1.    #1  
    My contract with Sprint is coming up in the middle of July, and I've decided to switch over to Cingular. (It's kind of hard not to since 80% of the people I talk to are on Cingular and I keep going further and further over my minutes every month!)

I'd really like to get a Treo when I switch. I'd really hate to get the 650 if the 700 will be coming out shortly!

My question for you guys is, does anyone have a guess as to when the next Treo will be coming out for Cingular? Everyone here seems to be preoccupied with the upcoming 700(W/I/P) for Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmattyh
    My question for you guys is, does anyone have a guess as to when the next Treo will be coming out for Cingular?
    Yes, tomorrow. If it doesn't, you can close this thread.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  3.    #3  
    How about wagering a Starbuck's gift card?
    How about wagering a Starbuck's gift card?
    I'm not Perry! I have no sources!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    have been told it was in testing, and was told that cingular would not carry a new Treo so I should get the 8125.

No one knows
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    No one knows
    That is the cold, hard truth.
    I was told today from a customer service rep that Treo 700w failed Cingular's testing and they won't be releasing it. However, the same guy also told me that Palm stopped making phones with Palm OS so I basically told him that he didn't know what he was talking about and left. But it is still possible that the 700w did in fact fail Cingular's testing.
    My contract with Sprint is coming up in the middle of July, and I've decided to switch over to Cingular. (It's kind of hard not to since 80% of the people I talk to are on Cingular and I keep going further and further over my minutes every month!)

I'd really like to get a Treo when I switch. I'd really hate to get the 650 if the 700 will be coming out shortly!

My question for you guys is, does anyone have a guess as to when the next Treo will be coming out for Cingular? Everyone here seems to be preoccupied with the upcoming 700(W/I/P) for Sprint.
    You might be interested in this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=141
    For Palm to not release a GSM Treo this year or to not continue to release POS Treos would be akin to them saying "we are no longer interested in 50% of our customer base". Palm, aside from their Windows / Verizon thing, seems to be set on a 18 month release cycle. Anything over two years doesn't make sense as it gives customers the opportunity to opt out of their carrier contracts.

The 700 on Sprint will arrive in the next 30 days or so....just about 1.5 years ..... add 1.5 to CNG's February release date and that puts us into at least August....my guess is September - November 2006.
    i have heard though that the push for this new treo will not be that hard because of the next gen of 3g smartphones coming out. i know the treo did well for cingular but i have heard that the hoopla is being saved for the hollywood and the hermes
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    .. add 1.5 to CNG's February release date and that puts us into at least August....my guess is September - November 2006.
    Man, that would seriously suck. Are those other new phones suppose to be better than the 700p, from what everyone's sources say?!
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    If ya read here, while the Motley Fool is trashing the 700w,

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5161.html

it says:

"The next Windows Mobile Treo will be supporting totally different radio interface - UMTS/GSM instead of CDMA EVDO and if the same probelms will surface also with this new Treo, then either Palm should change hardware manufacturer/designer or Microsoft should do more testing."

What about the data plan on Cingular (39.95) Hate to see you leave Sprint. Also your data speeds are much faster with Sprint. But then again you can use your 700 anywhere in the world with your GSM. Hopefully we will see some more info on a release of the Treo 700 for GSM soon When we thought Hollywood was GSM, the release date was in the fall.

Have a good day!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    What about the data plan on Cingular (39.95) Hate to see you leave Sprint. Also your data speeds are much faster with Sprint.
    Unlimited Data Plan (MediaNet) $19.95
    Unlimited Data Plan w/ VPN (PDANet) $39.95

BB's need VPN, Treos don't unless you are accessing a private network.

As for speed, EDGE is faster than the non EVDO service. Problem is latency as EDGE stops, goes fast, stops , goes fast so it works out to be about the same user experience on routine usage. For large d/l's and graphics heavy web pages, EDGE has a speed advantage a slatency matters much less.

Now the Sprint 700 will have EVDO and if you are in a EVDO capable area that means top speeds of just under 1 Mbps. I am in the US's 22nd largest county and no EVDO in sight. OTOH, no HSDPA on GSM in sight either. The big question is what HSDPA Palm gives GSM users. Originally Cingular was going to roll out HSDPA 1.8 (1 Mbps) and then after further testing HSDPA 3.6 (2 Mbps). Testing either went faster than expected or they want to continue the leapfrogging process and started rolling out HSDPA in new areas at 3.6 and skipping 1.8 If palm gives us a HSDPA 1.8 device a lotta peeps are gonna be pi$$ed.

All carriers are claiming just about full coverage by the end of this year. Cingular was rolling out 12 -15 new major metro areas a month thru March but I did see one rumor where they have had to stall the rate of progress to concentrate on other things.....must be that huge ad campaign ....actually they did mention "family problems" resulting from the AT & Tingular marriage. Haven't seen the rumor repeated much so it may be just that. One thing's for sure, you can't trust the carriers for accuarte info.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    If ya read here, while the Motley Fool is trashing the 700w,

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5161.html

it says:
    This one falls SQUARELY in the lap of Palm. I've had none of the problems referenced in the original Motley Foll posting on my 8125:

http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2006/mft06042838.htm

Reason being - MEMORY. Any "Fool" company that thinks 32mb of ram will be sufficient for a WM5 OS device, much less a Palm OS device, is an ***** not just a fool. Only Palm would think 32mb is sufficient. The 64mb in the 8125 is adequate, but its running a 200mhz processor and no EVDO.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I would also say you are a "fool" if you expect to run any windows-based operating system and not see crashes and stalls...

I'd agree with you straussy that memory is the primary problem with the 700w. I honestly don't feel that 64MB is enough memory even if you are only remotely approaching the "power user" status. As a casual user of an Ipaq for about 2.5 years (WM2003) I consistently ran into memory issues that froze it up or stalled it for several minutes.

That is NOT something I want to have happening with my phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I would also say you are a "fool" if you expect to run any windows-based operating system and not see crashes and stalls...

I'd agree with you straussy that memory is the primary problem with the 700w. I honestly don't feel that 64MB is enough memory even if you are only remotely approaching the "power user" status. As a casual user of an Ipaq for about 2.5 years (WM2003) I consistently ran into memory issues that froze it up or stalled it for several minutes.

That is NOT something I want to have happening with my phone!
    Well, call me a fool then, but WM5 ain't your grandmother's WM2003. I've been using the 8125 since February 17 - not a single reset, lockup, or restart that wasn't related to rebooting after adding new software...not one. Not a single "what did you say" conversation either in those 10 weeks. Maybe I'm just incredibly lucky (should I go buy a Powerball ticket?), but I say it can be done, and neither the Treo 600 nor Treo 650, which I owned both, could say that.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.