1.    #1  
    actually im gonna keep my nextel just for the chirp, but...

I want to get a Treo. I see that Verizon has the latest model 700w but I also hear that the 650 is the best out right now. My question is should I wait for the newest Treo? and which company offers the best service, minutes, unlimited data access, etc...
    There's no real answer to that as service and coverage varies by area as well as by time.

When I had to make my choice the only 650's wer Cingular and Sprint. Sprint's data plan @ $14.95 for unlimited was $5 cheaper than Cingular's. However, Congul;ar's voice plan was $10 cheaper with 50 more minutes, so $5 and 50 minutes advanatge to Cingular...then. Last I looked, Sprint matched Cingular's voice plan price but that was month's ago. EVDO service available on the 700 when it comes out is $5 more from Sprint. Verizon's is $45 a month. No word on what CNG's HSDPA proces will eb as yet.

As for data performance "tested speeds" which you can find in PC Mag's Broadband w/o Borders Article, shows Cingular's Edge outperforming Sprint's CDMA service. However, "in real life" with latency factored in, the user experience is just about the same. CNG does have an edge on large downloads however because latency becomes less of a factor.

As for GSM (Cingular) vs CDMA (Verizon / Sprint) service there are some Technical differences:

-With CDMA you can use the audio output jack and a BT headset at the same time say to listen to music while talking on phone or using a speakerphone while talking on headset.
    -With GSM you have 50% more battery life.
    -With GSM, you can swap SIM cards to have say a "junk phone" whiel doing things (bike riding, boating, etc) that you don't wanna risk your $600 Treo.
    -With GSM you can travel internationally
    -With GSM you can get "new customer rebates" by getting a new number with ya Treo and then swapping SIMS with wifie or kid to keep ya old number.
    -With GSM you can interupt data stream to take call without losing data connection.

Now many of those things might not be important to you so they wouldn't factor into your decision. But the most important thing is reception in your area. This should be your primary decision making factor. Another factolr which surprised me is about 2/3 of my calls are to other Cingular customers which are free so I use far less "paid minutes" on CNG than I would on another carrier. If I moved out by Perry or Insertion, I moght be calling Sprint peeps 2/3 of the time.
  3.    #3  
    I live in NYC. Is there a website where I can see which carrier works the best in any given location?
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by Manolo
    I live in NYC. Is there a website where I can see which carrier works the best in any given location?
    Well you can look on websites and see what carrier' s claim as coverage ..... but there's probably hundreds of brick and mortar stores in NYC where you can walk in and hold each alternative in your jand, look at the signal level, make calls etc.

As you are probably aware, Cingular's been blasting it all over print and airwaves, two independent studies show CNG as having the best coverage in NYC - tristate area. But all that aside, I'd still wanna test on my own....and talk to store owners whose life is cell phones and who don't have any ax to grind as they are willing to sell you a Treo on any carrier.

Call these guys and see if they have a store near you .... last time I asked, they had Treo 650's for new customers @ $150

(631) 874-0303
    Another factolr which surprised me is about 2/3 of my calls are to other Cingular customers which are free so I use far less "paid minutes" on CNG than I would on another carrier.
    This was a major factor in me decididng who to go with. Plus find out if you get any discounts from your employer. Mine gets 20% off with Sprint.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I have also found that if a carrier has an employer discount, most competitiors will match the discount. Sprint told me that they would give me the same discount cingular does for the organiztion I work for (23% on monthly bill and 15% on phone and accesories).
    You can always sign up for a carrier and then use the 14-30 day trial to check coverage in your area.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"