Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I previously posted this on the Bluetooth board, but realized it was probably on the wrong board.

Has anyone used this app by National Geographic on their 650? All the old threads on this topic (topo on 650) are outdated and/or inconclusive.

According to National Geographic, it's now Palm and Bluetooth compatible. http://www.ngmapstore.com/shopping/...&iProductID=359

I was hoping for handheld GPS equivalent for the 650. I'd rather buy National Geographic topo maps and Pocket Topo for around $150 instead of dropping $500 on something like the Garmin 60Csx.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    site says its not available at this time
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    site says its not available at this time
    For some reason, much of the software listed on the NG site is unavailable. But almost all of it is available from other online and brick-and-mortar stores.
    "$499.00"?? I am out.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHelix
    "$499.00"?? I am out.
    What's $499? I'm confused. You can get any state's NG topo map for around $90, and then add Pocket Topo for another $20. That's only $110 for all the hiking, biking, kayaking, or whatever else you do in that particular state.
    I bought it, believing it to work with bluetooth. Once you have it, you realize it only supports hard wired GPS connections....no bluetooth. I haven't been able to get any response from them about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcuslf
    I bought it, believing it to work with bluetooth. Once you have it, you realize it only supports hard wired GPS connections....no bluetooth. I haven't been able to get any response from them about it.
    Same here.

I got the product to install and was able to view a map of an upcoming trip but I could not find anywhere in the app where it mentioned anything about bluetooth GPS.

I called their customer support number and got a call back from a lady who confirmed that it does not work with bluetooth. Asked her why it said on the package and she said it was a "mistake."

Thankfully, REI has a great return policy.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Wow, that's BS. How can they be selling the software saying it's Bluetooth compatible when it isn't. Unbelievable. Thanks for the heads-up.