1.    #1  
    I've seen the "North American Dialing" option in "Dial Preferences"
    and am baffled by it.

What exactly does it do?
    Is it a CDMA - GSM thing?
    Do any other phones (other than a Treo) make a fuss about it?
    If not, how do the other phones handle it?
    Is it absolutely required for calling in the US?

(I've done the mandatory and cursory searches in these forums)

- mvk
    Game over!
    What exactly does it do?

It formats North American phone numbers in the contact list. Without it a number looks like:
    With: 202-555-1212. North Americans are used to this format. For historical reasons the first 3 digits are called area code and the remaining 7 the local number. Many big cities now have multiple area codes and even local calls require dialing all 10 digits.

If you live in a relatively small town you may be able to make local calls by dialing the last 7 digits. But if you roam to a different area you will need to add the area code before all the numbers from your home town. The second box automates this. The third box adds US country code for the rare occasions when the proverbial North American visit other continents.

Is it a CDMA - GSM thing?

Can't say anything about CDMA. My understanding is this feature is for those North Americans who mainly stay in their own small towns and occasionally may need to add area codes or country codes to their local numbers when they travel and call their folks at home.

Do any other phones (other than a Treo) make a fuss about it?
    If not, how do the other phones handle it?

Don't know.

Is it absolutely required for calling in the US?

It is not required. For GSM carriers in the US the goes through in any of the ways a number is entered:
    +12025551212
    2025551212 (not sure).

Personally I prefer the first and don't bother with checking unchecking boxes.

Hope that helps.
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
    if you notice that when you check it - you get 2 options - to add a certian area code in front of a 7 digit number and/or to add a "1" in front of an area code. If you uncheck that box, those options go away.

I could see how the first option could be of use if you, say, always wanted your phone to dial your local area code no matter where you were.

(oops, I was not quick enough!)