1.    #1  
    I didn't see any discussion of this, and yes I did search (perhaps I missed it, if so 1000 pardons.)

Does anyone know, will the 700p be able to do Bluetooth DUN using EVDO via a Shadowmite-type hack? Or will Palm and/or the service providers strip the DUN code from the 700p, making such a hack unreasonably difficult? Or will Palm and the service providers actually do the right thing and support DUN so that no hack is needed?
    Obviously since this device has not been released or even annouced yet, we know nothing about the 700p. Everything we could say is just speculation, and therefore is useless. Try asking again a few weeks after it gets released.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    I don't think Sprint is going to disable BT DUN.
    Jimmie Geddes
    As above, this is just speculation, but with EVDO Sprint is able to track phone as modem usage. Therefore, I agree with Jimmie (Man, that was hard to type). I doubt they'll disable it because it's another revenue stream for them. You'll either sign up for a phone as modem plan monthly, or they'll bill you casual usage charges everytime you go on of $.02 a kilobyte. Either way, leaving it in makes them money, and that is the surest bet one can make when judging a carrier's future actions.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Hmmm, Sprint can tell the difference in the data packets between me using EVDO as a modem over BT vs. just streaming a lot of video on the phone itself? Seems like there should be hack or maybe a proxy that would make these look the same to them.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Obviously since this device has not been released or even annouced yet, we know nothing about the 700p. Everything we could say is just speculation, and therefore is useless.
    ... and since when has that stopped anyone from posting in this forum???
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Hmmm, Sprint can tell the difference in the data packets between me using EVDO as a modem over BT vs. just streaming a lot of video on the phone itself? Seems like there should be hack or maybe a proxy that would make these look the same to them.
    Maybe but no one has tried. The only other PDA like device w/evdo on Sprint is the 6700 and this one is convientently exempt from the "DUN/evdo tracing". All the other sprint evdo phones however are tracable but hardly hackable.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo
    I didn't see any discussion of this, and yes I did search (perhaps I missed it, if so 1000 pardons.)

Does anyone know, will the 700p be able to do Bluetooth DUN using EVDO via a Shadowmite-type hack? Or will Palm and/or the service providers strip the DUN code from the 700p, making such a hack unreasonably difficult? Or will Palm and the service providers actually do the right thing and support DUN so that no hack is needed?
    With all of the "sources" on this board, you should be able to get two or three totally different answers from the experts. Your best bet is...the old Magic 8 Ball
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    why would you need a haclk for the 700P when you don't for the 650?

DO you know that dun networking is enabled out of the box on the 650N?
    All I can say is that if they disabled Bluetooth DUN on the 700p (and I will wait
    long enough to find out *before* purchase), I would *not* change from my
    Treo 650 in that event.

Bluetooth DUN and wired DUN are just too valuable - they are the SOUL OF THE
    MACHINE (to paraphrase Tracey Kidder.)

Or more to the point, THE NETWORK IS THE SOLUTION.

Everything should go towards connectivity, no man is an island -- woops, I went
    back too far for our pop culture with that John Donne quote. Oh well.

Profit be damned! Connect us you heretics!

Stuart
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    why would you need a haclk for the 700P when you don't for the 650?

DO you know that dun networking is enabled out of the box on the 650N?
    But not all of us are on Nextel. Most other providers aren't so kind to DUNers. Of course, that might be a good reason to switch to Nextel...