1.    #1  
    Hello Everybody,

First time writer, long time reader.

I was wondering if anybody could post what the big differences will be between the treo 650 (sprint) and the 700p.

Like you all, I am anxiously awaiting the release of the 700p (though I may wait longer due to lack of funds). My sanyo is at least 3 years old and I'm sick of also carrying around both my palm tungeston E and phone and ipod everywhere. To save $ the girlfriend and I have decided to merge our cell phones, she is leaving cingular to join my sprint plan (i've had great experiences with sprint, she's had bad with cingular). Her contract with cingular is up sometime in May, and she just got her tax return, so she's anxious to get a new phone, and start saving money on a new plan. She's not as tech savy as myself, and she's really only going to use the phone for scheduling. So she's thinking she'd rather not wait and just get the 650 right away. Any thoughts?

Also if anybody knows about what sprint is charging currently for the 650 I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Dave E.
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, biggest difference:

one is available.

MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    FROM TREONAUTS SUMMARY IN FEBRUARY:

Finally, let’s see what has surfaced about the specifications of the new Treo 700p:

Reception is supposed to be ‘spectacular’
    Runnning PalmOS Garnet v5.4.9
    1.2MP Camera (1280x1024)
    Bluetooth v1.2
    pTunes, SprintTV, Documents to Go 8 all in ROM
    Blazer 4.5
    64MB Memory with 54MB User-Available
    320x320 screen
    FAT32 driver support (to use SD Cards larger than 2GB)
    EVDO Radio (High Speed Wireless Data 400–700kbps)
    Can receive call while using 1xEvDo, but cannot call and browse at the same time (limitation of 1xEvDo)
    New web like picture album interface, new facelift for album and picture application
    Menu button moved to bottom left shift spot
    SharkMsg-like “SMS after call” functionality
    Flashing ‘Alerts’ asterix replaced by little golden bell icon
    Green button is Call Answer button, Phone button for Contacts
    New "fast mode" in Blazer
    No WiFi drivers installed and no ability to test a WiFi SD card
    Very large new DbCache of over 10MB for a _much_ speedier user experience

So, is the 700p a worthy upgrade and something for Treonauts to get excited about? Well, I certainly think so! For starters, a faster UI and now enough memory to store _all_ of my applications is fantastic. Then there’s the _much_ faster wireless data connectivity provided by EV-DO and the improved 1.3MP camera. Finally, I really like the casing which I’ve had the opportunity to play around with on my own Treo 700w. On the minus front, of course I would like to experience the next generation PalmOS instead of a Garnet revision but this is likely going to have to wait until 2007 and the lack of WiFi drivers (at least in this pre-production model) is also disappointing.

The above pretty much still summarizes what we are expecting. . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    If she really only needs to use the treo for her schedule, then the 650 should be fine. If she wants to be able to surf the web, then she should wait for the 700 to come out. However, if her tax return is burning a hole in her pocket, the 650 is her only real choice at the moment. For as Insertion has so eloquantly stated, the big difference right now is, "One is available".

As for pricing, go to www.sprintpcs.com. you'll find all their pricing there. If she doesn't need to buy it right now, she might be able to save some cash by waiting until the 700 is released. I would expect a price cut on the remaining 650s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion

one is available.

What he said.....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    anyone know the difference between my **** and a hole in the ground?
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet

One moves around?
    lmfaop
    The later is the blackhole that Palm is sinking into?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    FROM TREONAUTS SUMMARY IN FEBRUARY:

Finally, let’s see what has surfaced about the specifications of the new Treo 700p:

Reception is supposed to be ‘spectacular’
    Runnning PalmOS Garnet v5.4.9
    1.2MP Camera (1280x1024)
    Bluetooth v1.2
    pTunes, SprintTV, Documents to Go 8 all in ROM
    Blazer 4.5
    64MB Memory with 54MB User-Available
    320x320 screen
    FAT32 driver support (to use SD Cards larger than 2GB)
    EVDO Radio (High Speed Wireless Data 400–700kbps)
    Can receive call while using 1xEvDo, but cannot call and browse at the same time (limitation of 1xEvDo)
    New web like picture album interface, new facelift for album and picture application
    Menu button moved to bottom left shift spot
    SharkMsg-like “SMS after call” functionality
    Flashing ‘Alerts’ asterix replaced by little golden bell icon
    Green button is Call Answer button, Phone button for Contacts
    New "fast mode" in Blazer
    No WiFi drivers installed and no ability to test a WiFi SD card
    Very large new DbCache of over 10MB for a _much_ speedier user experience
    A few corrections. The Palm Treo 700P has been reported to have a 1.3 MP camera, not 1.2 MP. Bluetooth should be v2.0, not v1.2. WIFI driver support should be offered in the 700P though rumors Palm will also release another update for the Treo 650 to support WIFI cards. SprintTV is only offered for Sprint USA subscribers though all carriers should offer MobiTV support by the time the Treo 700P is released.

As for EVDO that is CDMA carriers competitive offer to GSM carriers who already support EDGE and soon to offer 3G globally. Anyway, I was under the impression that the Treo 700P would provide 3G support for GSM carriers as they are planning to provide this capability soon. It's understandable since carriers such as Rogers not only has the network to support 3G but also has leaked they are testing several 3G phones. Hopefully one is the Treo 700P.
    dark...I don't know of any gsm 700p rumors.

BT version 2.0 is the sw version (palm app) same as on the 650
    dark...I don't know of any gsm 700p rumors.
    If there isn't then that means major GSM carriers such as Rogers are waiting for the Acess Linux Platform (ALP) version which could also mean an early release date of ALP for GSM carriers before CDMA. As already stated in another thread I have no problem waiting for ALP in the Treo as long as Palm releases it no later than Q1 2007. Though I admit I would prefer a release date for November 2006. After all I'm very happy with my Treo 650 and have no intentions of switching to a Treo running Windows Mobile.

BT version 2.0 is the sw version (palm app) same as on the 650
    This was a correction to Perry's post where he commented that the Treo 700P would offer Bluetooth v1.2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    This was a correction to Perry's post where he commented that the Treo 700P would offer Bluetooth v1.2.
    I think that Dutch's point was to gently point out that your "correction" is itself wrong. Having the 2.0 version of the BT software app is not the same as saying supporting version 2.0 of the Bluetooth protocol. All previous indications have been that the hardware will use BT 1.2, not BT 2.0.
    correct
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwavedave
    I was wondering if anybody could post what the big differences will be between the treo 650 (sprint) and the 700p.
    One of it's legs are both the same and it bangs it's head together when it walks.

Welcome!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwavedave
    Hello Everybody,

First time writer, long time reader.

One exists......
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion

one is available.

or

Quote Originally Posted by KAOSWLF
    One exists......
    this is why I read all the posts first.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.