Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Does the 8125 get GSM's version of EDVO?
    How about you doom, you know the answer?
    WTF...not a another apple-palm merger thread...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 05/06/2006 at 03:34 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    WTF...not a naother apple-palm merger thread...
    YES! I missed the avatar.
    Won't happen. Apple generally does not buy things they did not "create".

NeXT was a fluke - it was a ego stroke to get Jobs back, who was on the verge of running NeXT into the ground. It gave him "vindication", albeit hollow and false. Nothing from NeXT amounted to anything at Apple (spare me the OS X drivel).

Apple is riding a high wave right now...but the iPod is nearing end-of-life (2-3 years). iTunes is the only thing that makes iPods desirable - once Sandisk, Sony, and others figure that out (maybe they won't - Sony has had 6 years), it will be tougher to charge the premium.

My money is on Google making Google Music - completely open Library Managment, and a subscription service ala Rhapsody.
    The iPods "closed" model will be it's downfall, just like the Mac.

And yes, it's good to see that Bootcamp proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Apple is a hardware company, not a software company, as many people tout. Apple will sell more laptops in the next 5 years to people who want to run Windows than they have sold in the last 15 years combined.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Won't happen. Apple generally does not buy things they did not "create".

NeXT was a fluke - it was a ego stroke to get Jobs back, who was on the verge of running NeXT into the ground. It gave him "vindication", albeit hollow and false. Nothing from NeXT amounted to anything at Apple (spare me the OS X drivel).

Apple is riding a high wave right now...but the iPod is nearing end-of-life (2-3 years). iTunes is the only thing that makes iPods desirable - once Sandisk, Sony, and others figure that out (maybe they won't - Sony has had 6 years), it will be tougher to charge the premium.

My money is on Google making Google Music - completely open Library Managment, and a subscription service ala Rhapsody.

And yes, it's good to see that Bootcamp proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Apple is a hardware company, not a software company, as many people tout. Apple will sell more laptops in the next 5 years to people who want to run Windows than they have sold in the last 15 years combined.
    Pixar? Jobs bought it, he didn't create it.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

Wrong again. Sony (as well as everyone else) has made several attempts to topple them and can't come close. Apple got it right the first time and will continue to dominate because they continually upgrade their product - unlike Palm.
    Pixar? Jobs bought it, he didn't create it.

Yup...Lucas created Pixar I recall then sold it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Yup...Lucas created Pixar I recall then sold it...
    You are correct, the company was more than 10 years old when he bought it.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    You are correct, the company was more than 10 years old when he bought it.
    What was that about topic drift, again?
    How about you doom, you know the answer?
    The 8125 does not do HSDPA (the GSM 3G analog to EVDO). It maxes out at 150-180kbs at best on EDGE, which is similar to Sprint Vision. I'vee had both, and I think EDGE is a little faster. If you're looking for 3G, you'll have to wait for the Hermes - I'd guess year end. It will show up as Cingular fleshes out its HSDPA part of the network.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Dude! I spent three hours pitching a customer on that phone this morning. (Yes, they bought it.)
    One question. Is there no hard button to take you back to the today screen like the 6700 has? Because that is truly suck-tacular if that's the case!!!!!
    Just hit the red phone key on right side - it sends you back to the Today screen. And don't forget to get smartekeys - it's essential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    In all it's glory?
    Let's sell it to Jobs and retire on the royalties
    There are rumors of Apple developing an "iPhone". I don't think Apple would ever think about purchasing Palm. Apple is known (and likes it that way) for being innovative, and there's just nothing innovative about the Treo. Why spend all kinds of money to purchase a company like Palm when they can build a new phone from the ground up. It would be much cheaper to do it this way.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    I can't believe you refuse to admit that NeXT was Apple's only saving grace back on that day before Christmas in '96. If you don't think OSX is a good piece of software you're blind.

Apple is riding a high wave right now...but the iPod is nearing end-of-life (2-3 years). iTunes is the only thing that makes iPods desirable
    I agree, Apple's software and services IS what makes the iPod sell so popularly.

I've said it once and I'll say it again (just like every other response here in this post of mine), the Mac is the most open platform on earth. It has to be if it wants to stay alive.

Apple cycles its software far more rapidly than Microsoft. Apple generates 2-3 times more software revenue annually from each of its active customers than Microsoft does its corporate users.

People buy the hardware to get the software (You just said it yourself but skirt the issue and refuse to align with the facts that I lay before you for some reason). And now Apple is providing a software solution for Windows users to try out the Mac software yet still fall back on their familar Windows world should they so desire.
    Apple has on average 1-2 patents per week revealed to the public by the US Patent & Trademark Office. Well, actually more like 3 or 4 per week, but 1-2 of them on average reveal technologies relating to handhelds and communication devices. Apple has a lot of innovative things happening.

In contrast Palm has had 2 patents this year. One involves the regression of screen display capabilities in an effort to save battery life (par from Palm in that they have been taking away from the user experience to make it worse for the last 4 years). The other is a patent that describes screwing on the stylus tip to the D-pad to give the user joystick action, which is ridiculous because the purpose of the D-pad is to enable one-finger operation to do this you have to take the time to use both hands to set this up and the benefits would range from being limited to actually having a negative impact).

Let's not forget that Palm bought the Treo from hadspring. The only thing they have done to improve it since this purchase was to include a higher rez screen, oh wait, this was actually something that Handspring had actually incorporated into the next design before Palm actually bought them, so never mind.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Apple equals tomorrow's technology, Palm equals yesterday's technology.
    Archie and the Apple lovers are alive and well I see.

So many items to address, so little time...

First, regarding Pixar - it is ENTERTAINMENT CONTENT company, not a CONSUMER ELECTRONIC company. My comment about "create" was referring to devices (ex. Treo), but I should have clarified that.

And who owns Pixar now? :-)

As for NeXT, have you ever seen a next cube or the OS? I didn't think so. I never said OS X wasn't a nice OS, but don't somehow make the connection that NeXT evolved into OS X. Did not happen that way.

As for the comment "people buy hardware to get software", that make zero sense. People buy hardware for hardware. Why else would someone buy a iBook and run Windows? Oh, I remember: they like the sexy hardware, but want to the OS and apps that 99% of the rest of the world runs. Apple is a hardware company, which makes software (closed software, I might add - see example of Quicktime rather the true mp4, or iTunes locked to iPods, etc.)

As for the "Mac is the most open platform out there", that is laughable. I mean, sure, it's more open than the days of NuBus Macs, but it's nothing like Wintel.

Sony has been miserable at addressing the iPod, I think we all agree on that. The hardware has been nice, but locking it to the SonicStage software is like iTunes...except SobicStage sucks arse. And let's not even start on ATRAC...

Sony has embarassed themselves repeatedly over the years....I'm sure they will do it again. But I tell you right now, if I could use iTunes with the Sony "beans" right now, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Anyway, the point was the Apple is not going to by Palm. There is nothing in it for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Are they engaged? Where are they registered?
    WalMart
    Funny how Jobs now owns 7% of Disney/ABC/Cap Cities (more then any other shareholder). Talk about an amazing rise in the business world and no doubt a plan to "Appleize" the media world away from old delivery methods to those of new media. Look for somehow this to get into satellite radio and a bunch of other things none of us has dreamed of. Memory card delivery of music instead of CD's which have to be shipped and inventoried. Movies you burn yourself at home off a simple card you take into a store and download while getting your groceries or filling up your gas tank. This is the future and it is all very cool thanks to visionaries. If the iPods planned for future release I have been reading about materialize they have again crushed the competition with innovation unlike anything we have seen to date.
    It's sunny outside, so I am gonna make this quick.
    Archie and the Apple lovers are alive and well I see.

So many items to address, so little time...

First, regarding Pixar - it is ENTERTAINMENT CONTENT company, not a CONSUMER ELECTRONIC company. My comment about "create" was referring to devices (ex. Treo), but I should have clarified that.

And who owns Pixar now? :-)

As for NeXT, have you ever seen a next cube or the OS? I didn't think so. I never said OS X wasn't a nice OS, but don't somehow make the connection that NeXT evolved into OS X. Did not happen that way.
    I HAVE seen a NeXT Cube and the OS (though admittedly, I am not the majority - but if you remember 1986 and 87 clearly, everyone knew what it was for a couple years anyway)

As for the comment "people buy hardware to get software", that make zero sense. People buy hardware for hardware. Why else would someone buy a iBook and run Windows? Oh, I remember: they like the sexy hardware, but want to the OS and apps that 99% of the rest of the world runs. Apple is a hardware company, which makes software (closed software, I might add - see example of Quicktime rather the true mp4, or iTunes locked to iPods, etc.)
    What do you think the ISO commitee built MP4 on Mike, it was QuickTime technologies!!!!! Wake up.

Have you seen the list of MP3 players on Apple's website that are combatible with iTunes. Yeh, I didn't think so. It is substantial.

Apple is a software company and I don't understand why YOU cannot grasp this. I will go so far as to concede that they obviously need to sell hardware (as they supply the "whole widget" and they depend on the money from hardware sales to fund the software because of their business model), BUT it is the software they excel at. For example, it was their software technology that was used for MP4. How about this, it is their software technology that Nike uses for their Nike branded phones. It is their software technology that Nokia uses for their series 60 phones and all of its clones and licensees. It is their software technology that Motorola uses for music players on the ROKR and the SLVR. No one company has ever contributed to open source software technologies more than Apple has. The list goes on and on.

As for the "Mac is the most open platform out there", that is laughable. I mean, sure, it's more open than the days of NuBus Macs, but it's nothing like Wintel.
    Hmmm... Microsoft doesn't support Firewire. That is the the first to come to mind. Microsoft creates standards and forces them down peoples throats. They do this to lock their position in the market. It works. I wouldn't call that open. They only support what will make them money directly.

Apple goes out of its way to interoperate with M$ because it has to break M$ stranglehold.

Microsoft goes out of its way to not work with their competitors because it will assure their stranglehold.

Anyway, the point was the Apple is not going to by Palm. There is nothing in it for them.
    I agree.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast