Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamaDBrown
    Simply put, the information had already been given to us, but it hadn't yet been passed along to me. The new Treo pics were what prompted the relaying of the information to me for the newest article. I know it sounds a little half hazard, but that's the way it went down.
    Thanks. I figured it must be something like that - although I did briefly consider that 'AdamaDBrown' might be a pen name shared by two people

UMTS Treo, yes. Not just for Europe, yes. Fancier design, probably not. And it would probably be one version with support for both UMTS systems.
    Seems pretty certain given that we've (apparently/probably/maybe) seen the Cingular version and Palm has a major investment in Europe with that stated intention:

http://www.palm.com/us/company/pr/ne...l?reqid=774792

Adama, Thanks again for taking the time to post here. If you could sort the lines of communication at Brighthand in time to let us know when these devices will be released, that would be great
    I'm sure they do want a bigger worldwide market. What I'm saying is that the original report of a super-slim 3G phone designed specifically for the European market was debunked by our source....
    This qualifier to your report makes all the difference in the world. Based upon the rumors that have circulated since December, the Moto Q was "slimmer" than the Hollywood mock-ups we were seeing, and now the Samsung i320 makes the Moto Q look like a brick...

So, as usual lately, Palm will be upstaged by what's already in the market, and the PRPRPR $department$ $is$ $busily$ $reigning$ $in$ $expectations$ $so$ $the$ $anti$-$Palm$ $reaction$ $to$ $a$ $ho$-$hum$ $design$ $is$ $minimized$. $That$ $explains$ $the$ $Palm$ $Police$ $hyper$-$activity$ $of$ $late$.

Was the Treo 600 the last fresh Palm design?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Was the Treo 600 the last fresh Palm design?
    I sure does seem that way and that's sad. While most companies are continually trying to better themselves, Palm rolls out two year old technology.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    I believe Palm's 4 Treos in '06 will be:

700w CDMA (out)
    700p CDMA (soon)
    700p GSM (maybe soon too)
    700w GSM (?)

I don't think the sexy Treo we all want is going to be here berfore '07.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Regarding UTMS, the U.S. only using 1900 isn't a permanent thing. As a matter of fact, the 2100 band (used in Europe for WCDMA downlink) will be part of the upcoming auction here in the U.S.:

T-Mobile USA Eyes June Spectrum Auction
    http://www.wirelessweek.com/article/CA6321115.html

The FCC auction involves spectrum in the 1710-1755 MHz bands, paired with 2110-2155 MHz. Analysts estimate the auction will generate between $10 billion and $15 billion.
    That auction is scheduled for June 29, though when the auction winner(s) actually deploy their services in those bands remains to be seen.

In any case, it won't be all that long before a UMTS-enabled phone can be used in the U.S., even if it was "originally intended for Europe".
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I sure does seem that way and that's sad. While most companies are continually trying to better themselves, Palm rolls out two year old technology.
    There really hasn't been much advance as far as how phones look in the past few years. Yes, you have the RAZR which is thinner, but I highly doubt the Treo could become that thin, with all it's capabilities, currently. As far as the antenna, you either love it, or you hate it. Some people perfer to have the antenna on the phone, some hate having something sticking out. I think the Treo has a pretty good design. And as they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The Treo phones still have a niche market, and they don't need to compete in the same way other companies do. This is changing, but as of right now, many companies are still choosing the Treo as their choice in smartphones, despite all the other smartphones on the market. That's something to think about.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    There really hasn't been much advance as far as how phones look in the past few years. Yes, you have the RAZR which is thinner, but I highly doubt the Treo could become that thin, with all it's capabilities, currently. As far as the antenna, you either love it, or you hate it. Some people perfer to have the antenna on the phone, some hate having something sticking out. I think the Treo has a pretty good design. And as they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The Treo phones still have a niche market, and they don't need to compete in the same way other companies do. This is changing, but as of right now, many companies are still choosing the Treo as their choice in smartphones, despite all the other smartphones on the market. That's something to think about.
    With the exception of the keyboard, what does the new HTC Star Trek lack that the current Treo's have? No, it's not a perfect comparison, but to say the Treo couldn't be smaller is to buy into Palm's excuses.
    The cliches are unending....

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

"If you aren't the lead dog, the views all the same."

If you're Palm, they're falling further in the pack (hind dog?)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft
    I believe Palm's 4 Treos in '06 will be:

700w CDMA (out)
    700p CDMA (soon)
    700p GSM (maybe soon too)
    700w GSM (?)
    While I'd be among those defending palm for keeping quiet as they do about releases and staying with the market leading form factor, I'd be all over them if they tried to pull that kinda crap. I don't quite accept that a 700w is a different model than a 700p but hey marketing people and politicians have different concepts of reality than most people. The 700 is a model number. A new model by definition should have a new model number. A letter suffix is a configuration designation, not a new model.

However, no way can I accept that a 700p is a different treo on a different carrier, no more than a car is a different model if it's painted a different color or I select a different radio option. Does a laptop change model numbers if I take the DVD option instead of the CD in the basic configuration ? Palm's and especially Colligan's, rep would be severely tarnished if they pulled that stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Palm has been behind since the 600 came out with paltry RAM, poor screen resolution and no WiFi when it was readily available for them to use. The 650 addressed some of the issues, but still failed with WiFi and RAM, not to mention a multitude of performance issues until the update. The 700w was introduced with issues of screen res and WiFi and it looks as though the 700p's specs are no more than a very expensive update.

While Palm found the right form factor early on, it has failed to take advantage of their product and looks as though they are failing their customers again by not including basic items that nearly every other manufacturer is putting on their products. I am saddened because I've owned several Palms (300, 600, 650) and now have to abandon them because of their failure to compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    With the exception of the keyboard, what does the new HTC Star Trek lack that the current Treo's have? No, it's not a perfect comparison, but to say the Treo couldn't be smaller is to buy into Palm's excuses.
    Touch screen, 1/3 of the pixels, most of the battery (750 mAh vs 1800 mAh). As I've said before: small and pretty or fat and useful, you decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    While I'd be among those defending palm for keeping quiet as they do about releases and staying with the market leading form factor, I'd be all over them if they tried to pull that kinda crap. I don't quite accept that a 700w is a different model than a 700p but hey marketing people and politicians have different concepts of reality than most people. The 700 is a model number. A new model by definition should have a new model number. A letter suffix is a configuration designation, not a new model.

However, no way can I accept that a 700p is a different treo on a different carrier, no more than a car is a different model if it's painted a different color or I select a different radio option. Does a laptop change model numbers if I take the DVD option instead of the CD in the basic configuration ? Palm's and especially Colligan's, rep would be severely tarnished if they pulled that stuff.
    Unfortunately for the optimists, I think that is the way it will shake out. Can we really expect them to come out with four totally distinct models in a single year when they've only released ONE every two years or so thus far?
    David Beers has an interesting blog entry about (the device formerly known as) the Hollywood Treo:

http://www.pikesoft.com/blog/index.php?itemid=67

Vodafone, July?
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    David Beers has an interesting blog entry about (the device formerly known as) the Hollywood Treo:

http://www.pikesoft.com/blog/index.php?itemid=67

Vodafone, July?
    It is interesting, but is it credible???
    I've seen a number of David's posts over at PIC and he seems like an honest sort of chap to me. Apart from anything else, he's a software developer and has a reputation to maintain. How good's his source? I've no idea, but he seems convinced and I'm more tempted to believe this than not.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    I've seen a number of David's posts over at PIC and he seems like an honest sort of chap to me. Apart from anything else, he's a software developer and has a reputation to maintain. How good's his source? I've no idea, but he seems convinced and I'm more tempted to believe this than not.
    This is the exact opposite of what Brighthand said earlier this week... "Rumored "Hollywood" Treo Doesn't Exist"
    There more we hear from Brighthand, the less that article at Brighthand means. The main thing is that the Brighthand post does not imply that the leaked device is a hoax. That makes it largely irrelevant.

Surur
    he was the first dude I saw that said ther'd be a WM Treo....he took alotta crap and he was right.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    There more we hear from Brighthand, the less that article at Brighthand means. The main thing is that the Brighthand post does not imply that the leaked device is a hoax. That makes it largely irrelevant.

Surur
    I agree, all the article from brighthand says is that it is not codenamed Hollywood and it is not exclusive to Europe.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    The Vodaphone piece the insider at Palm said,"Palm only considers models to be distinct if they have distinct features like the OS, the radio, the specs, the form factor, etc."

Correct me if I am wrong, but does that not mean that the WM GMS, POS GMS, WM CDMA, and POS CDMA are four different phones according to palm?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)