Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From a Rogers store in Vancouver. They will be getting a 700,supposedly the W but the rep said GSM? This is supposed to be available in June.
    I also talked to a rep from Rogers, they have an unofficial release date around late August. I don't really think a GSM version would be released as soon as the verizon exclusivity expires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevich
    I also talked to a rep from Rogers, they have an unofficial release date around late August. I don't really think a GSM version would be released as soon as the verizon exclusivity expires.
    If I recall correctly Palm stated Verizon had a 6 month exclusive agreement to sell the Treo 700 (CDMA) before any other carrier. If correct then that means the 6 month period ends in June which would provide a release date for other carriers either July or August.

As for the GSM version being released so soon really it's not early when one considers Rogers released the Treo 650 last year to customers. Rogers is also the only GSM provider selling the Treo. Fido (acquired by Rogers) doesn't list the Treo in the product list. Doesn't mean that the Treo won't work for Fido customers, just that to get one on their network it needs to be an unlocked GSM version.

Regarding the Treo 700 GSM unless Palm releases one with different specs I don't think a lot of current Treo 650 customers will bother with upgrading. Reason being it's difficult to justify the cost of purchasing hardware that offers little improvement over the previous model. Those that are new comers to the Treo will most likely purchase the Treo 700.
    ya, I understand the exclusive agreement ends in June. I just don't think Rogers would be the first GSM carrier to have the GSM model. I would assume an American carrier like Cingular to carry it alot sooner than a Canadian one. It just seems we are always the last ones to get stuff.
    Yeah cause the wireless providers don't want to spend the money on phones like that, and the majorty of consumers wont buy them, the only smart phone i see Canadians buying is the moto q, which will only be on CDMA for a while, so if your like me and get sick of waiting, then the next best thing or even better actually is the HTC wizard ie. I-mate K-jam, qtek 9100, Cingular 8125 etc. Great phone btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian studen
    Yeah cause the wireless providers don't want to spend the money on phones like that, and the majorty of consumers wont buy them, the only smart phone i see Canadians buying is the moto q, which will only be on CDMA for a while, so if your like me and get sick of waiting, then the next best thing or even better actually is the HTC wizard ie. I-mate K-jam, qtek 9100, Cingular 8125 etc. Great phone btw.
    I don't understand your comment. Unless you're referring to the majority of "typical" consumers of cellular devices purchase non-smartphones such as youth market that want more voice with music services. Devices such as the Treo, Blackberry and Moto Q target a different market which are those who require more out of their device than simply voice calling or downloading the latest MP3 tunes. The market for the Treo is best viewed as for moderate to heavy users of data (internet/email) services but who also require voice capability. The BB and Moto Q are more suited to businesses where email/sms is of higher importance than users who want to write documents, surf the net or simply don't need the added functionality of the Treo. If you take a look at past and current market demands you'll notice consumers are slowly but steadily wanting more out of their devices than before. Peoples lives are busier and more demanding than before which means people want and need more to help keep their life in order.

As for wireless providers not wanting to spend money on devices such as the Treo please point to some examples. If anything all three major competitors in Canada (Rogers, Telus, Bell) are in demand for smartphones and reason why they sell them to consumers. As for the release date on the next Treo only time will tell as no set date has been announced for Canadian Telecom carriers. Though as I stated before due to the reported Verizon/Palm agreement other carriers in North America should expect to see releases of the Treo 700 by July or the latest August. The only thing that could delay the release to customers is if carriers are dissatisfied with the Treo 700 and are waiting for ALP (Access Linux Platform) to be released. This would be due to what appears that Palm is migrating PalmOS (Garnet) customers over to ALP. So waiting for this release could be considered a better business decision by carriers. Especially if they believe there will be any difficulty getting current PalmOS Treo 650 customers to migrate to a Windows based version of the Treo (700W).
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 05/01/2006 at 07:37 PM.
    Well to answer back, Telus, and Bell just released the Treo in Oct/nov. A year after it's initial releae. Also compare the amoount of "smart phones" of the us carriers to the Canadian carriers. There is only one phone, sold in Canada with WM 5.0. One! There is only one phone in Canada with bulit in wifi, and the phone is sold by the same carrier Telus with there 6700. What I am saying is that I know that we do not have the population like that states to compare to, but for the same part yes they are bring out some new phones with mp3 players, but look at how many smart phone shave been released in the last 6 months for Canadian carriers. There has been one. That is why i am saying that they do not want to spend the money on them cause they believe that they make more money signing people to 3 year contracts and giving them a free phone.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm moving from the States to Toronto in August and this is the first Canadian-centric thread I've seen on TC....

I have a CDMA Treo 650 that I'd like to transfer (assuming the 700p isn't going to be available there anytime soon) - any suggestions for the appropriate forum/thread to get recommendations on carrier, plans, etc.? Somehow, the "CDMA-US" forum doesn't seem appropriate...
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by plaut
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm moving from the States to Toronto in August and this is the first Canadian-centric thread I've seen on TC....

I have a CDMA Treo 650 that I'd like to transfer (assuming the 700p isn't going to be available there anytime soon) - any suggestions for the appropriate forum/thread to get recommendations on carrier, plans, etc.? Somehow, the "CDMA-US" forum doesn't seem appropriate...
    Send a PM (Personal Message) to one of the site moderators or editor with your request to add "Worldwide - CDMA" in the forum section "Service Providers". Even if the CDMA carriers Telus and Bell in Canada don't offer their customers a CDMA Treo 700 you could still add it to their network if the device is unlocked. This includes your current Treo 650 (CDMA) if unlocked. Though just as with any carrier if it's not a device sold through them or one of their authorized dealers then troubleshooting may be an issue.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Telus currently offers the Treo 650, Bell only seems to offer the 600, both are National carriers up here that use CDMA. www.telusmobility.com and www.bell.ca should help you out.
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    Send a PM (Personal Message) to one of the site moderators or editor with your request to add "Worldwide - CDMA" in the forum section "Service Providers".
    Thanks for the suggestions - I've done so.
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    Just a note - Bell Mobility Canada carries the 650 - I have had mine from them for 6months +/-

Mark
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Turning money into noise and the occasional gadget
    Being an ex-pat American living in Canada, and as much as I like Canada, there are 2 things that SUCK about life in Canada: Very little basketball coverage, and NO COMPETITION IN THE TELCO INDUSTRY!!!! Which makes for unhappy BBall fans, AND Treo-lovers who have to wait for unlocked GSM Treos to become available in the States, so they can be purchased and brought back to Canada...LOOOONG before the dinosaur oligopolistic b@stards get around to releasing the new version (700P). ...Good thing I'm not bitter ;-)
    Good news for all you Canadians on here. I was talking with a bell rep today he was saying we should be getting the 700 in 3 to 4 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by GCOAP
    Good news for all you Canadians on here. I was talking with a bell rep today he was saying we should be getting the 700 in 3 to 4 weeks.

Did he say if it was a GSM version?

http://www.icehl.us/
    I just talked to my brother who saw a new treo in Canada. He didn't get to touch it but it appeared to be POS. He thought it looked a little thinner than the current 650/700 and it didn;t have the anetnna stub.
    Adam West
    If it was a Bell rep, it wont be GSM
  18.    #18  
    Talking to Rogers, they expect to offer a new Treo in the 4th quarter. Probably GSM, 700P and will run on HSPDA.

http://www.3gnewsroom.com/3g_news/de...ews_5314.shtml
    OK, so there has been talk here and there about the treo 700w coming to Canada but still it's not here.

Does anyone have any concrete evidense that the 700w will be available in Canada? I can't wait much longer.

What I want is to be able to use the smartphone on Wifi as well as all the rest that the treo 650 can do. Supposedly there is a card that can be installed into the 700w that will do Wifi.

Anybody know if there are other devices that can do this?

regards,

Dennis DenBesten
    http://www.niagaracomputersystems.com
    http://www.camdenenterprises.com
    http://www.kenel.net
  20.    #20  
    I'm not sure if this means anything, but 2 Rogers stores in the downtown core in Vancouver, have removed the Treo 650 signange and stickers from their window displays. I am so desperate that I am reading something into this. I am just worried that Rogers will foist the 680 on us, that is, a lower end model for us Canadians while in the US and the UK they get new and higher end models. If in fact, the 680 is what Palm releases next here in Canada, its Sayonara for me and Palm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast