Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So i know there are a lot of threads on this topic but just bare with me. I have been waiting and waiting for a new phone (i use a nokia 6682 now, to boring). I was going to go buy the 8125 that cingular offers, but the lack of UMTS/HSDPA prevents me from doing that

Now that i have seen rumored pics of the treo 700p for verizon and sprint, i am even more excited. THe fact of having evdo is amazing. I just can not decide on what service i want to go to. CIngular is light years away from getting the treo 700/hollywood (which i love the look of, attenna less).

My main question is, who here is happy with verizon and sprint? I burned throuhg 3500 minutes last month with combined night and weekend and anytime. I used 1000 anytime alone last month. If i didnt have rollover i would have had overages out the ****!

Pricing something similar to what cingular has (text messaging and minute wise) is way more expensive with vzw and sprint. so i guess i am asking this

What do you guys/gals do when your are being somewhat conservative on money ( i am in college), but still need the features? Would you stay with the cheaper carrier and wait it out, or go to the different carrier with the better device/features you want because they have it now?

Thanks for your time for reading.

Cliffs: Cant decide what i want and which carrier i want to go to.
    What you're asking for is basically an all around great carrier that doesn't exist. Either you have the features and higher price, or you have the lower price and less features. Also you talk on the phone quite a bit. For as many minutes as you use, and the features you want, you're probably gonna spend close to $200 a month, or at the very least $150. Now you say that you need the features. Do you really need them, or do you just want them? These are things you should consider if money is an issue. If you want one of these phones with these extra features, you should expect to pay more.

That being said, I would wait for the 700p to come out before deciding what service it would be better on. However, if you want the closest option to the cingular model that has surfaced, then you should consider the 700w on Verizon. Again, though, it's going to be more expensive on these services. You sound like you're undecided on whether to switch or not. I think you need to decide first whether or not you should. All that we're gonna be able to do here is offer our own opinions based on our own circumstances, but they won't have an significance to your own situations. I say, look at your own cirumstances, and if you actually need these features for some reason or another, then you have to ask yourself whether or not you can wait for 6-12+ months from now for it to come to cingular.

Hope that helps.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Well you asked.

Lets see, if I were still in college still...... I wouldn't talk for 3500 minutes a month (2.5 days/mo on the phone) I don't think my attorney does that many. Does that include text messaging?

Lets see, if I were still in college still...... and money was tight, I don't think I'd buy a phone that's going to be at least $400.00. I think that's a low-ball number too. Try E-bay and get a used 600 or 650.

I have a 650 with Sprint (started with a 300), my wife has a 600, and my sister and her husband both have Samsung i500. We SHARE a plan, 2500 anytime, free nights/weekends (nights start at 7pm ) unlimited data on Treo's, unlimited text on all, plus free PCS to PCS. It cost us less then 150.00 (plus tax and fees <200.00/mo). SOOO that's $50.00/mo for unlimited data, text, and free calls to the people that matter.

Maybe you’re a player, I don't know. Maybe you’re still getting straight A's (I didn't). Maybe you’re a communications major. Maybe you’re the "can you hear me now guy." All good reasons to be on the phone that much.

Good luck, I'm not sure what your looking for is out there.
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    Quote Originally Posted by leardvr
    Well you asked.

Lets see, if I were still in college still...... I wouldn't talk for 3500 minutes a month (2.5 days/mo on the phone) I don't think my attorney does that many. Does that include text messaging?

Lets see, if I were still in college still...... and money was tight, I don't think I'd buy a phone that's going to be at least $400.00. I think that's a low-ball number too. Try E-bay and get a used 600 or 650.

I have a 650 with Sprint (started with a 300), my wife has a 600, and my sister and her husband both have Samsung i500. We SHARE a plan, 2500 anytime, free nights/weekends (nights start at 7pm ) unlimited data on Treo's, unlimited text on all, plus free PCS to PCS. It cost us less then 150.00 (plus tax and fees <200.00/mo). SOOO that's $50.00/mo for unlimited data, text, and free calls to the people that matter.

Maybe you’re a player, I don't know. Maybe you’re still getting straight A's (I didn't). Maybe you’re a communications major. Maybe you’re the "can you hear me now guy." All good reasons to be on the phone that much.

Good luck, I'm not sure what your looking for is out there.
    Haha.

I know some very high-end executives and business people that talk less than that. With all that talking, I'm not sure how the roll-over works.

And now:

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

I think Sprint may be the best option for you.
    If you sign a new contract you can get unlimited text message free for 2yrs. . Combined with the fair and flexible plan i have highlighted below and the $15 SprintPCS Vision Ultimate Pack You should be good to go

From Sprints website
    Adjustable anytime minutes with no huge overages. In select areas, roaming charges are also included. Learn More

$29.99 0 - 200 201-700, $5 for every 50 minutes
    Above 700, additional Anytime Minutes are only $.10 each Unlimited
    New - Now starting at 7 p.m.

$39.99 0 - 400 401-900, $5 for every 50 minutes
    Above 900, additional Anytime Minutes are only $.10 each Unlimited

$59.99 0 - 1000 1001-1500, $5 for every 50 minutes
    Above 1500, additional Anytime Minutes are only $.10 each Unlimited N&W

$79.99 0 -1400 1401-1900, $5 for every 50 minutes
    Above 1900, additional Anytime Minutes are only $.10 each Unlimited N&W

$99.99 0 - 2000 2001-2500, $5 for every 50 minutes
    Above 2500, additional Anytime Minutes are only $.10 each Unlimited N&W

$149.99 0 - 4000 4001-4500, $5 for every 50 minutes
    Above 4500, additional Anytime Minutes are only $.10 each Unlimited N&W

$199.99 Unlimited "All calls at all times are unlimited."
    $15 Vision Pack
    Sprint PCS Vision Ultimate Pack

Unlimited Sprint TV
    Watch unlimited Sprint TV with high-quality video and audio clips from names like NBC®, The Discovery Channel®, The Weather Channel®, FOX Sports® and more.

Unlimited Sprint PCS Picture Mail
    Take, upload and send an unlimited number of pictures.

Unlimited Sprint PCS Video Mail
    Shoot and send an unlimited number of video clips with sound.

Unlimited Sprint PCS Vision access includes:
    Unlimited email and instant messaging from America Online®, MSN®, and Yahoo!®
    Unlimited Web access to popular Web sites such as: CNN®, ESPN®, USA Today®, The Weather Channel® and more.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Just need to throw this into the mix:

Minutes, deals and data plans are all great, but they are all secondary -- if your cell coverage sucks.

I like Sprint for the phone and data plan that I have, as well, it provides me with the best coverage in where I frequent (except Betline Bar Mexican Cafe, always roaming there. . . .). Anyway, I would research coverage first and then add the pricing into the decision matrix.

Cheers, Perry
    You can save a lot by getting in with the same service as most of the people you talk with. If a lot of your calls go to people with Verizon, then go with Verizon. Most of the carriers have incentives like free vzw to vzw calls and even good packages with free text and pics messaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by mademan118
    So i know there are a lot of threads on this topic but just bare with me. I have been waiting and waiting for a new phone (i use a nokia 6682 now, to boring). I was going to go buy the 8125 that cingular offers, but the lack of UMTS/HSDPA prevents me from doing that

Now that i have seen rumored pics of the treo 700p for verizon and sprint, i am even more excited. THe fact of having evdo is amazing. I just can not decide on what service i want to go to. CIngular is light years away from getting the treo 700/hollywood (which i love the look of, attenna less).

My main question is, who here is happy with verizon and sprint? I burned throuhg 3500 minutes last month with combined night and weekend and anytime. I used 1000 anytime alone last month. If i didnt have rollover i would have had overages out the ****!

Pricing something similar to what cingular has (text messaging and minute wise) is way more expensive with vzw and sprint. so i guess i am asking this

What do you guys/gals do when your are being somewhat conservative on money ( i am in college), but still need the features? Would you stay with the cheaper carrier and wait it out, or go to the different carrier with the better device/features you want because they have it now?

Thanks for your time for reading.

Cliffs: Cant decide what i want and which carrier i want to go to.
    It's like asking "what's the best car to buy?"
    What's the cell tower coverage like in your area for each carrier? Where are you located? Start by asking your fellow students what is their experience with those various carriers.

All cell companies suck in their own way.
    I'm a big fan of Sprint, but they have their problems. I was with them about 10 years ago, but left after less than 6 months because customer service, and service issues were horrible. They improved their equipment, and opened new call centers, then things improved. I was coerced into coming back 3 years ago by my new significant other, because she had Sprint.
    Things were much better. But then they started closing their US call centers (including a big one here in the Chicago area), and outsourcing them overseas. Things are dipping dangerously close to unacceptable for customer service again. But as far as call quality, lack of dropped calls, handsets available, reasonable packages for calls & data, they win hands down.
    Consider going with a SERO plan.

Read this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=106778

$30 for 500 minutes, free nights & weekends, free Sprint to Sprint calls, free roaming, free data...
    There's more. Read the thread. I have it and give it a big thumbs up.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

9.    #9  
    the reason that i talk so much on my phone is that i dont have a home phone here. We all (my roomates) have our cell phones. I do a lot of the free-lance computer work and take a lot of calls/walk customers through problems. I also live awaay from family (they are in WA, im in WI) and we talk alot. One of the main reasons i want a pda phone like a treo is the ability to sync with outlook, have my tasks/activities for that day, the keyboard, and the data. I have been in a situation way to many times where having the net would have been extremely helpful.

And no the 3500 minutes a month did not include text messaging. That month is by far my highest. I usually never use any of my 450 anytime minutes. I do text ALOT though (i have the 2000 message plan).

I just dont want to have to spend more then i need to per month i guess. I will look into sprint though...
    the reason that i talk so much on my phone is that i dont have a home phone here. We all (my roomates) have our cell phones. I do a lot of the free-lance computer work and take a lot of calls/walk customers through problems. I also live awaay from family (they are in WA, im in WI) and we talk alot. One of the main reasons i want a pda phone like a treo is the ability to sync with outlook, have my tasks/activities for that day, the keyboard, and the data. I have been in a situation way to many times where having the net would have been extremely helpful.

And no the 3500 minutes a month did not include text messaging. That month is by far my highest. I usually never use any of my 450 anytime minutes. I do text ALOT though (i have the 2000 message plan).

I just dont want to have to spend more then i need to per month i guess. I will look into sprint though...
    I'm still in college too (CS major) and do a lot of work at a computer consulting firm; computer maintenance, walking clients through fixing things, etc. I'm getting a treo for the data connection and internet too. My cell phone is my only phone. My folks live in Chicago and I'm here in Utah, so I can relate to your situation.

I've got the old sprint unlimited messaging for only $5 bucks a month (do a lot of texting too) Sprint has the lowest data prices (only $15 for unlimited Vision) The phone plans are competatively priced when compared to Cingular/Verizon.

I've been very happy with Sprint and get great coverage. I agree with the posters above; check coverage in your area, see if you call a lot of people on the same network (1/2 my calls are Sprint to Sprint and free with my plan ) Another suggestion: try calling your family on the weekends, all sprint plans have free night and weekends so you can talk as much as you want. Depending on what time of day you talk, you might want to look into the 7pm nights & weekends if you talk a lot more after 7 or so, it could save you lots of minutes.
    HP95LX--->Palm m130--->Palm Zire71--->Treo 700P --->Palm Pré
    Ah... college days....reminds me of the dark ages, BC (Before Cellphones), when our dorm had a dial-up non-payphone in the hall across from my room.... heard people on it all night right outside our door. Didn't they realize we could hear them? It was only for internal calls, but someone moved into a dormroom that was converted from an office and still had a live phone line in it! Connection with the outside world! You young whippersnappers are spoiled by all the tech available to you (remember sliderules?).

Our tech highlight was tapping into the college PA system to better hear their announcements (and make a few of our own). Oh, for a treo back then!

Does your college have good wi-fi coverage? That might be a factor in getting a wi-fi capable phone, the Seido sled, or Skype to keep your costs down.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Be warned, I just got a $3,500 monthly bill from Cingular. This the 4th time they have overcharged me, and I'm getting sick of it.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Be warned, I just got a $3,500 monthly bill from Cingular. This the 4th time they have overcharged me, and I'm getting sick of it.

And now:

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

14.    #14  
    yea i was overcharged 487 dollars last month. Had to call and get it credited back.

I am going ot look at the coverage for sprint in the milwaukee area. Maybe ill switch to them.

Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    I like Sprint, personally. I have one of their Fair and Flexible plans so I don't have to worry about overages. I also have unlimited texts(paid 5 bucks for that). You might want to consider wi-fi + Skype(or Yahoo! or others) to stay connected and cut down on costs.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    CIngular is light years away from getting the treo 700/hollywood (which i love the look of, attenna less).
    I am assuming that your major is not in the astronomical sciences .....light years is a very long time....4-6 months is more like it. If the pundits continue to hit their marks, Cingular will have their next Treo in September - November of this year. Verizon was predicted in early 2006, Sprint in mid 2006 and the pundits seem to have hit those pretty much on the money. My bet is that they go 3 for 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I am assuming that your major is not in the astronomical sciences .....light years is a very long time....4-6 months is more like it. If the pundits continue to hit their marks, Cingular will have their next Treo in September - November of this year. Verizon was predicted in early 2006, Sprint in mid 2006 and the pundits seem to have hit those pretty much on the money. My bet is that they go 3 for 3.
    Actually 'light years' is not a long time; it's a long DISTANCE. A light year is the distance that light travels in a year.
    WTF
    at&t iPhone3G
    Look at coverage...IMHO, then go with Sprint if coverage is good.
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast