Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    Here in Australia, and Asia (and i think the UK and continental Europe) we use GSM ....

Palm/Handspring has released every model that they have ever made (as a gsm version) here in australia about 4 months after it's initial usa release ...

given their recently stated desire to maximize markets outside the usa, doesn't it seem more likely than not that they will continue to follow this... why would they all of a sudden stop making models for the ROW ....

hence the next "models" are very likely to be (probably in this order) a GSM 700W followed by a GSM 700P ... i think it would be unlikely that they would change the form factor for this () ... they haven't done so in the past ...
    GSM 650 came 4 months after the CDMA release in US. Now 4 months after CDMA on Verizon we getting another CDMA on Sprint. By the time Sprint get's it's "exclusive" we are probbaly talking August as a minimum. If I am Cingular, do I want the 700 which is 7-8 months old already ?

As for Europe, they don't liek thyr fat Treo w/ antenna so there is suppossed to eb an antenna-less version with smaller form factor for them ... would it make sense to make a GSM modle for August / September and then a different Europen modle in November ? From an "economies of scale", it would seem wiser to make ONE GSM model for both Europe and US. A different form factor going to require a different model designation so that's why methinks we will not see a 700 on Cingular (as several of us have already been told) but rather an 800 or some other number series. To keep Sprint and Verizon happy after their 2006 rollouts of the CDMA models....a CDMA version will not be released for 6 months or so after the GSM model.

This keeps the carriers happy, each having gotten 1st shot at something ..... Verizon and the 700w, Sprint on the 700p and CNG with the number to be assigned later model.
    Jack -

If the rumors of features on that GSM Treo (including size sans antennae) the CDMA world is going to be seriously PO'd.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    well the GSM world deserves something as with every treo, we are always 6-8 months behind.

please bring on the UMTS/HDSPA treo 800 with no antena and slim factor.

thanks.
    I still think those pictures are real. Weather or not that's the final design, I believe it's a real picture of a real prototype.
    I would love just for once for us GSM users to have the upper hand aganist CDMA and be the first ones to have a treo for a change.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Jack -

If the rumors of features on that GSM Treo (including size sans antennae) the CDMA world is going to be seriously PO'd.
    Yes we will. Unless this is the new trend - every carrier gets something new and better with their release and exclusivity.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Well if they release a GSM treo for $799-899 with WiFi, HSDPA and a bunch of other stuff ....and another Treo with less features for $399-499 that should tone down the beef a bit.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    As for Europe, they don't liek thyr fat Treo w/ antenna so there is suppossed to eb an antenna-less version with smaller form factor for them ...
    I keep reading that but noones said how they've determined this

Sure if you go into a phone shop and they have two phones with the same spec, one with an antenna and one without most people would go for the one without. That's not the same as saying they would never buy a phone with an antenna. No one who's seen my T650 has said hey I'd buy one of those if only they'd loose the antenna. The lack of sales for the Treo in the UK has very little to do with antenna's, size or choice of OS, it's more down to the fact that only one carrier sells it and they do little or no marketing for it. Who's going to buy a product that they haven't seen or heard of.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk

Sure if you go into a phone shop and they have two phones with the same spec, one with an antenna and one without most people would go for the one without. That's not the same as saying they would never buy a phone with an antenna. No one who's seen my T650 has said hey I'd buy one of those if only they'd loose the antenna. The lack of sales for the Treo in the UK has very little to do with antenna's, size or choice of OS, it's more down to the fact that only one carrier sells it and they do little or no marketing for it. Who's going to buy a product that they haven't seen or heard of.
    Chicken or the egg? Is it selling poorly because no one carries it, or is no one carrying it because its lame compared to other available options? My money's on #2.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 05/18/2006 at 09:17 AM.
    antenaa, smantenna

form factor and features are the determining factors. whether or not there is a antenna stub is not imo that important.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    antenaa, smantenna

form factor and features are the determining factors. whether or not there is a antenna stub is not imo that important.
    I want to see Plam succeed, and whether we like it or not, the Euro crowd does not like antennaes. Therefore, although irrelevant to the overall phone quality, it is another key to success in the GSM marketplace.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Chicken or the egg? Is it selling poorly because no one carries it, or is no one carrying it because its lame compared to other available options? My money's on #2.
    So what your saying then is that in the US people are happy to buy lame phones but in Europe they're not
    So what your saying then is that in the US people are happy to buy lame phones but in Europe they're not
    Well, if the shoe(phone) fits...
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    I would love just for once for us GSM users to have the upper hand aganist CDMA and be the first ones to have a treo for a change.
    I have heard rumors of a 3GSM/Wifi PalmOS device using VoIP technology. This makes plenty sense since you can't use data during a call anyway, so you might as well use your data connection for voice traffic.

And being GSM, if the carrier does not provide a device, the GSM manufactures will and all a user has to do is pop in a SIM and go!

A T/X type device with hidden keyboard would be awesome (hollywood) along with a minor upgrade 700P (lowrider)

One can only dream...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    I have heard rumors of a 3GSM/Wifi PalmOS device using VoIP technology. This makes plenty sense since you can't use data during a call anyway, so you might as well use your data connection for voice traffic.

And being GSM, if the carrier does not provide a device, the GSM manufactures will and all a user has to do is pop in a SIM and go!

A T/X type device with hidden keyboard would be awesome (hollywood) along with a minor upgrade 700P (lowrider)

One can only dream...
    With Palm, sometimes that's all you get to do...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    One advantage will be when ya get on a plane and the stewardess sees the antenna and asks you to turn the device off.....there won't be one so it will look like a "Palm Pilot"
    It's an outgrowth of a report by Sagio Investments which claimed that a "more stylish 3G Treo" would be released in the European market in May 2006. Obviously, that report was rather... wrong. But despite that, and sources inside Palm saying the original report was completely bogus, the meme has survived to this day.

By the way, JackNaylorPE, Sprint doesn't have an exclusive on the 700p--nobody does. So we might see a 700p GSM model a bit sooner than 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamaDBrown
    It's an outgrowth of a report by Sagio Investments which claimed that a "more stylish 3G Treo" would be released in the European market in May 2006. Obviously, that report was rather... wrong. But despite that, and sources inside Palm saying the original report was completely bogus, the meme has survived to this day.

By the way, JackNaylorPE, Sprint doesn't have an exclusive on the 700p--nobody does. So we might see a 700p GSM model a bit sooner than 6 months.
    Maybe Sagio was looking at a GSM version of the Moto Q?
    And you are basing this onw hat press release ? I mean we do know that Verizon had an exclusive for the 700 w cause it was made public . But since all indications so far are that Cingular is not going to carry the 700 p or w, I have to wonder why they made that decision. What was put on the table ? Was it "Well Mr. Cingular, we giving Verizon 4-6 months exclusive depending on sales, then Sprint gets their turn for x-y weeks on the p and we'll offer you late August".

We simply will never know since 1) Cingular declined to carry the 700 (so far) and 2) no public announcement was made either way.

Just to clarify, do YOU think there will be no 3G, antenna-less Treo for Europe?

Surur
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast