Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Tell me please,
    I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY, WHEN YOU COMPARE THE FALLOWING:
    How stupid it is to offer a Smart-Device on a network where most users don't pay for that kind of access.
    Would you really pay $44.99 a month for PDA data access? $19.99 for e-mail sync? So you want to debate facts, then lets debate.
    One: Verizon Wireless is a patchwork of acquired networks. Networks bought out, merged, ect. No matter how hard you try, those network will never work together perfectly. Because they were built by vendors from all over the world.
    Sprint's network is built from the ground up by Lucent, Nortel, and Motorola. This gives Sprint the advantage of all features working the same all over their network.
    Number one complaint with Verizon, spotty service. Services work one place, but not in another.
    Sprint also has more MVNO's then any other carrier in the world. WHY? Because they offer a dependable network with excess spectrum. Big names like Disney Wireless, ESPN Wireless, Quest Wireless, Liberty Wireless, and on all use Sprint's network for their MVNO coverage.
    Does Verizon do this? Only for a few MVNO's.
    Two: Sprint has had Mobile TV and radio way before Verizon offered EV-DO. There for Sprint's EV-DO Power Visions services work all over their network. Verizon's do not.
    So is it better to have VCast in select parts of the nation but not in between? Or for the Power Visions services to work all over the network? I would rather use it all over. Sprint also has the second highest revenue per subscriber because of the Internet access, content and prices. Nextel has the first highest, but because of their Direct-connect and voice plans. What does this say about Verizon's limited web content?
    Three: Verizon uses BREW. Which Verizon customers complain about all of the time about this. Verizon forces you to buy from then, while Sprint let's you use and Java mobile applications found on the Internet? Which would you rather use? I would rather have the freedom of Java.
    Four: Sprint has three voice plans. Fair& Flex America, Free Incoming, and the Free & Clear America. Verizon has one voice plan. Sprint has more add-ons then any other carrier, and you get to keep free features like loyalty discounts on any of your plans for life. Verizon the same carrier that offers nothing in the way of earlier nights, free incoming, adjustable minute buckets, ect. Why didn't Sprint get first dips? Sprint has better plans with better prices. Sprint's own network is larger at 250 million pop, while Verizon is only 246 million. Sprint has better data prices at $10 visions and $15 EV-DO Power Visions. Sprint has a larger roaming network!
    I DON'T GET IT, and I actually don't believe it.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Actually for the most part you were correct, K. You did get one thing wrong, however. Power vision isn't all across Sprint's network yet. They are spotty with that coverage just like verizon. However, it seems to me that their EVDO works better in the areas where it is located. They are also working very quickly to expand their coverage across their network. Sprint has always made extra efforts to try and get everyone service. In upstate NY, there are many....shall we call them "treehuggers"? They refuse to have towers, but complain about cell phone coverage. Sprint found an interesting way to address this (in fact, all over the country). They dress up their towers to look like trees, right down to a fake bark with fake leaves. Sprint is then able to go into areas where other networks can't go.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    I use Cingular.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Whats your favorite color?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Hi K!

Is this about the W or the P?

If W -- maybe Verizon was willing to work with Palm moee closely on the development of the WM5 TREO.

If P -- they are not first yet and as I understand it from my sources-- Sprint wanted to test the 700 long enough to make sure they had a good out of the box experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Whats your favorite color?
    Sky blue pink with a touch of orange. You?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi K!

Is this about the W or the P?

If W -- maybe Verizon was willing to work with Palm moee closely on the development of the WM5 TREO.

If P -- they are not first yet and as I understand it from my sources-- Sprint wanted to test the 700 long enough to make sure they had a good out of the box experience.
    The possiblility of the big P comming to Verizon with these so called pics Perry. I just am a Sprint loyalist and was with Verizon and don't like them and don't understand why they could posibly get first dibs again. Sprint was the first with the treo. This is just in speculation with Sprints wierd tactics lately. I don't believe it, but then again with Sprint...I am prepared for the worst.
    at&t iPhone3G
    From my experiance in Michigan, Verizon has better coverage in the state. At my old company we had a plant in Bronson Michigan that Verizon was the only carrier that would reach that area. We offered to pay for the tower and anything else that any carrier wanted to get coverage and nobody would step up. The only problem that I've had with Verizon is billing issues and then some area's where I was dropping calls but I couldn't expect full coverage 3 miles into deep woods.

I pay the full unlimited data charge and live with it right now. I tried other carriers and just wasn't happy.

JMHO.
    Sources say Palm will announce thw week of May 15 and carrier availability will follow. For Sprint, my sources say the week of June 5. I have no Verizon sources. If they beat Sprint to market -- a few days, it won't kill me. I know the Sprint release was delayed due to extra testing.

Cheers, Perry
    Sources say Palm will announce thw week of May 15 and carrier availability will follow. For Sprint, my sources say the week of June 5. I have no Verizon sources. If they beat Sprint to market -- a few days, it won't kill me. I know the Sprint release was delayed due to extra testing.

Cheers, Perry
    Thanks Perry, that was concise and to the point - now we wait to see how good your sources are.

Cheers, Perry
    Hey Perry,

Have your sources mentioned anything about the 700w yet? I know you have mentioned the possibility, but I don't think you have mentioned whether or not you had talked to your sources about this.

I agree with you about the delay. While I would like to have it sooner, I feel better that Sprint is taking the extra time to make sure it works well.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Interesting points about Sprint vs Vz. There is no doubt that sprint has a better pricing plan, especially with data. I would switch to them in a heartbeat except for one small problem: their coverage were I live and work is aweful! There are several people in my office with Sprint. None of them get a signal.

So, this is kinda like a color choice, but more like fruit. If you live in Florida, you may want oranges. If you live in Washington, you may choose apples. It's whichever is freshest.

Oh, and Sprint will be releasing the 700p. They have no plans for the w (at least not yet). As far as to why Vz gets the 700p (first or sooner than expected), from what I hear, Sprint wants to focus on service and options from now on, but not exclusivity anymore. This does make sense. By Sprint having the 650 first, they had to act like the guinea pigs and work out all the bugs before vz finally released it. Vz probably didn't have to fork-up much to get the device optimized for their network.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Actually for the most part you were correct, K. You did get one thing wrong, however. Power vision isn't all across Sprint's network yet. They are spotty with that coverage just like verizon. However, it seems to me that their EVDO works better in the areas where it is located. They are also working very quickly to expand their coverage across their network. Sprint has always made extra efforts to try and get everyone service. In upstate NY, there are many....shall we call them "treehuggers"? They refuse to have towers, but complain about cell phone coverage. Sprint found an interesting way to address this (in fact, all over the country). They dress up their towers to look like trees, right down to a fake bark with fake leaves. Sprint is then able to go into areas where other networks can't go.
    I think what he means is that Vcast doesn't work on 1XRTT like all Sprint Power Vision services such as streaming radio, TV, etc.. can work when you are out of Power Vision areas. Every carrier has their spotty parts and correct, since Sprint's network is not patched up, Sprint business maps show future EVDO coverage on the entire native network. I'll let Verizon surprise me on EVDO across the entire network since I love surprises.
    I have heard (mostly thru ads) that verizon has better coverage across their network. Is that not generally true?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Hey Perry,

Have your sources mentioned anything about the 700w yet? I know you have mentioned the possibility, but I don't think you have mentioned whether or not you had talked to your sources about this.

I agree with you about the delay. While I would like to have it sooner, I feel better that Sprint is taking the extra time to make sure it works well.
    My sources have only mentioned that it will be the 700P coming out on Sprint, not the 700W. And Shadomite said 2 months ago(during Merlyn's beta) that no 700W was in testing on Sprint.

The 700P on Verizon is obvious and would make you suspect a 700W on Sprint, but I'm confused on this one.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm currently with Verizon (live in Cleveland, but do travel in US some). To me, the only "sure" fact is that Sprint's data plans are a *lot* less than Verizon. I tried Sprint 2-3 years ago, and found that at least in this area, it was definitely worse than Verizon for coverage. But that was then, and I know they've done a lot of work since then.

The problem is getting accurate data on coverage, and being reasonably confident that a) one will get excellent coverage in their home area and b) will have decent coverage when traveling. I still keep hearing that Verizon has overall better coverage nationally, and that Sprint may have problems with coverage once off main roads.

If the 700p comes out on both, I'll probably stick with Verizon, but am watching the coverage issues closely, and may well switch if it looks like Sprint has comparable coverage. $45/ month for data is just too much, and I suppose that may go up further to get EVDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    $45/ month for data is just too much, and I suppose that may go up further to get EVDO.
    I think that price covers EVDO.

Vz better start re-thinking their price structure if they are to remain competitive. They have earned an excellent reputation for customer service and coverage. But Sprint is really trying to catch up. It seems that their CS has improved and their coverage is definitely better (but still not good enough for me). If they continue this pace, there would be no reason to stick with vz. Vz's nights start 2 hours later and end earlier, their voice plans are higher (but not by much) and their data is 300% more than sprint.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Kstewart
    Just curious..do you work for sprint?
    I have had no issues with VZW anyplace I have gone in the USA. ALWAYS good coverage.
    In fact where I live (major southwest city) Sprint actually sucks bad. What good is cheap data access if you dont get reception.
    Next, what do you care what I pay for my service? You seem upset about the pricing models. Pay what you want for yours Ill pay what I want for mine.

to each their own. no biggie.

As far as who releases it first, does it really matter? Im sure sprint vzw and gsm users all want it. I dont think anyone is owed any first dibs right.
    Like I have said before. Just release the thing when its ready.

PS: is that avatar really your chick?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    Kstewart
    Just curious..do you work for sprint?
    I have had no issues with VZW anyplace I have gone in the USA. ALWAYS good coverage.
    In fact where I live (major southwest city) Sprint actually sucks bad. What good is cheap data access if you dont get reception.
    Next, what do you care what I pay for my service? You seem upset about the pricing models. Pay what you want for yours Ill pay what I want for mine.

to each their own. no biggie.

As far as who releases it first, does it really matter? Im sure sprint vzw and gsm users all want it. I dont think anyone is owed any first dibs right.
    Like I have said before. Just release the thing when its ready.

PS: is that avatar really your chick?
    No I don't work for Sprint...I work in the auto industry dealing in robotics for programming and managing of assembly line. The numbers just don't add up when it comes to what you get for the buck with Verizon, and your dollar goes further with Sprint, and Verizon is getting the lead on devices Sprint should be on top of with testing and launching...and where I am at Verizon has bad coverage and Sprint rocks, so yes to each is own, but I am talking figures...Verizon just gouges. Most of all, it is the anticipation for the 700p, and seeing the Verizon logo on a questionable 700p after having an exclusive on the 700w just makes me want to know why Sprint is letting Verizon possibly get it first. I do believe the 700p is coming to Sprint, but when?

PS: I do have a pretty hot wife, but I wouldn't post her unless I could get paid for it....JOKE.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Well we have seen proof of vzw (pics for the believers) and sprint (merlyns unit).

only a question of when.
    I'm thinking palm may have restructured its allainces with carriers / other companies (opinion).
    I say that based on the fact that we now have a WM5 treo in existence.
    Perhaps they will favor no one now.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast