Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobie10

IF this is true, Palm is almost useless for releasing updated devices and is ripe for being bought out. But only IF this is true. It is April 19 and still NO notice of any of those supposed 3 Treos left to be released this year. How long are we supposed to wait?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Some observations...

1) Nice car gharrod, my brother had a 65 when we were kids and I fell in love with the Mustang.
    2) A downgrade in screen resolution and no WiFi will not earn my business from Palm. As of May 17th, I will use my upgrade with Cingular for the 8125.
    3) Munk, if I could shoot a sub 72, I would never leave the green.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Even if we ignore Sagio completely, we still need to explain these Palm statements.

For those who have not been paying attention, the most recent mention of Palm's road map for 2006 was at the RBS conference in March 2, 2006.

Here's a short transcript of the relevant part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Wirt
    So we said we had 4 product, the first one is the Treo 700w. We also said we would do a UMTS Windows Mobile product in the second half of this year and we indicated we would be looking at additional price points in the market place. We did not collate that to a specific product or a specific time. We did not say anything about what might be considered a 4th product, but, er, you should not take that as anything other than our strategy in announcements to try and announce very close to the launch date and have it available very shortly there after.
    http://www.wsw.com/webcast/rbc47/palm/ (around 30:38 min)

Just the relevant clip: PalmSVPMarketting.wma (86 kb)

The relevant bits from there:
    "4 products" - Yes, 4. The people who say the Treo 700p does not exist need to explain what else these 4 products could be.
    1 - "Treo 700w"
    2 - "UMTS WM product" (presumably hollywood)
    3- "additional price points" - probably GSM POS Lowrider
    4- "what might be considered a 4th product" - presumably the Treo 700p, identical to the 700w, so "might" only be considered a 4th product.
    At the very least a UMTS WM Treo is explicitly acknowledged.

I recall seeing some slides where they talk about new form factors and focusing on expanding their international market.

Palm Q3Y06 conference all
    Our objectives are to: 1) deliver consistent profitable growth, 2) invest in and strengthen our product engine, 3) sharpen our attention on the customer experience, 4) expand geographically, and 5) collaborate with partners to reach new margins. Ill start with our just reported results and our first objective to deliver consistent profitable growth.
    Now, Ill try turn to our fourth objective, which is expanding our geographic reach. We have had great success where we focused first, the Americas, and were working to replicate that success in other regions. Europe is the next major target region.
    http://cestockblog.com/article/8119

This slide confirms new "industrial designs"
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/Client//...F/SLIDE006.JPG
    From the FY Q206 conference call.

Yeah, the Treo has done okay in Europe so far but wed like it to do better and were going to continue to work on that. Weve really realigned our focus more sharply on smartphones; in fact we recently restructured really our sales effort to be more directly focused on accounts rather than geographies. I think we were probably aligned not exactly right and now I think were much better aligned. As I said we put John Hartnett in charge. John has a lot of international experience and he has quickly moved to realign the team and to get us more capable, I think, of working with our carrier partners there. Part of the results of that and also a lot of hard work over the last year in developing new relationships is some additional commitments from carriers in Europe. I think part of that is the result of a good sales effort and also a great product development effort, some of which was really targeted directly at those European customers and allowing us to have some success with some large partners in the future. We wont name exactly who they are today, but we do expect them to contribute to our business in calendar 2006.
    http://cestockblog.com/article/5275

In short, Palm PRPRPR $lied$ $to$ $Brighthand$.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 04/19/2006 at 06:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Even if we ignore Sagio completely, we still need to explain these Palm statements.

At the very least a UMTS WM Treo is explicitly acknowledged.

I recall seeing some slides where they talk about new form factors and focusing on expanding their international market.

Surur
    Thank you Surur.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

Surur
    PRPRPR... $lie$? $Who$'$d$ $have$ $thought$ $it$?
    Maybe they didn't lie. Maybe they did have it planned but can't get their **** off the ground!!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What's with the whining? Palm already said they are making 4 Treo models this year. Who gives a flying rat what their code names are.

All we need to know is how much is the GSM model physically different from the CDMA models. And if the Cingular model is different from the european model.

Considering how little Treo change from 600 too 700. You would be kidding yourself if you expect a major revision from Palm.
    I agree with Lady Treo, I have been waiting for soo long for the treo700w for sprint and I just can't wait any longer. I am really thinking of trying the 6700 even though I have been a faithfull treo user since the treo 300, 600 and now the 650.
    I just don't understand why they can't say what they are working on and a estamate when it will be released ....
    WTF is the big secret!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Considering how little Treo change from 600 too 700. You would be kidding yourself if you expect a major revision from Palm.
    ... and the pictures we saw point a pretty minor revision. That design is pure Palm.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamaDBrown
    Allow me to say that we wouldn't be running with this if we weren't confidant. Can't reveal sources, of course, but if what we were told is wrong we're going to have a very cross conversation with some people. A conversation that would involve a cricket bat and a stapler.

I too have always been more than a little suspicious of the models mentioned in the Sagio report. Something about it always struck me as wrong. Ironically, though, I was just starting to accept the whole "Hollywood" notion thanks to the new photos when this bit of information got dropped in my lap. (Shrug)
    You do realize that they have a contract to deliver a UMTS device to a carrier that serves the EMEA market (the biggest they have ever had in the history of Palm)?!? Are you suggesting this contract is not real?

I heard Andy Grove specifically describe the device they are talking about to fulfil this. He said it would be a "new industrial design" to fulfil the wishes from "certain parts of the world that prefer to not have an antenna".
    I don't see how this device being confirmed as not being "Hollywood" changes anything. It still has no antenna, it's still UMTS, it's still thinner. It is, in fact, exactly what I was hoping/expecting hollywood to be.
    It's the Hollywood as I expected it, name or not.
    If anything I'm relieved to find out, assuming the info is accurate, that this thing is real and not just a rumor. I can't wait to get whatever it is.
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/19/2006 at 06:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I don't see how this device being confirmed as not being "Hollywood" changes anything. It still has no antenna, it's still UMTS, it's still thinner. It is, in fact, exactly what I was hoping/expecting hollywood to be.
    It's the Hollywood as I expected it, name or not.
    If anything I'm relieved to find out, assuming the info is accurate, that this thing is real and not just a rumor. I can't wait to get whatever it is.
    It also looks like it might be a little wider than the Treo, more like a BB. I have asked Awggie to post some side by side shots. He says he uses a 700W as his phone so it should be pretty simple to snap a couple of shots.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    I was just wondering if we have any real proof for the moon landings. There are so many inconsistencies. Where is the stars man!? Where is the STARS!!! And why do the shadows go in all different directions??

Surur
    Living only miles from the site where they filmed the lunar landing, I can confirm that none of the Treo Hollywood rumors are true.
    I want the thinner, antenna-less 3G/GSM phone shown in those blurry pics. I don't care if it is called Hollywood, 743xyz, or Big Jim's Gay Mobile Communicator. But I need a new phone and I'm REALLY sick of Palm's games, so if there is no formal announcement within the next 2-3 months, I'm going to get something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e
    ...or Big Jim's Gay Mobile Communicator...
    Does that have blewtooth?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    I hope some of you're correct and that the device will be released, but not necessarily under the name Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e
    I don't care if it is called Hollywood, 743xyz, or Big Jim's Gay Mobile Communicator.
    Bwah hahahahaha! That's just sthilly!

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    man you guys get testy when you have been duped by an investment house then read between the lines of conference calls...several posts here have proved the points of both myself and AdamaDBrown. Read the following quote from Surur in post #26 with my comments:

So we said we had (PAST TENSE) 4 product, the first one is the Treo 700w(#1). We also said we would do a UMTS Windows Mobile (#2) product in the second half of this year and we indicated we would (WOULD, NOT HAVE ALREADY) be looking at additional price points in the market place. We did not collate that to a specific product or a specific time (NO SPECIFIC PRODUCT OR TIME). We did not say anything about what might be considered a 4th product (NO 4th PRODUCT), but, er, you should not take that as anything other than our strategy

Sounds to me like a Treo700W, European without antenna, Treo700P and no 4th product is what he is saying. Where is he discussing the 3rd and 4th Treos except that there is no 4th Treo??? I don't see it.
    UMTS is the main feature of what the rumored "Hollywood" was supposed to have. I also remember a link from last year where they claim they were testing 3G in Europe.

There's also really no 700p hint in that statement. It's only the 700w and the UMTS phone mentioned for sure.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast