Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Like lawsuits and "borrowed" technology?
    As if Apple Computers doesn't have enough problems with Apple Music
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    As if Apple Computers doesn't have enough problems with Apple Music
    Apple won a big lawsuit today.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    YIPEEE! You are correct my porcelain friend
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    YIPEEE! You are correct my porcelain friend
    I'll bet in his day, your avatar spent some time with mine.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    <chuckle>

100% Correct! Apple IS a hardware company but more than that they are morphing into a Consumer Electronics company that sells hardware with the best UI available. They are successful because they control the whole integration of Hardware and software for a fantastic UI. That is why the ipod is better than other players out there and that s why apple has such an amazingly loyal PC following.

Apple is to the CE and PC world what Porsche is the the Automotive world. High end, low volume and High profit and great owner loyalty. (ipods are an exception to the low volume rule based upon their amazing success)
    Well said.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Like lawsuits and "borrowed" technology?
    You truly believe that? Remember where we are... A TREO board... Hey, I love Palm, have since the PalmPilot professional. But I am sorry, Blackberry rocks and it seems pretty darn original to me.
    By the way, the reason you are seeing all these lawsuits are, as put by Visto's CEO, about jockying for a position in what he and I believe will be the next desktop, the palm or our hand... :-)
    Really!?!?!? I thought it was Symbian's
    Not the browser. I think Apple is also providing the JAVA engine.
    100% Correct! Apple IS a hardware company but more than that they are morphing into a Consumer Electronics company that sells hardware with the best UI available. They are successful because they control the whole integration of Hardware and software for a fantastic UI. That is why the ipod is better than other players out there and that s why apple has such an amazingly loyal PC following.
    Well, you are partially correct. Apple IS "successful because they control the whole integration of Hardware and software for a fantastic UI."

So if they didn't have that famous integration of software that you mention AND that famous UI that you also mention (both of your points here are software features) they wouldn't have anything. This is evidenced by the enormous success of the iPod. Look at all of the failed attempts and the lost battles over the last 5 years. Anyone can slap a pair of headphones onto a hard drive. So what differentiates these hundreds of players from Apple's iPod? It's the software! The software is what gives these two important things that you mention, the integration and the interface.

I CAN'T BELIEVE NO ONE GETS THIS? Everyone seems to understand what makes Apple so great but then they turn around and refuse to acknowledge it. It is the software that makes the money for Apple.

Aaaaaaarrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Well, you are partially correct. Apple IS "successful because they control the whole integration of Hardware and software for a fantastic UI."

So if they didn't have that famous integration of software that you mention AND that famous UI that you also mention (both of your points here are software features) they wouldn't have anything. This is evidenced by the enormous success of the iPod. Look at all of the failed attempts and the lost battles over the last 5 years. What differentiates the hundreds of players from Apples? It's the software! The software is what gives these two important things that you mention, the integration and the interface.

I CAN'T BELIEVE NO ONE GETS THIS? Everyone seems to understand what makes Apple so great but then they turn around and refuse to acknowledge it. It is the software that makes the money for Apple.

Aaaaaaarrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!

It is the WHOLE package. software without the hardware would not an Apple success make.

They are buying the entire experience....

Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Archie,

You're right, it is sunny outside, so I will have to do a larger post later to vaporize that reality distortion field...

- MS support Firewire just fine...been using it for years (it's my preferred protocol over USB2) It's a shame Apple couldn't make one of the "many" (ha) open source contributions by giving firewire away royalty free instead of charging a rediculous fee. Imagine, FW800 could've been the defacto standard today.

OK, I see on support.microsoft.com that they finally started to support the old IEEE 1394 Firewire standard 16 months ago. Welcome to the 21st century. A little late I'd say considering it was designed by Apple back in 1985 and adapted by IEEE in 1995. It took them a decade to finally support it and the only reason they did was because Firewire 800 is now the standard for everyone else. Meanwhile, Apple will be incorporating FireWire 1600 and/or 3200 this fall.

I can't believe you always have a way of spin-doctoring whatever I say to make it sound the way you want it to and to portray yourself as correct.

- Your "Apple is a software company" mantra is almost identical to Sun and McNealy...and we know how that has fared...
    Apple make most of it's money (I'd have to pull a 10-K or annual report for the specific) from HARDWARE. Always have, always will.

Again, I ask, why would someone buy and iBook to run Windows? Because they want the sexy hardware (I don't fault the approach, it's like buying a BMW/Mercedes/etc.)
    Ummm... perhaps more importantly, people will want a Mac and boot camp for reasons like:

it's actually easier to install Microsoft's Windows on a Mac than it is a PC because of the installation of all the drivers - software

it comes with an incredible piece of software that lets you perform an in-place disk partitioning using a FAT-32 or NTFS disk without reformatting - simply incredible software

this software based dual-booting strategy gives users access to MORE software

While I'm on the topic of Bootcamp, it should be apparent that this strategic move illustrates that Apple is not afraid to take on Microsoft (this is also illustrated in the recent television campaign that started last week). Can you see what I am getting at here.

Apple is a software company that is competing head on with another software company.
    Re: MPEG-4, sure it was based on QT, but as it evolved, Apple tried to suck royalites out, which delay and limited support of the standard. As for waking up, remember that all containers are not equal, and that .MOV =! .MP4.
    Dude, it wasn't Apple that was trying to suck royalties, it was the standards body. You memory seems a little skewed. If you look back you will discover that Apple was delaying their QT 6 release for a while because it was Apple who was getting screwed. Apple was the company that came up with the technology for MPEG-4 only to then be required to pay royalties to distribute it with QT. How jacked is that? All said and done and Apple still has to pay a royalty to distribute their own software.

Re: using other MP3 players, to quote Apple's site:

"Songs purchased using the iTunes Music Store can (only) be played on iPod"
    I don't know where you got that quote from. It isn't correct. Look at the SLVR, RAZR, ROKR, the numerous car units - too many to mention, AND, I can't forget about the recent news from Sony and their surprise announcement of making their digital Walkman music players compatible with AAC (my guess though is that they probably won't be supporting the DRMed .mP4).

In other word, it's closed. My original comment about locking was really in reference to locking an iPod to one PC library, but this is in the same vein.
    Check out the iTunes Library Manager 4.2.5.

iTunes is more open than any other system. The DRM is vastly more flexible than M$ DRM. You can play more than twice the number of formats that the Microsoft Windows stuff supports (including formats like Ogg Vorbis and WMF or whatever it's called). And all those other DRMed music stores - they are all limited/tied to Microsoft Windows.

Also, were you referring to this "substantial" list? :

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75451

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93548

I couldn't stop laughing...
    Well, I think players from the likes of Creative, Rio, Bang & Olufsen, Nike, Nakamichi and now Sony too, does make for quite a substantial list. Here are a few.

Nomad II

Nomad II MG

Nomad II c

Nomad Jukebox

Nomad Jukebox 20GB

Nomad Jukebox C

Novad MuVo

Rio One

Rio 500

Rio 600

Rio 800

Rio 900

Rio S10

Rio S11

Rio S30S

Rio S35S

Rio S50

Rio Chiba

Rio Fuse

Rio Cali

psa]play 60

psa]play 120

SoundSpace 2

RioVolt SP250

RioVolt SP100

RioVolt SP90

B&O BeSound2

And finally...why don't you read the financials before you start showing your ignorance. Let's look at Apple's 10-K from Feb 2006:

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/060203/aapl10-q.html

94% of sales is hardware
    6% of sales is software

Their business model is CLEARLY hardware, not software.
    These figures you are pulling are pertaining to Apple's pro level applications, like Logic Pro, Shake, Final Cut Pro and Aperature.

The consumer level applications (what Apple is really known for and excels at) are for all intentsand purposes, included with the hardware - except about 3%-6%. There are no numbers for those software packages when you look at Apple's business model the way that you do.

Look at these software packages that are bundled with a consumer level Mac.
    iLife $80
    Omni Outliner $40
    Quicken 2006 $70
    Comic Life $25
    Mac OS X 10.4 $130
    Big Bang Games $30
    Nanosaur 2 $35

That's $410 dollars right there. $90 more and you have got the price of a Mac mini.

So to continue you also get a 90 day trial usage of iWorks. Pretty good deal considering they will update it again in just 7 months (iWork and iLife are always updated at the beginning of the year). That's worth something - let's say $10?

Plus the software that you can't buy but comes installed with any new Mac today, like Front Row and Photo Booth (and if you pay any attention to the Mac community at all, you would know that people are clambering for the chance to pay for these apps as well). And then you also get all the surprises on the developer tools disk included with every Mac.

Well anyway, add those up and that is more than the price of a Mac mini.

Oh, some Macs also come with Omni Graffle, $80.

Now do you get it???
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Now do you get it???
    Very informative post with facts to back it up. To answer your question, my guess is no, he doesn't get it and he never will.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345