Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Sources say Palm will announce thw week of May 15 and carrier availability will follow. For Sprint, my sources say the week of June 5. I have no Verizon sources. If they beat Sprint to market -- a few days, it won't kill me. I know the Sprint release was delayed due to extra testing.

Cheers, Perry
    I cant remember the last time Sprint delayed to do more testing. Then again I dont follow them that closely to know. I just remember beta testing the 600 then 650 for them. Perry does your source know what they are testing that delayed the launch?
    Sources say Palm will announce thw week of May 15 and carrier availability will follow. For Sprint, my sources say the week of June 5. I have no Verizon sources. If they beat Sprint to market -- a few days, it won't kill me. I know the Sprint release was delayed due to extra testing.

Cheers, Perry
    The Verizon rep I talked to told me that it would come out the 1st week of June.
    OK, I would like to mention a few things, I worked for a company in the IT/Telco division that did a lot of traveling to rural areas around the U.S. and at times we used both Verizon and Sprint as our wireless carriers.

1) Its true that Verizon has better coverage in the smaller markets in the U.S

2) Its also true that Sprints pricing and data plans are way better than Verizon

3) As for customer support and vendors that treat you good and take care of you I would have to say that Verizon is by far the worst, they never cut us any deals, they were never up front with us on any new phones coming out or services, they would rarely return phone calls and the billing was a nightmare...
    as for Sprint they would call us at least 2 to 3 times a month and let us know what was going on, they would give us phones, to try and test out on our network and at time they would even let us change some plans even though the contract stated NO..
    They went above and beyond what we needed to for support.

No I do not work for either company and I would say that we spent about the same on each carrier, but towards the end we would give all the business that we could to sprint.

I agree with K, I have no Idea why in the world anyone with a pda data phone would purchase a plan on verizons network at that cost.
    I don't know much about cingular but I think their data plans are much worse..
    Hi dtrain13 !!

QUOTE:
    I cant remember the last time Sprint delayed to do more testing. Then again I dont follow them that closely to know. I just remember beta testing the 600 then 650 for them. Perry does your source know what they are testing that delayed the launch?
    UNQUOTE.

From my conversations with my sources -- it appears Sprint is changing it's first to market tune.
    It has delayed this release to do some additional testing. Maybe the 5 months of flames on TC after release and other forums are taking root -- or maybe it's just less expensive to have less returns. I will say it is both -- they do want happy customers.

Cheers, Perry.
  5.    #25  
    Hi dtrain13 !!

QUOTE:
    UNQUOTE.

From my conversations with my sources -- it appears Sprint is changing it's first to market tune.
    It has delayed this release to do some additional testing. Maybe the 5 months of flames on TC after release and other forums are taking root -- or maybe it's just less expensive to have less returns. I will say it is both -- they do want happy customers.

Cheers, Perry.
    Is it because they don't want to be first, but be the best Perry as far as marketing tune? I mean look at the problems with the 700W that Verizon launched so quickly.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I have been to quite a few places in this country. And believe it or not, Vz is the ONLY network which will have a signal and can dial out. I am talking places in the boonies. Most military training areas that we go to - there is no sprint! Verizon always works. Last year in Osh in a storm blowing our tents away, there was no coverage with sprint, but my Vx showed us radar images... , NO, I do not work for Vz. I pay the 45$ so I can make a call when I want to where ever I am and do the data too.
    When it comes down to it, you get what you pay for. Now, I would like to have Vz drop down their prices, sure.
    All you need to do is look at an independent, unbiased coverage map of the cellular networks and one can clearly see that Verizon has way better voice coverage across the US than Sprint. This is the reason why Verizon charges more, people will pay a premium for good coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by lankox
    All you need to do is look at an independent, unbiased coverage map of the cellular networks and one can clearly see that Verizon has way better voice coverage across the US than Sprint. This is the reason why Verizon charges more, people will pay a premium for good coverage.
    Coverage? Yes. Good coverage? That's subjective.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Coverage? Yes. Good coverage? That's subjective.
    Exaaaactly...that is what I was going to say.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I have never dropped a call with VZW. This is the only carrier I can say this with.
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    I have never dropped a call with VZW. This is the only carrier I can say this with.
    I've had all three (Verizon, Sprint, Cingular) and for a balance of price, coverage and international travel, I've settled with Cingular and have been happy for nearly two years.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby
    I don't know much about cingular but I think their data plans are much worse..
    No, Cingular plans are no where near as horribly overpriced as Verizon's plans. I pay $20 a month for unlimited data and Verizon is $45. Ugh.

I can only hope a GSM Treo 700P is available. If not, that would royally suck.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    No, Cingular plans are no where near as horribly overpriced as Verizon's plans. I pay $20 a month for unlimited data and Verizon is $45. Ugh.

I agree, my dad and sister both are with cingular. If I wasn't with Sprint, I would go to singular in a heartbeat...as they are the only other carier that I like. As you, I just hope the 700p will be available. It does suck in the mist of all this bable that GSM for now seems to be left out.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser

That is not a bad plan, I can't beleave that verizon is so over priced
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby
    That is not a bad plan, I can't beleave that verizon is so over priced
    I can...I used to be with Verizon, for anybody who doesn't understand why I don't like them...the math just doesn't add up. Certain individuals have said it is worth the price for complete coverage from Verizon since they are out in the boonies. I still think it is quite a high price to pay so you can get service in the middle of **** !@$#!nowhere. I haven't been all over the states, but my Sprint line gets a good signal in the boonies, if I am out there from where I live, and its funny, because Verizon doesn't. Since early Sprint days there were some problems but their network has gotten so much better, so for now I do not need or have the interest to hang out in the land of deliverance...I enjoy my suburbian lifestyle with my accasional visit to the metropolitan area.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Well, I don't travel as often as I used to. Yet, everywhere I go in NJ and NYC, I get great Cingular reception. My wife and I both have Treos and there is no way I'm going to pay $90 for data plans. I'll take that $50 savings each month and go out to dinner and have a toast that Verizon isn't my carrier.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Sometimes people don't have a choice and Verizon is the only solution. That's the way it works for my wife and myself for right now. I'm not happy with the data fee's so I make the best of them by doing more via e-mail then I do via phone now.
    bottom line, i pay $75/month to sprint...verizon would be 150-170 for the exact same plan. i travel and have never had an issue with sprint. i just dont understand paying 45/month just for data when it is out there for 15-20? it makes me wonder if verizons network is really capable of handling all of that traffic?
    My sources have only mentioned that it will be the 700P coming out on Sprint, not the 700W. And Shadomite said 2 months ago(during Merlyn's beta) that no 700W was in testing on Sprint.

The 700P on Verizon is obvious and would make you suspect a 700W on Sprint, but I'm confused on this one.

Cheers, Perry.

Perry do you think that when Sprint releases our 700P that we will be happier with the unit than we were with the 650. It wasn't until Sprint had 2 or 3 updates that we will really happy with the Treo 650. Do you think they did more testing with the 700P than with the 650? I sure hope so. Remember those of us who get the new phones are usually their beta testers!

Let me know you thoughts!

Jerry G.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    Perry do you think that when Sprint releases our 700P that we will be happier with the unit than we were with the 650. It wasn't until Sprint had 2 or 3 updates that we will really happy with the Treo 650. Do you think they did more testing with the 700P than with the 650? I sure hope so. Remember those of us who get the new phones are usually their beta testers!

Let me know you thoughts!

Jerry G.
    Hi Jerry G.

I assume that ANY product bought first day of release will have it's issues. Remember the old adage about automobiles? (Never buy the first year of a new model. . . .)

With that said -- from what I have heard from my sources -- Sprint is switching notes on their first to market tune -- they want a great out of box experience. Whether they accomplish that this time around -- we will see -- but they are heading down that path with the Treo. I think the 650 go arounds, may have been a lesson learned.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/23/2006 at 06:15 PM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast