Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    It's sunny outside, so I am gonna make this quick.
    I HAVE seen a NeXT Cube and the OS (though admittedly, I am not the majority - but if you remember 1986 and 87 clearly, everyone knew what it was for a couple years anyway)

What do you think the ISO commitee built MP4 on Mike, it was QuickTime technologies!!!!! Wake up.

Have you seen the list of MP3 players on Apple's website that are combatible with iTunes. Yeh, I didn't think so. It is substantial.

Apple is a software company and I don't understand why YOU cannot grasp this. I will go so far as to concede that they obviously need to sell hardware (as they supply the "whole widget" and they depend on the money from hardware sales to fund the software because of their business model), BUT it is the software they excel at. For example, it was their software technology that was used for MP4. How about this, it is their software technology that Nike uses for their Nike branded phones. It is their software technology that Nokia uses for their series 60 phones and all of its clones and licensees. It is their software technology that Motorola uses for music players on the ROKR and the SLVR. No one company has ever contributed to open source software technologies more than Apple has. The list goes on and on.

Hmmm... Microsoft doesn't support Firewire. That is the the first to come to mind. Microsoft creates standards and forces them down peoples throats. They do this to lock their position in the market. It works. I wouldn't call that open. They only support what will make them money directly.

Apple goes out of its way to interoperate with M$ because it has to break M$ stranglehold.

Microsoft goes out of its way to not work with their competitors because it will assure their stranglehold.

I agree.
    Boy...I'd hate to see a "normal" or "long" response...
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Apple has on average 1-2 patents per week revealed to the public by the US Patent & Trademark Office. Well, actually more like 3 or 4 per week, but 1-2 of them on average reveal technologies relating to handhelds and communication devices. Apple has a lot of innovative things happening.

In contrast Palm has had 2 patents this year. One involves the regression of screen display capabilities in an effort to save battery life (par from Palm in that they have been taking away from the user experience to make it worse for the last 4 years). The other is a patent that describes screwing on the stylus tip to the D-pad to give the user joystick action, which is ridiculous because the purpose of the D-pad is to enable one-finger operation to do this you have to take the time to use both hands to set this up and the benefits would range from being limited to actually having a negative impact).

Let's not forget that Palm bought the Treo from hadspring. The only thing they have done to improve it since this purchase was to include a higher rez screen, oh wait, this was actually something that Handspring had actually incorporated into the next design before Palm actually bought them, so never mind.
    Patents or no...I think "He whos buys the most competitors wins" is probably more apt...
    Archie,

You're right, it is sunny outside, so I will have to do a larger post later to vaporize that reality distortion field...

- MS support Firewire just fine...been using it for years (it's my preferred protocol over USB2) It's a shame Apple couldn't make one of the "many" (ha) open source contributions by giving firewire away royalty free instead of charging a rediculous fee. Imagine, FW800 could've been the defacto standard today.

- Your "Apple is a software company" mantra is almost identical to Sun and McNealy...and we know how that has fared...
    Apple make most of it's money (I'd have to pull a 10-K or annual report for the specific) from HARDWARE. Always have, always will.

Again, I ask, why would someone buy and iBook to run Windows? Because they want the sexy hardware (I don't fault the approach, it's like buying a BMW/Mercedes/etc.)

More later..
    Apple is a hardware company, always has been.

Apple make very good software just to drive the sales of its hardware.

Apple doesn't even care if you install the copy of OSX on all the Mac in your house. There isn't even a seriel number for the OS.

Apple also make iTunes/iTMS tie in to drive sales of iPods. iTMS hardly make any money with its 99 cents per song download. Most of the profit comes from iPod sales.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    WalMart
    That was good. I LOVE WALMART!
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    It is their software technology that Nokia uses for their series 60 phones and all of its clones and licensees.
    Really!?!?!? I thought it was Symbian's
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7

Apple doesn't even care if you install the copy of OSX on all the Mac in your house. There isn't even a serial number for the OS.

Apple also make iTunes/iTMS tie in to drive sales of iPods. it's hardly make any money with its 99 cents per song download. Most of the profit comes from iPod sales.
    100% Correct! Apple IS a hardware company but more than that they are morphing into a Consumer Electronics company that sells hardware with the best UI available. They are successful because they control the whole integration of Hardware and software for a fantastic UI. That is why the ipod is better than other players out there and that s why apple has such an amazingly loyal PC following.

Apple is to the CE and PC world what Porsche is the the Automotive world. High end, low volume and High profit and great owner loyalty. (ipods are an exception to the low volume rule based upon their amazing success)
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Archie,

You're right, it is sunny outside, so I will have to do a larger post later to vaporize that reality distortion field...
    Ughhhh. Please don't. You two need you're own Spy vs. Spy thread.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7

Apple doesn't even care if you install the copy of OSX on all the Mac in your house. There isn't even a seriel number for the OS.

Apple also make iTunes/iTMS tie in to drive sales of iPods. iTMS hardly make any money with its 99 cents per song download. Most of the profit comes from iPod sales.

I couldn't have put it better myself.
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    Apple is to the CE and PC world what Porsche is the the Automotive world. High end, low volume and High profit and great owner loyalty. (ipods are an exception to the low volume rule based upon their amazing success)
    Well they (Apple) are trying to move to a media broker/distributor position. I can see they doing very well with music distribution but not movies. HD video disc will get popular before the internet is fast enough for you the download the movies. Plus the movie studios are getting smarter this time around.

The Porsche comaprison is actually very pretty good since Porsche is also taking large stake of a different and much bigger company (VAG). I think Porsche should remind small and agile, otherwise these extra business will come back and bite them in the *** eventually.
    I agree. As a Porsche and Apple fanatic, I see many parallels in the two companies within their respective industries. Of note, Porsche was named again the #1 luxury marque among automobiles by consumers. Same for Apple in the computer industry.

YoungTurk
    Sprint Treo 650
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Porsche 911 Cabriolet
    Insertion,

SAND
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungTurk
    I agree. As a Porsche and Apple fanatic, I see many parallels in the two companies within their respective industries. Of note, Porsche was named again the #1 luxury marque among automobiles by consumers. Same for Apple in the computer industry.

YoungTurk
    Sprint Treo 650
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Porsche 911 Cabriolet
    Not yet fully on board with the Apple PC but I am a HUGE iPod/iTunes Fan, ipod soon to be hard wired into my boxster.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Not yet fully on board with the Apple PC but I am a HUGE iPod/iTunes Fan, ipod soon to be hard wired into my boxster.
    Then you may need my avatar for a download or two.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Then you may need my avatar for a download or two.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Oh, I thought you said boxers.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Oh, I thought you said boxers.
    ROTFLMAO!

It's sunny outside, (snip)...

What do you think the ISO commitee built MP4 on Mike, it was QuickTime technologies!!!!! Wake up.

Have you seen the list of MP3 players on Apple's website that are combatible with iTunes. Yeh, I didn't think so. It is substantial.

Apple is a software company and I don't understand why YOU cannot grasp this. I will go so far as to concede that they obviously need to sell hardware (as they supply the "whole widget" and they depend on the money from hardware sales to fund the software because of their business model), BUT it is the software they excel at. (snip)
    Re: MPEG-4, sure it was based on QT, but as it evolved, Apple tried to suck royalites out, which delay and limited support of the standard. As for waking up, remember that all containers are not equal, and that .MOV =! .MP4.

Re: using other MP3 players, to quote Apple's site:

"Songs purchased using the iTunes Music Store can (only) be played on iPod"

In other word, it's closed. My original comment about locking was really in reference to locking an iPod to one PC library, but this is in the same vein.

Also, were you referring to this "substantial" list? :

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75451

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93548

I couldn't stop laughing...

And finally...why don't you read the financials before you start showing your ignorance. Let's look at Apple's 10-K from Feb 2006:

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/060203/aapl10-q.html

94% of sales is hardware
    6% of sales is software

Their business model is CLEARLY hardware, not software.

Check and mate.
    I think there's a better chance for Apple to take over RIM than PALM. RIM has everything Apple would want including entry to the ENTERPRISE market!!! That's a marriage made in heaven!!!!
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elmaldonado
    RIM has everything Apple would want including entry to the ENTERPRISE market!!! That's a marriage made in heaven!!!!
    Like lawsuits and "borrowed" technology?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast