1.    #1  
    Has anyone talked about this??? I mean, it is rumored that Palm will have a new OS. It would make sense. RIMM wants to go mainstream and PALM upstream to the Enterprise. Is this in the works? Let me know what you think.
    Interesting...but I can think of about 613 million other things RIM is dealing with at the moment.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Hope it doesn't happen. I looked at the 8700g today at the T-Mo store. "Blark." (This is a quote from Odd Bodkins, an old comic strip, just to be sure that the literary reference does not get lost.) Functionality apparently the same as my old soon-to-be-retired 7230, especially lacking in the Department of PIM. If this is the best they can do at RIMM . . . .

On the other hand, if they turned over the "Front Office" stuff to Palm (wizardy little handsets) and left the "Back Office" stuff to RIMM (BB Connect and all that stuff) maybe we'd have a cool deal.
    Didnt RIMM just agree to a huge settlement? Where would they get the capital (and who would let them borrow it?)

RIMM is better off doing what they do pretty well...email.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    why would a vendor who is trying to put their technology on as many platforms as possible, buy a platform ??
  6.    #6  
    Ok, I don't know if you know, but RIMM had all but $116MM already in ESCROW when they settled. Plus, even though I am a Treo user since the 270 even I am ready to confirm that RIMM's platform is MUCH better. I also have an 8700c and guess what, my Treo crashes all the time and the 8700c never does... Lets admit the facts. IT would be good for Palm to get bought out by RIMM... :-)
    Well, they could get the capital by using their shares as consideration. It wouldn't be an issue at all (mkt cap of 14.2 billion) and they would still own ~83% of the combined company.

The issue here is strategy: does RIMM think they need another hardware creator under the same roof? I'm going to lean toward no, but who knows? Palm bought handspring which was just another hardware creator...
  8.    #8  
    Absolutely. It is amazing that after the settlement was announced their market cap went up about $2 billion! I think what the issue is consumer vs. enterprise. RIMM wants consumer to continue its growth and Palm needs the enterprise for the same reason. Plus I don't know if Palm can subsist on its own. Another idea is APPLE buying RIMM! What about that idea???? A Blackberry with a HDD and Itunes! HMMM!
    Quote Originally Posted by elmaldonado
    Absolutely. It is amazing that after the settlement was announced their market cap went up about $2 billion! I think what the issue is consumer vs. enterprise. RIMM wants consumer to continue its growth and Palm needs the enterprise for the same reason. Plus I don't know if Palm can subsist on its own. Another idea is APPLE buying RIMM! What about that idea???? A Blackberry with a HDD and Itunes! HMMM!
    Blackberry is primarily for Corp. and Govt. entities. I doubt iTunes integration would go over well.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Blackberry is primarily for Corp. and Govt. entities. I doubt iTunes integration would go over well.
    Well, that's the idea though. RIMM needs the consumer market if it is going to continue its growth pace... Anyway, it's just a thought...
    The treo can do every thing a blackberry can do and more.

BTW, My 650 doesnt crash all the time.

With the way other phone companies are intergrating blackberry connect, rimm will become more and more a software company.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    The treo can do every thing a blackberry can do and more.

BTW, My 650 doesnt crash all the time.

With the way other phone companies are intergrating blackberry connect, rimm will become more and more a software company.
    I don't hear Microsoft complaining about being a software company. The treo can do more than the blackberry, without a doubt, and BTW, I use and own them both (I have a 650, a 700w and an 8700c.) I pay $10 a month to use BES and I must tell you there's NOTHING (with the exception of GoodLink, which costs a lot more) like that on Treo, unfortunately. And I say unfortunately because if the treo had something similar, I would ONLY use the Treo! :-)
    elmaldonado, out of curiosity, where are you paying only $10 a month for BES?
  14.    #14  
    Link2Exchange. But that's the same with almost all of them. Of course you have to pay for the Exchange Server which I am paying $15/mo for 10GB of space!!!! So, for $25/Month I get virtually unlimited email space and I can add more users, but limited to 10GB, and BES! It rocks. I don't need any POP, AOL, MSN, etc. and the truth is I have fallen in love with Exchange/BES Combo! :-)
    Oh, ok. Hosted BES. Same as what I have seen for hosted GoodLink.
  16.    #16  
    I saw hosted GoodLink for $20. Where have you seen it for $10?