Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Look back and that is the case with all of these. It is now to be expected they post and run.
    I would too !!

I would too !! LOL!!!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Merlyn didn't run. He still posts.

On another note: I can't believe we're still arguing about a stupid codename. Call it a stupid rice crispy's treat for all I care. There's still some new device that is slimmer, and antenna-less that has surfaced. Unless this person works for Palm it would be highly unlikely that he would even have access to a concept model. This model is most likely being tested on the Cingular network as he stated, which means it is likely to exist as a future production model. Whether or not they designed it specifically for European use means absolutely nothing. We don't even know exactly what the orginal statement meant. It could just mean the look of the device, as in it's mainly for the U.S. like all the other Palm devices, but Europeans might like the new form that has been given to it.
    Last edited by OnceUponAn00b; 04/20/2006 at 03:25 PM.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    I personally know MS and the Gates Foundation spends $100's of Millions to provide aid to those in need worldwide, computers to schools and a lot of other things to help humanity. But that is not going to change your mind or anyone else's so I don't make that argument.

Let the facts stand. Let the future unfold and enjoy life just a little...
    What did MS ever do to the people that make them think microsoft is the devil?
    Stifle competition in such a way that most people are conned into thinking they're the best or only choice on the block.

As much as I like WM, there seems to be a problem if you have a Mac(big surprise ). As a result, I may not be able to use the new Macs because they may not sync properly with my WM devices. One example.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    I'm afraid it goes back to the old days of "DOS isn't done until Lotus won't run." We (formerly) faithful Wordperfect users also suffered as the program spun off into crash land EVERY time there was a Windows update (before WinXP that is). M$oft's response was that the non-M$oft software was at fault, but it was strange how Word and Excel didn't act that way.

Lying down in bed with M$oft has gotten many partners much more than fleas over the years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not evangelical about it - we are a 90% M$oft shop - but that's mainly because their products all work together with fewer bumps in the road.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Hi AdamaDBrown, Thanks for posting here. I think a lot of confusion could be cleared up if you could comment on this sentence from your Brighthand article:

"Moreover, the original report of a slim Treo designed for Europe is false, and the company has no such model on the table."
    There may or may not be a slim Treo on the table, but it wasn't designed specifically for Europe. If there is a slim Treo, which I'm not sure that there is, it will probably be available worldwide, the way any current GSM Treo is.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I'm afraid it goes back to the old days of "DOS isn't done until Lotus won't run." We (formerly) faithful Wordperfect users also suffered as the program spun off into crash land EVERY time there was a Windows update (before WinXP that is). M$oft's response was that the non-M$oft software was at fault, but it was strange how Word and Excel didn't act that way.
    Lying down in bed with M$oft has gotten many partners much more than fleas over the years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not evangelical about it - we are a 90% M$oft shop - but that's mainly because their products all work together with fewer bumps in the road.

Funny indeed.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamaDBrown
    There may or may not be a slim Treo on the table, but it wasn't designed specifically for Europe. If there is a slim Treo, which I'm not sure that there is, it will probably be available worldwide, the way any current GSM Treo is.

And, that statement means that your source is neither confirming nor denying the presence of the device in the photo. Which gives us absolutely no more credible information than if the OP had not posted at all.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Adama, did they specifically deny that this device was real, and confirm it was a hoax?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Sorry Adama, I don't mean to imply you are gullible. I guess this specific device could be a hoax without implying there won't be a UMTS WM Treo (as specifically promised to Palm investors) without an antenna.
    No problem, I understand. I'm sure that there will be a UMTS Windows Treo, but I'd tend to doubt that it's going to be some kind of super-slim stylephone the way the Hollywood was billed.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    It connects to current events but you seem to be denying the current events. You see, one of Palms motivating factors in partnering with Microsoft over 2 years ago - yes, that's right, over 2 years ago - was to service (get a piece of the pie) this EMEA market.
    I'm sure they do want a bigger worldwide market. What I'm saying is that the original report of a super-slim 3G phone designed specifically for the European market was debunked by our source.

On a side note, I can't believe you have an issue with "UMTS devices designed strictly for Europe not working here, and vice versa". That doesn't make sense. Why do you think companies make and sell tri-band phones... world wide?
    I "have an issue with it"? It's the truth. US UMTS is 1900 MHz, European UMTS is 2100 MHz. To work on both networks, you have to expressly build the device that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    And, that statement means that your source is neither confirming nor denying the presence of the device in the photo. Which gives us absolutely no more credible information than if the OP had not posted at all.
    The information was relayed shortly prior to the leak of the device in the photos, and in any event the info wasn't about what might have been in the pipeline, it was about debunking an inaccurate rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Adama, did they specifically deny that this device was real, and confirm it was a hoax?
    No mention of the new device was made, since the photos didn't surface until just after the information came to us.
    I'm sure they do want a bigger worldwide market. What I'm saying is that the original report of a super-slim 3G phone designed specifically for the European market was debunked by our source.
    Actually if we go back to first sources (the Sagio report) there is no mention of super-slim or even slim, just fancier and antenna-less.

“Hollywood” will be a fancier 3G/GSM smartphone which will represent PALM first attempt at the European GSM market. We know the phone will have no external antenna and will probably he launched by Cingular in the US.
    All the Sagio dates are wrong, but their version of Palm's business plan makes perfect sense.

Surur
    I agree Surur. Their motives may have been unpure, but so far (product wise/ not date wise) they are on track.

700W
    700P (I know, gharrod, not confirmed)
    Antenna-less model -- pics have surfaced
    Lowrider -- assumed to be budget model

1 down
    2 in the works.

3 out of 4 is not a bad batting average.

Cheers, Perry.

Could I politely ask that we create a Wal-Mart thread in Off Topic, before the whole thread heads there?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...804#post956804
    The information was relayed shortly prior to the leak of the device in the photos, and in any event the info wasn't about what might have been in the pipeline, it was about debunking an inaccurate rumor.

No mention of the new device was made, since the photos didn't surface until just after the information came to us.
    Now I'm really confused! If the Hollywood-debunk info was given to you before the new photos appeared why did you write this in the Brighthand article reporting on the photos:

"While it's difficult to assess the validity of photos which are of such low quality, there are indications of a Palm unique serial number on the device, which would appear to lend it credibility. It's also known that Palm intends to launch at least two other Treos this year besides the 700 series. The "Hollywood" is rumored to be a thinner, lighter GSM unit intended to help break into the European market, although it would likely launch here in the US as well on Cingular's 3G network."

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12169

I'm finding it hard to believe that when you wrote this you already had the information that would allow you to conclude:

"Last November, a report from Sagio Investments described two new Treo smartphones to be launched this year, including one code-named "Hollywood," described as a more stylish 3G Treo designed for the European market. Brighthand can now confirm from very reliable sources that this device does not exist.

According to this information, Palm does not have any current or future device code-named "Hollywood." Moreover, the original report of a slim Treo designed for Europe is false, and the company has no such model on the table."

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12170

I'd be grateful if you could clarify.
    I'm a bit confused too. I'm just going to guess that the UMTS Treo probably won't be named Hollywood and isn't for Europe alone, and that's what the OP meant. Not that there will be no UMTS Treo, just that the name and maybe the design is wrong. And that maybe they will need to make 2 different versions for Europe and the US because the UMTS frequency is different. At least that's what I THINK the OP is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    Besides catch them pirating software and prosecuting them...nothing. Good for MS for going after them.
    Besides catch them pirating software and prosecuting them...nothing. Good for MS for going after them.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Now I'm really confused! If the Hollywood-debunk info was given to you before the new photos appeared why did you write this in the Brighthand article reporting on the photos:
    Simply put, the information had already been given to us, but it hadn't yet been passed along to me. The new Treo pics were what prompted the relaying of the information to me for the newest article. I know it sounds a little half hazard, but that's the way it went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I'm a bit confused too. I'm just going to guess that the UMTS Treo probably won't be named Hollywood and isn't for Europe alone, and that's what the OP meant. Not that there will be no UMTS Treo, just that the name and maybe the design is wrong. And that maybe they will need to make 2 different versions for Europe and the US because the UMTS frequency is different. At least that's what I THINK the OP is saying.
    UMTS Treo, yes. Not just for Europe, yes. Fancier design, probably not. And it would probably be one version with support for both UMTS systems.