pad on the Qwerty keyboard. So why would there be a need to add even more number keys or seperate the number pad entirely? Besides I haven't experienced any issue using the Treo's touchscreen display if I don't want to use the keyboard.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    Nice attempt but I really don't like your mockup design as it's counter productive and unnecessary. Reason being when in phone mode the Treo recognizes the already included number pad on the Qwerty keyboard. So why would there be a need to add even more number keys or seperate the number pad entirely? Besides I haven't experienced any issue using the Treo's touchscreen display if I don't want to use the keyboard.
    I hate using the qwerty keypad for dialiing. I understand it's available...but you can't dial easily while driving in the car! A separate number pad also has the benefit that it could be used as a sort of "function key" pad as well. Imagine having 10 keys to hard code to your favorite programs or macros?

Not exactly what I had in mind, but that might just work. It would have the great added benefit of not having to "shift" to enter numbers in everything.

EDITED: I hadn't even thought of the function key possibilities - that would be awesome, particularly in WM5 devices. NEVER enough buttons there.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Not exactly what I had in mind, but that might just work. It would have the great added benefit of not having to "shift" to enter numbers in everything.

EDITED: I hadn't even thought of the function key possibilities - that would be awesome, particularly in WM5 devices. NEVER enough buttons there.
    Heck...if nothing else, I got a good Avatar out of it.
    Heck...if nothing else, I got a good Avatar out of it.
    MAKE ONE MORE CHANGE BEFORE THE AVATAR -

Go over to your Apple/Palm marriage thread - do a split screen with WM5 on one side, Palm OS on the other, and add the Apple logo....

Man, we need to start a Perry campaign - WE WILL WILL IT TO HAPPEN.
    I hate using the qwerty keypad for dialiing. I understand it's available...but you can't dial easily while driving in the car! A separate number pad also has the benefit that it could be used as a sort of "function key" pad as well. Imagine having 10 keys to hard code to your favorite programs or macros?
    Not necessary if people would use the technology available such as voice dialing software (ie: VoiceDialit) with a Bluetooth or handsfree wired headset. After all both hands should be on the steering wheel with your eyes focused on the road, not your Treo when in motion. Doing it this way avoids vehicle collisions or turning pedestrians into roadkill.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Anyone interested? I'm posting over in the Apple/Palm thread in a sec with this Revelationary...um...I mean Revolutionary cross pollination...
    Not necessary if people would use the technology available such as voice dialing software (ie: VoiceDialit) with a Bluetooth or handsfree wired headset. After all both hands should be on the steering wheel with your eyes focused on the road, not your Treo when in motion. Doing it this way avoids vehicle collisions or turning pedestrians into roadkill.

Your Treo work with Voicedialing and a BT headset?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Your Treo work with Voicedialing and a BT headset?
    On the Treo 650 handsfree voice dialing only works with a wired headset. As for your Bluetooth comment well I didn't specify which Treo. The Treo 700w for example which uses Windows Mobile 5.0 supports voice dialing with a Bluetooth headset. Unfortunately at this time neither Palm or third party software developers have been able to provide PalmOS Garnet users (ie: Treo 600/650) with the ability to use true voice dialing functionality with a Bluetooth headset. I really don't understand why Palm believes consumers will find it more attractive to go through hoops trying to get their Treo to work with third party software that is not free just to behave like other cellular devices where the functionality is built in.
    On the Treo 650 handsfree voice dialing only works with a wired headset. As for your Bluetooth comment well I didn't specify which Treo. The Treo 700w for example which uses Windows Mobile 5.0 supports voice dialing with a Bluetooth headset. Unfortunately at this time neither Palm or third party software developers have been able to provide PalmOS Garnet users (ie: Treo 600/650) with the ability to use true voice dialing functionality with a Bluetooth headset. I really don't understand why Palm believes consumers will find it more attractive to go through hoops trying to get their Treo to work with third party software that is not free just to behave like other cellular devices where the functionality is built in.
    Thank you for all that redundant information. I was be facetious.
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Doing it this way avoids vehicle collisions or turning pedestrians into roadkill.
    Then what's the fun of driving?
    Driving's fun?
    It'll be fun.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast