Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,

This is my first post here but before I've read the different threads about the famous Hollywood ;-)

I leave in Switzerland, hence the latest Treo we have is 650. I would like to buy a Treo but, for personal and professional reasons I want to have one running Palm OS instead of Windows Mobile.
    I could by the 650, I've even received a mail from Palm Store about their special offer they do until May 4 for the 650 with a 46% discount.
    On the other end, I heard that there should be a new Treo that will be compatible for Europe, and this Treo won't have the antenna anymore.

Therefore, I have some difficulties because I could either:

1. move ahead with a 650 as it is today or
    2. wait for the next Treo (provided that it comes one day) which is smaller than the 650 and without antenna (according to the rumours), BUT there is no guarantee that it will run Palm OS.

What would you advice ?

Thanks in advance
    It really depends on when you need it and what features you need.

If the 650 has everything you need and want, then take advantage of the 46% off, I would.
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
    I wouldn't need it for now, I could wait since I have a Palm m515.
    But, the 650 has all the features I need, however I would be disappointed to buy one now and see 2-3 months later that a new one smaller and without antenna is released with Palm OS.
    On the other hand, I know that the 650 is compatible with the sync tool provided by the company I work for and the IT division, whereas I don't know if it would be the case the first day when the new Treo is released.

If at least I would know for sure (or almost sure) that the new Treo will be a 700p GSM for Europ, then I would go straight forward with a 650 at 46% ;-)

Sometimes it's difficult to make choice :-D
    I'm currently waiting to see if the 700P(CDMA) will come out before Sprint's SERO plan ends at the end of June. It seems pretty realistic the 700P will make it, but it's frustrating witing for something that has a theoretical date while the idea of just waiting without any sign drives me nuts.

Good luck either way.
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
    I seriously doubt that there will be a Europe specify PalmOS Treo... Palm management has strongly hinted that their strategy in Europe is based on Windows Mobile devices... (That's not to say they won't release an unlocked UTMS Treo700P that will work in Europe in the second half of this year).

-Brandorr
    It all remains speculation until they release something...
    Go for the 46% rebate. I think it is unlikely that you will find a better Palm telephone being available to you in the next three months.

1. The successor of the 700P may be announced by Palm in June, but then you will have to wait for the GSM version to be released and stocked by European retailers and phone carriers. This may not be before the end of the year.
    2. Palm may decide not to sell an European 700P and instead promote a "third kind of device" (aka the Hollywood) in Europe. This model may not run Palm OS.
    3. The 700P could have hardware problems (like the Treo 600) or software problems (like the 650) that are not be resolved until 6 months after its release. You may not be compelled to become a user of a beta-device if the difference from the 650 amounts to only more memory, a higher resolution camera and a different keyboard.
    4. Although the 650 is now a two year old model and everybody expects an upgrade to be imminent, it should be noted that some people on this board have been expecting this for over 6 months now. Such a long wait for an illusive device may cause severe emotional problems (ask Perry's daughter) and is ultimately not worth it. Get the 650 and don't think about getting the 700P until it is available from a well reputed retailer that is located in, or ships to, Switzerland. You can then always Ebay your cheap, still-under-warrenty 650 off to get the 700p.
    Its been a long wait and its no where near finshed yet. Just take the release of the 650 its was released in the US firstly on CDMA and then GSM so even when it is relased in the US its going to be a while before us brits get it anyway. But wait i shall ( I have the Kjam to play around with before the 700p, my first windows mobile device)
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Thanks to all for your advices.

I've ordered the Treo 650 limited edition (this includes the bluetooth headset for free of charge) + side case, all with a discount of 46%.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pooh
    Thanks to all for your advices.

I've ordered the Treo 650 limited edition (this includes the bluetooth headset for free of charge) + side case, all with a discount of 46%.
    Enjoy! You will not be disappointed
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    Enjoy! You will not be disappointed
    Hey, is that a threat?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Speaking during the company's quartely earnings announcement, Palm officials said European buyers will probably have to wait until the second quarter of Palm's current fiscal year for the successor to the 650, a Europe-specific product. Palm's Q2 FY2007 runs from October through to the end of December - calendar
    Q4
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07...uro_shipments/
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    How long do Palm need to sort things like this out? The legislation was finalised, after long discussion, 3.5 years ago! Once again, Palm ignores a market twice the size of the USA...Doh!
    The dates in the Register article seem to be out by a month. Palm's financial Q2 2007 is September - November 2006 (but for a couple of days), based on this:

http://www.palm.com/us/company/pr/n...pl?reqid=877784
    Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM) today reported that revenue in its fourth quarter of fiscal year 2006, ended June 2, totaled $403.1 million, up 20 percent from the year-ago quarter. For the full fiscal year 2006, revenue totaled $1.6 billion, up 24 percent from fiscal year 2005.
    Well ya both right as Palm apparently ends it's quarters ona day other than month end.

Quarter 1: June 3 - September 2 or so
    Quarter 2 : September 3 - December 2 or so

I didn't do the math adding 91 and a quarter days each time but thyat's cl;ose enough

http://www.palm.com/us/company/pr/ne...l?reqid=877784
    Quarter 1: June 3 - September 2 or so
    Quarter 2 : September 3 - December 2 or so

I didn't do the math adding 91 and a quarter days each time but thyat's cl;ose enough
    Agreed, and I didn't do the addition either. I was really just pointing out that the Register article that says "Palm's Q2 FY2007 runs from October through to the end of December" is wrong by a month (ish). Potentially new Treo could be September, so toward end of calendar Q3.
    The phone is coming in September to Europe. So expect to get it around then.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerX01
    The phone is coming in September to Europe. So expect to get it around then.
    Hi BoomerX01, I saw this in your thread with the pic (thanks for that!). How sure are you/your source that it's September?
    Is there any 750 P ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast