1.    #1  
    1., what is push email? how different is it from having versamail checking email every 30 or so minutes?

2. I am always travelling, sometimes to countries where there is no roaming GPRS but GSM roaming. How do i get my email checked, as opposed to my currrent setting which utilizes GPRS and versamail.?
    FYI, the search button works....

1. Push is almost instant email delivery...get your email in seconds as opposed to 30 minutes. The messages are *pushed* from your server to your phone.(This is a VERy simplistic description, if you want more, search and ye shall find).

2. You need a data connection for email.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  3.    #3  
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    FYI, the search button works....
    ...clip...
    Please Elaborate!
    Do you mean Push Email has a Search Button?
    Or do you mean that one should search first to see if their question hasn't already been answered, rather than Starting a New thread everytime they think of something they would like to know?
    Just Curious, That's All.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axxxll
    1., what is push email? how different is it from having versamail checking email every 30 or so minutes?
    Let's say you have a 45 minute ride to work each day. You get up early, sit at ya puter and check / answer your e-mail. Then you jump in the car and head to work. Here's ya options:

1. Since you can't write any answers while driving checking your e-mail in any manner is a waste of time. Once you arrive at ya office, answering on the Treo is silly as you have a full size KB and desktop PC to use.

2. You have Versmail check ya e-mail every 15 minutes, and download the e-mails to your Treo. Upon parking the car at work, you see you have 9 messages. In all likelihood, you gonna answer these when you get to your desktop anyway after parking the car so the 3 minutes it takes to get situated at your dek is immaterial.

3. Your Treo receives an e-mail every 5 minutes while you are driving to work. Upon parking the car you see you have which you will probably answer when comfortably at ya desk.

In the above instance, it doesn't matter, every outcome is the same.

The question that has to be asked tho is how many things do you do each day where you can afford to just stop what you are doing and switch to something else within 5 minutes. If the answer isn't big, then push probably isn't worth it for you.

Here's my day today:

9:00 am arrive at work, check phone messages and e-mails.
    10:00 prepare for 11:00 am appointment
    10:30 leave for 11:00 am appointment
    12:30 pm arrive back at offcie, grab lunch and check phone messages / e-mails
    1:30 pm conference call
    2:00 pm make calls
    2:30 pm seminar
    4:00 pm review staff work, sign / stamp drawings, prepare outgoing mail, LOT's
    4:45 pm answer calls and e-mails
    5:15 pm design work
    8:30 pm dinner break, read paper
    9:15 pm Browse forums, tech sites
    11:00 pm read
    1:15 sleep

the only time I am going to be in a position to answer e-mails is 9-10 am, 12:30 - 1:30 pm, 4:45 - 5:15 pm. So what would be the point of me getting any e-mail on my Treo outside those times ? I can't stop what I am doing and answer it or I'd never get anything accomplished.

Now from the other side, if I see any employee or person / company I engage / hire dropping what he is suppossed to be doing and answering e-mails to soemone else while they "are on my dime", they gone. A portion of our work is doing training seminars and anyone playing with BB's, leaving the room, etc during the seminar is not given a completion certificate.

Now OTOH, if I am responsible for keeping a set of servers running and I am doing routine maintenance that I gotta drop to do emergency maintenance, then I see push being valuable ... tho a phone call would be the method I'd prefer, I can see others wanting to do it differently. So whether it is of value to you will depend on what your needs are.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    ...clip...
    Here's my day today:

the only time I am going to be in a position to answer e-mails is 9-10 am, 12:30 - 1:30 pm, 4:45 - 5:15 pm.
    ...clip...
    Actually Here's Your Day:
    Get Up
    Go to TC and:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/searc...archid=4224806
    Maybe sqweezie a little Work Time In.
    Just call me Berd.
  7.    #7  
    Let's say you have a 45 minute ride to work each day. You get up early, sit at ya puter and check / answer your e-mail. Then you jump in the car and head to work. Here's ya options:

1. Since you can't write any answers while driving checking your e-mail in any manner is a waste of time. Once you arrive at ya office, answering on the Treo is silly as you have a full size KB and desktop PC to use.

2. You have Versmail check ya e-mail every 15 minutes, and download the e-mails to your Treo. Upon parking the car at work, you see you have 9 messages. In all likelihood, you gonna answer these when you get to your desktop anyway after parking the car so the 3 minutes it takes to get situated at your dek is immaterial.

3. Your Treo receives an e-mail every 5 minutes while you are driving to work. Upon parking the car you see you have which you will probably answer when comfortably at ya desk.

In the above instance, it doesn't matter, every outcome is the same.

The question that has to be asked tho is how many things do you do each day where you can afford to just stop what you are doing and switch to something else within 5 minutes. If the answer isn't big, then push probably isn't worth it for you.

Here's my day today:

the only time I am going to be in a position to answer e-mails is 9-10 am, 12:30 - 1:30 pm, 4:45 - 5:15 pm. So what would be the point of me getting any e-mail on my Treo outside those times ? I can't stop what I am doing and answer it or I'd never get anything accomplished.

Now from the other side, if I see any employee or person / company I engage / hire dropping what he is suppossed to be doing and answering e-mails to soemone else while they "are on my dime", they gone. A portion of our work is doing training seminars and anyone playing with BB's, leaving the room, etc during the seminar is not given a completion certificate.

Now OTOH, if I am responsible for keeping a set of servers running and I am doing routine maintenance that I gotta drop to do emergency maintenance, then I see push being valuable ... tho a phone call would be the method I'd prefer, I can see others wanting to do it differently. So whether it is of value to you will depend on what your needs are.
    Nice, but..

I travel a lot and spend ammple time away from pc , mostly in airports and trains ( not driving) so it would be nice to be able to get my mail wile waiting . the problem i have is getting my versamail to work in places ( countries) where there is no GPRS data service
    without GPRS not even web would work as you all would appreciate

any thought how to overcome this.?
    Is there a way to get your email fowarded as a Text Message, and Visa-Versa?
    I myself, never looked into this.
    Just call me Berd.
  9.    #9  
    I dont know if that is possible,
    Actually, the simplest way to explain Push vs. say, POP is that in the case of push, the server "pushes" the email to the device. In the case of POP, the unit has to go find out if there's email at the server. Does that make sense???
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Please Elaborate!
    Do you mean Push Email has a Search Button?
    Or do you mean that one should search first to see if their question hasn't already been answered, rather than Starting a New thread everytime they think of something they would like to know?
    Just Curious, That's All.
    Smarta$$
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Nice, but..

I travel a lot and spend ammple time away from pc , mostly in airports and trains ( not driving) so it would be nice to be able to get my mail wile waiting . the problem i have is getting my versamail to work in places ( countries) where there is no GPRS data service
    without GPRS not even web would work as you all would appreciate

any thought how to overcome this.?
    Push aint gonna do squat for ya on plane as Treo radio must be off. What I do is upon arriving at airport terminal, I pop on Treo and tell it to collect mail. I then grab my gear, get off plane and by the time I find a seat to wait to board my connecting flight, or grab a cab, it's already for me. Same thing with train. I have it pull mail while standing in station and answer upon finding a seat.

I don't travel internationally so can't help ya on that end.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Nice, but..

I travel a lot and spend ammple time away from pc , mostly in airports and trains (not driving) so it would be nice to be able to get my mail wile waiting. the problem i have is getting my versamail to work in places (countries) where there is no GPRS data service without GPRS not even web would work as you all would appreciate any thought how to overcome this.?
    I think without data service u r screwed. What countries? Are you sure there is no data service? Cingular (and Sprint on the CDMA side) offer a "push" email solution. I say "push" in quotes because it involves running a program on a pc that is logged onto Cingular's xpressmail website. You configure Xpressmail to continuously poll your email inbox (usually a corporate email inbox) and forward new email to your treo. It works quite effectively - when it works. I have been in my office and recieved an email notification on my treo before the same email message appears on my corporate email desktop. BUT if you are away from your computer that is running the desktop application and the connection is broken to your corporate email box, you are SOL unless someone can reset the connection on your PC for you. What breaks the connection? Power outages that take the computer down. Virus scanning if it is not set properly. Holding your mouth the wrong way. The sun comes up in the morning.

I use this for now to pick up email while I am in Mexico on business.
    As I said, when it works it is great. But it can be a royal pain in the a$$ also. I am very interested in a Blackberry Connect client for the Treo since my IT department supports it.

One other thing - most IT departments will absolutely forbid an Xpressmail type of solution if they are aware of it.
    I dont know if that is possible,
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ight=sms+email
    Just call me Berd.
    This is WAY off topic, but on the flip side of the flip side someone could be attending one of these seminars, appearing to be perfectly attentive, all the while they're wondering what it would be like to be invisible and what they're going to do as soon as they leave. Just because someone doesn't APPEAR to be paying attention doesn't mean that they aren't, and vice versa. Some people are capable of multitasking.

Push email is great, but really unneccesary for the most part. And I actually respond to quite a bit of emails on my Treo. Do I NEED push? No, of course not. But I do enjoy it
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?