Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    So you know, been enticed lately with those liquor store/gas station kiosks that sell the sticker patch antennae booster that stick inside your phone near your battery.

To humor me, does this thing really work? I'd buy it for 5-10 bucks if it even helped a little. I got a sprint phone and occasionally hit 'dead zones' in the city. even one less drop call over the life of the phone actually makes it worthwhile.

Or is it a BIG scam?

Any experience with these? Any techy explainations?
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    if a fix was that simle I bet the carriers would already use them
    I say save your money
    we sell a few of them in our stores and many people report some improvement. those that don't often move on to a Wilson antenna. I have'nt had anyone come in and accuse me of fraud.

I figure for $10 it's worth it to get a little help. YMMV.
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    we sell a few of them in our stores and many people report some improvement. those that don't often move on to a Wilson antenna. I have'nt had anyone come in and accuse me of fraud.

I figure for $10 it's worth it to get a little help. YMMV.
    wouldnt necesarrily start carrying a cb radio around... heheh. yeah, maybe i'll give it a shot and report.... would be nice to know.... i ALWAYS 100% get dropped in this one tunnel using sprint. but before on VZN, it never did. so if i get the sticker and it works in that tunnel, then i'll know...
    1.04-SPNT
    I got one of those sticker antenna for free just about a year ago and stuck under the battery cover near the antenna.

Does it work, I dunno. But I don't have any trouble making a phone call with my trouble free Sprint/T650 anywhere in the US.

Chuck
    I bought one for my Cingular phone I had 2 years ago -- and got a slight qualitative improvement. Whether that was just wishful believing for having spent the $9.99, I do not know. (It gave me 1 bar -- where I was getting zero in a particular location in the city.)

From what I heard -- it's not so much an "antenna booster" as it is an "interference reducer" between the antenna and the battery -- allowing more signal to come thru. . . . . .

Who knows.

Cheers, Perry.
    Mmmmm.. Tasty placebo.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I tried one with my Sprint Treo 650. I didn't notice any real improvement. What I did notice is my phone would pick up an odd beeping noise during a phone call. Took the sticker off and the beep went away. A few days later gave it another shot, and the beeping returned. Decided to stop using it.

There is another comercial product called the Wireless Extender but it is too expensive for me to try.
    Aluminum foil... anyone?
    Are they all the same?
    I thought about getting one, but also questioned if it even works.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    I tried one with my Sprint Treo 650. I didn't notice any real improvement. What I did notice is my phone would pick up an odd beeping noise during a phone call. Took the sticker off and the beep went away. A few days later gave it another shot, and the beeping returned. Decided to stop using it.

There is another comercial product called the Wireless Extender but it is too expensive for me to try.
    any other users hear this beeping noise? i cant imagine the sticker would prompt it to beep unless it picked up a roaming signal perhaps? now, that's some strong signal!
    1.04-SPNT
    The stickers themselves have a printed circuit board look to them -- foil, I assume inside the sticker material -- but there is lots of open space -- it is not a solid piece of "aluminum foil." One can only speculate whether this a "cost savings" measure (tee hee) or whether they actually determined that the foil pattern chosen actually has more interference reduction capabilities than another pattern. . . . .

Wow, we are way over thinking this. . . .
    My guess is, it is mostly snake-oil... something along the lines of
    this one available on eBay.co.in:

http://cgi.ebay.in/VEDIC-HARMONISED-...QQcmdZViewItem

The "Vedic" mumbo-jumbo stuff may "work" here where I live, but
    people elsewhere may find it laughably stupid.

Any antenna designers on-board?

- mvk
    Game over!
    I read an article via Digg the other day about the top 5 things you do NOT buy at Best Buy - this "booster" was #1.

Juat one man's opinion I guess.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    if a fix was that simle I bet the carriers would already use them
    I say save your money
    Wise words indeed. Mobile phone manufacturers invest thousands designing antennas to give the best possible signal - it saves the even greater expense of installing new masts. If there was technology available to boost your signal that easily, it would already be integrated into your phone.

The stickers are a con and the manufacturers are probably quite aware of this fact.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    My guess is, it is mostly snake-oil... something along the lines of
    this one available on eBay.co.in:

http://cgi.ebay.in/VEDIC-HARMONISED-...QQcmdZViewItem

The "Vedic" mumbo-jumbo stuff may "work" here where I live, but
    people elsewhere may find it laughably stupid.

Any antenna designers on-board?

- mvk
    lol "snake-oil". got me chuckling. i personally dont think a $10 piece of circuitry can, but i want to know if this scientifically is even possible... i second greenhex's request to see if there are actually any antenna engineers/designers that can educate us on this. i mean, the 'foil' isnt even powered, which leads to be believe it to be the gingko bilbo of technology.
    1.04-SPNT
    Quote Originally Posted by ike301
    lol "snake-oil". got me chuckling. i personally dont think a $10 piece of circuitry can, but i want to know if this scientifically is even possible... i second greenhex's request to see if there are actually any antenna engineers/designers that can educate us on this. i mean, the 'foil' isnt even powered, which leads to be believe it to be the gingko bilbo of technology.
    not powered. . . . . my point on it not being a "booster" but an interference "reducer", which can be passive. Mind you, I am not defending these things -- just passing along what I was told when I bought one from a phone store -- and I did get "one" more bar (which could be 1/10th of a bar, if the measurement was right on the edge of moving on to the next level of display. . .)

I agree, any antenna engineers/designers out there. . . . .?

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/01/2006 at 01:33 PM.
    Perry...go back and put on your tin foil hat....errr I mean the passive interference reducer
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    The free ones are worth it....you get exactly what you pay for outta them.
    How do you extract oil from snakes?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast