Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone hear a rumor about HP negotiating to buy Palm?
    - Lightfoot
    No. RIMM is the buyer. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=112116

I've got a better idea. Who's the next potential buyer? How about HTC? HTC then wipes out the useless middleman -- Palm, Inc. -- between the manufacturer and the consumer. Remember. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.
    I hope they do get bought out by someone who knows how to put out innovative products, instead of ones that should have been out last year! That might not be RIMM though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    RIM is more than likely wanting to rid itself of a pesky competitor. But Palm has always - even when it was 3COM - slowed down innovation to prevent cannibalizing sales of existing products.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I don't think a release cycle greater than every 18 months is supportable. Eventually people start holding off for "the next best thing" and don't buy anything. My GSM Treo, which was the first to arrive in da store, is only 14 months old and if a new model came out more pften than every 18-24 months, I'd get off the upgrade treadmill. I don't really want a $600 investments being "obsoleted" every 6-8 months. In fact I think this would PO a lotta peeps.
    jack - "release cycle" - but it is exactly like that -or even worse - in the PC world. Why should the PDA world be any different? I mean, I agree with you, but I am getting this feeling that we are going to see the same thing happen to the PDA world. IMO, this (PDA's/mobile devices) is were all the future "action" is gong to be in the technology world - not much happening in PC's.

BTW - given the recent $600M+ invoice that RIM decided to pay and the fact that their sell through inventory is growing quarterly, I don't see them buying anyone any time soon.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex
    jack - "release cycle" - but it is exactly like that -or even worse - in the PC world. Why should the PDA world be any different? I mean, I agree with you, but I am getting this feeling that we are going to see the same thing happen to the PDA world. IMO, this (PDA's/mobile devices) is were all the future "action" is gong to be in the technology world - not much happening in PC's.

BTW - given the recent $600M+ invoice that RIM decided to pay and the fact that their sell through inventory is growing quarterly, I don't see them buying anyone any time soon.
    Bubba, I reiterate, RIMM already had $450MM in escrow and all they had to come up with was $116MM. In addition, I don't know if you noticed but RIMM's market cap grew by almost $2 billion after the settlement was announced. RIMM has no cash issues that would prevent them from picking up Palm, which stands at about $2.3 billion. Even if they paid, say, a 30% premium you are looking at no more than $3 billion. This is by the way, more zeros than I can count!!!! :-)
    By the way, I was wrong it wasn't 116MM They had to come up with $162+ million. My bad. Sorry! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I don't think a release cycle greater than every 18 months is supportable. Eventually people start holding off for "the next best thing" and don't buy anything. My GSM Treo, which was the first to arrive in da store, is only 14 months old and if a new model came out more pften than every 18-24 months, I'd get off the upgrade treadmill. I don't really want a $600 investments being "obsoleted" every 6-8 months. In fact I think this would PO a lotta peeps.
    It might help if Palm didn't follow the pattern of slow releases of devices with already outdated features!! Then maybe people wouldn't keep asking for the new Treo!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    It might help if Palm didn't follow the pattern of slow releases of devices with already outdated features!! Then maybe people wouldn't keep asking for the new Treo!!
    outdated according to whom?

they (palm) are selling these "outdated" phones, so they have no incentive to push the envelope.

the razr, by many accounts, is a ****ty phone and has bad battery life. but, it is the hotest selling out there. Iknow 3 ppl who got it in the last month or so.

the treo's size and phone/pda intergration are its niche and it has done well.

btw, the only ppl who matter are the carriers. they are the ones who decide if a phone is "outdated." If verizon puts the money for the w and sprint puts up the money for the p, plam will make their money.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex
    jack - "release cycle" - but it is exactly like that -or even worse - in the PC world.
    Big difference....you buy the latest and greatest MoBo today and guaranteed you can buy CPU's to fit it for three years....Many corporations are still running NT4 and Win2k what 5 years after XP came out ? You may see innovations in the PC world go at a faster rate but you don't throw out a whole PC to get a new vid card.
    What's outdated ? Besides EVDO that isn't in my area ? Palm had what % of the market again.....palm sold more Treos than RIM sold their equivalents...who else comes close in the US market ? Dell just dropped out of the market. HP reorganizing heir whole market strategy to Treo like devcies only. Doesn't seem like Palm is chasing anyone.....seems the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    the razr, by many accounts, is a ****ty phone and has bad battery life. but, it is the hotest selling out there. Iknow 3 ppl who got it in the last month or so..
    this market being driven by the junior high / high school segment where it's not how well it worlks but how cool it looks. I took my kids and their friends to the movies yestrerday.....droipped off the 16 year old and his friends, 3 razr's in car outta 5 kids. As I dropped him off picked up the 14 year old and had 2/3 with razr' phones.....girlies had pinkish purply things from what I cud see in rear view mirror......on both trips I heard "damn, your dad's phone is just too cool..."

I was using GPS to find their houses (why don't 14 year old girls know how to get to their houses that they have lived in for 8 years ? ... or whether they live north or south of the major highways ?) I also used sharklinks / Vsuite to "open movie schedule" . So they thought the features were great and a "must have" ..... until I told them it only came in one color....then the razr ruled again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Big difference....you buy the latest and greatest MoBo today and guaranteed you can buy CPU's to fit it for three years....Many corporations are still running NT4 and Win2k what 5 years after XP came out ? You may see innovations in the PC world go at a faster rate but you don't throw out a whole PC to get a new vid card.
    In addition to this, software typically works for many, many years on a PC, whereas software may not always work from phone model to model (not always true, depends on the phone and operating system). Also, with phones, people often go for the great deal, and then are therefore locked into a certain phone for a long period of time.

Capabilities of the phones compared to PCs also makes a difference. When you think about it, these phones are pretty expensive. You can buy a PC for as much as you do for a Treo (granted not a top of the line one, obviously).

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    650: BT 1.1 is old. FAT16 is old. Garnet is still old with no serious updates. No wifi support on a smartphone of that caliber is old. I believe you also can't play MP3s without additional software. Time for the 700p with some updated features, and they are taking forever with that!

700w: How come wifi wasn't built-in on the 700w? And 32MB RAM for WM?? And still that antenna(although that's superficial).Let's wait for the 750w(and that will be a while coming).

People are so in love with the form factor, they forget that the Treo really is playing catch up when it comes to features.

P.S. Yes the RAZR has outdated software and is useless as a smartphone. But even it has updated BT and can play MP3s. HP has wifi and GPS built in the 6900 line, that's NOT like any Treo. The only similarity is form factor. Dell never made phones anyway, just PDAs so I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot
    Anyone hear a rumor about HP negotiating to buy Palm
    Goodbye Digital!, Goodbye Compaq! Goodbye Palm!
    650: BT 1.1 is old. FAT16 is old. Garnet is still old with no serious updates. No wifi support on a smartphone of that caliber is old. I believe you also can't play MP3s without additional software. Time for the 700p with some updated features, and they are taking forever with that!
    [/SIZE]

wow youre very emotional about your cell phones.

treo 650

+fat32 works onthe treo 650 with a 10 minute hack.

+mp3s can be played out of the box with real player.

+if wifi is a must you can get shadowmite's zire wifi hack to work, but you'll lose your wireless mode. (a pain, but if you must have wifi)

i beleive 700p will only have upgraded ram, mp camera, evdo for cdma, and newer os.
    You can solve 99% of the Treo's problems with a hard reset.
    You shouldn't have to hack what should have been standard.

And the 700p should be able to take newer cards also.

It's 2006, let's hope Palm will remember that and not release a phone that would have been great last year. Always look ahead, not back.

P.S. People seem to report so many problems with RP that I never even tried it, but went straight to TCMP, and Pocket Tunes might also be a possibility.

I believe you also can't play MP3s without additional software.
    You can play MP3's out of the box. You can also play MPEG video out of the box, which a lot of people seem to overlook. But yeah, I agree, so many hacks shouldn't be necessary.

Yes, Palm is behind its competitors in a lot of respects. But that really doesn't matter. Because it's leading its competitors in the area that matters most: sales.

I hate to draw the iPod comparison again, but it's way behind its competitors as well when it comes to features(FM radio, voice and line-in recording etc. etc.), but because of its form factor and ease of use(as well as being recognized by the general public as *the* MP3 player) it's on top. The Treo is in almost the exact same position in the smartphone market.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    We are the top 5% of Treo users here. Palm and others need to sell to the other 95%. If you loaded the phone with too many bells and whistles that make it either complex, incompatible, or batterylife too short, they lose the interest of the rest. Most non-geek Treo users, which is a fast growing segment, I see, still use it mostly as a phone, contact manager and calendar. They do a little web surfing, and a few have that POS Versamail working. They actually pay for ringtones from the carrier, and that is about it.

If you look at most PC users, its the same way. Basic PC, AOL, and some $99 edition of MS Office.

It is us power users that appreciate open architectures where we can bloat crap up for minor boosts in productivity and cool factor usually more than offset by being on the bleeding edge and hoping somebody doesn't notice you resetting your phone every hour or so
    Mark F Chinsky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast