Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi Jerry G.

I assume that ANY product bought first day of release will have it's issues. Remember the old adage about automobiles? (Never buy the first year of a new model. . . .)

With that said -- from what I have heard from my sources -- Sprint is switching notes on their first to market tune -- they want a great out of box experience. Whether they accomplich that this time around -- we will see -- but they are heading down that path with the Treo. I think the 650 go arounds, may have been a lesson learned.

Cheers, Perry.
    I just hope this will be an out of the box experience, since I am so tired of waiting...it might as well be worth the wait.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I think the out of the box functionality of the 700 will be better than previous releases:

The 650 was a major upgrade to the 600, mostly because of the NVFS memory and bluetooth addtion. Forget the screen update. That's no big deal. All the major problems with releasing the 650 were really related to memory issues.

The 700w is a whole new animal. Definitely first release issues would be expected.

The 700p, OTOH, is not all dissimilar to the 650. More memory (big deal), better bluetooth (again, just a simple hardware upgrade), EVDO (probably was a big deal to configure for the Palm OS) and minor changes in included 3rd party apps. Am I missing something? Seems to me that this should have been released 6 months after the 650, not 18 months +. What was the holdup? Where they just satisfied with sales of the 650 and in no hurry? That's a pretty stupid business plan with so many WM devices coming out with exceptional features (Wifi). Perhaps it was all related to EVDO? I think the plan is for these companies to only release new devices that are compliant with EVDO.

In any case, the point is that testing for the 700p should be alot smoother.
    Just talked with Sprint Rep again in sales and this Rep told me the same thing that the Rep the other day told me, if it means anything you all know how Sprint Reps are, anyway he said Sprint will be releaseing the 700P and W at the same time and he said we'll see the info on Sprint site middle of May. Well if this is true Cheers to you Perry!!
    LOL

I'm just the middle man.

Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Is it because they don't want to be first, but be the best Perry as far as marketing tune? I mean look at the problems with the 700W that Verizon launched so quickly.

We had our share of problems with the Treo 650 when it was released in Nov of 04!! It took Palm several months to correct the memory issue (say, wasn't it 6-7 months? As I remember)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    No, Cingular plans are no where near as horribly overpriced as Verizon's plans. I pay $20 a month for unlimited data and Verizon is $45. Ugh.

I can only hope a GSM Treo 700P is available. If not, that would royally suck.

I thought that on the Treo 650 on Cingular the data was 39.95 and it doesn't share on the other plans.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    LOL

I'm just the middle man.

A middle man that has some good source information to keep us hanging on.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I never get why the pricing argue comes up? For all these people that are "power users" you would think $20-$45 is a pretty small number to swallow. I have VZW and i pay for the unlimited data. Its not keeping me from affording my morgage. As far as the opening statement goes about vzw being "peiced together" sprint and nextel are buying up all these little chunks of network as fast as they can from small comapnies. But that is how all the BIG companies in the US do it. They bid on spectrum and pieces of network that the goverment requires carriers release to approve a merger. Dont get me wrong Sprint does have a good network, but its not like they bought this shiny new network while everyone else was stuck with scrap metal and a tig welder run by an old guy who's "done this before". Dont you think the 4+ BILLION dollars VZW invested last year and the year before on network was buying the newest and best technology available? Or Maybe the 6 BILLION Cingular invested last year was on dry cleaning to get the wire coat hangers. I suppose if you twist enough together they'll work good.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    A middle man that has some good source information to keep us hanging on.
    I can't even take credit for finding my sources! They found me. But it has been an adventure keeping TC updated. I hope something comes out soon for the GSM folks . . . and something sooner than a year from now for our Canadian friends.

Cheers, Perry.
  10.    #50  
    As soon as the CDMA world is full circle with the W and P on both cariers, I am sure GSM will be the next launch.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by td67mustang
    I never get why the pricing argue comes up? For all these people that are "power users" you would think $20-$45 is a pretty small number to swallow. I have VZW and i pay for the unlimited data. Its not keeping me from affording my morgage. As far as the opening statement goes about vzw being "peiced together" sprint and nextel are buying up all these little chunks of network as fast as they can from small comapnies. But that is how all the BIG companies in the US do it. They bid on spectrum and pieces of network that the goverment requires carriers release to approve a merger. Dont get me wrong Sprint does have a good network, but its not like they bought this shiny new network while everyone else was stuck with scrap metal and a tig welder run by an old guy who's "done this before". Dont you think the 4+ BILLION dollars VZW invested last year and the year before on network was buying the newest and best technology available? Or Maybe the 6 BILLION Cingular invested last year was on dry cleaning to get the wire coat hangers. I suppose if you twist enough together they'll work good.
    sure, if i had $45 data, my mortage(s) would still get paid. but if every bill i had was 20-25 dollars more than it had to be i probably would not.

as far a the networks go, go ahead and believe what ever commercial you see. those numbers can be played with, what to they consider money towards building a netowork? i would be more interested in numbers in reguards to how much equipement is in place, operational, and up to date.
    the big guys are all investing heavily in thier networks, they all have thier stong areas, they are all getting better. it is kinda like saying your chevy is better than my ford...
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    sure, if i had $45 data, my mortage(s) would still get paid. but if every bill i had was 20-25 dollars more than it had to be i probably would not.

as far a the networks go, go ahead and believe what ever commercial you see. those numbers can be played with, what to they consider money towards building a netowork? i would be more interested in numbers in reguards to how much equipement is in place, operational, and up to date.
    the big guys are all investing heavily in thier networks, they all have thier stong areas, they are all getting better. it is kinda like saying your chevy is better than my ford...
    Exactly...its not that it would hurt my morgage...its if I let everything slide like that, then it would hurt it. I try to save all the way around...thats why I don't like Verizon...the numbers don't add up for me when it comes to my big picture. This good coverage in small towns seems like it is costing Verizon, as they seem to be getting it back by gouging the customer...if not that, what other reason they don't have 7:00 p.m. starts on free time and ending earlier and shorter weekends, and more plans, and better pricing on data...what is a Verizon customer paying for...and I don't want to here coverage again, because Cingular has some pretty darn good coverage too and they have more to offer, so what are you really paying for. Are Verizon officers taking from the top and living real good or what.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    Well the opening argument was stated as if Sprint's towers were made of 14k gold while all other carriers were left with tin foil. The 4 major carriers are all VERY competitive now. For Kstewart, i am with vzw beacuse i like them. I like there sustomer service, I do have good coverage and i have not had a bad experiance. It seems like your are so puzzled by the fact vzw has any customers at all! With there 50+ million subscribers and there churn being less than 1% they must be doing something very right to sign up all those customers and then keep them too. It seems most of the users on this forum are all very pro-sprint. With the exception of the large amount of recent vzw people for the 700w, prior to that the vzw people were really few and far between. interesting
    Well the opening argument was stated as if Sprint's towers were made of 14k gold while all other carriers were left with tin foil. The 4 major carriers are all VERY competitive now. For Kstewart, i am with vzw beacuse i like them. I like there sustomer service, I do have good coverage and i have not had a bad experiance. It seems like your are so puzzled by the fact vzw has any customers at all! With there 50+ million subscribers and there churn being less than 1% they must be doing something very right to sign up all those customers and then keep them too. It seems most of the users on this forum are all very pro-sprint. With the exception of the large amount of recent vzw people for the 700w, prior to that the vzw people were really few and far between. interesting
    you obviously missed the point that verizon is pieced together as a patchwork of towers operating on the 800mhz and 1900mhz bands while sprint is ONLY on 1900mhz. This is important as 1900 has (arguably) better range, clarity and most importantly, supports EVDO. For this reason sprint could roll out evdo nationwide with very little effort while verizon will have a MUCH more difficult time.

edit: sprint on 1900 not 1800
    Last edited by lovedatreo; 04/24/2006 at 08:12 PM.
  15.    #55  
    I just think verizon charges a lot, and the dallar doesn't go far with little to offer compared to Sprint. I also think that Verizon customers are happy, but IMO, most people don't really analyze what is going on at hand with each carier, they are either sold by cool looking phones, or marketing tactics that are appetizing, or the great coverage that Verizon has, and then they are stuck in a contract and don't want to pay to get out and do nothing less than thinking their carier is good becasue they are already in contract and they settle. For goodness sake, there are people on this forum who buy these expensive phones between their credit periods like candy...do you think that person cares about their savings when they shell out money for a new PDA when the latest comes out and they have to have it even if they had just bought one 6 moths prior, no they don't and when I talk to people like this, they didn't even realize there was more to offer in savings with the different cariers. I can afford to buy a phone every six months, but I would be an *****. I couldn't settle when I was with Verizon...at the end of my contract, I left them because I did not like how the math added up. IMO, the die hard Sprint customers are that way because it feels good to see your dallar go far no matter how much money you make, your complete. Sprint customers service is the only thing that sucks about Sprint, and they are getting better, and their network isn't great in the land of deliverance, but I live in the suburbs and rarely go out that far, so I don't care, but they are expanding. Us Sprint customers will even wait out the storm for the next Treo, thats how good it is, or they will keep their 650, or just go get a 6700. Now if you don't have good coverage in your little town, and have to pay a higher dallar with Verizon, I understand. All in all, these cariers now we don't look between the lines and pay attention to detail as though were stupid.

P.S. I don't work for Sprint either. My wife and I just are stoked how much we get out of our service for such a great price.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    you obviously missed the point that verizon is pieced together as a patchwork of towers operating on the 800mhz and 1900mhz bands while sprint is ONLY on 1800mhz. This is important as 1900 has (arguably) better range, clarity and most importantly, supports EVDO. For this reason sprint could roll out evdo nationwide with very little effort while verizon will have a MUCH more difficult time.

I think you meant 1900 and even this I don't believe is correct. I thought the lower mhz spectrums had better penetration and I am SURE that Sprint also uses the 800mhz spectrum atleast my PPC-6700 does. Also some Sprint phones use 1900/800 + 800 analog.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    I think you meant 1900 and even this I don't believe is correct. I thought the lower mhz spectrums had better penetration and I am SURE that Sprint also uses the 800mhz spectrum atleast my PPC-6700 does. Also some Sprint phones use 1900/800 + 800 analog.
    correction made and NO, sprint does not operate on 1900 but their phones DO. whenever a sprint phone uses 800mhz it is roaming on verizons network as the carriers have an agreement to allow roaming in most (not all) markets. if you add roaming to your plan on sprint you can do this without extra charges (free and clear america).
    ah, it appears i was incorrect, 1900 appears to be better for holding calls, clarity, etc but it requires more towers in an area for coverage. this most likely explains why people are having coverage issues with sprint in some areas.

check this post out for more:
    http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...&postcount=125
    oh, read this too

http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/10/GSM3G.shtml

its what gsm carriers dont want you to know

edit: just finished the article, cant wait until all those gsm providers in europe have to deploy cdma instead. see, that is why good ole american competition is so much better than government regulation.
    Last edited by lovedatreo; 04/24/2006 at 08:42 PM.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    oh, read this too

http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/10/GSM3G.shtml

its what gsm carriers dont want you to know
    Dare you to start a thread with that... I love it, thats why I stick with CDMA. I pretty much new some of those facts already. Your GSM lovers won't like this one, and no matter what you tell them or show them...they won't understand...a true geek understands CDMA rules.
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast