Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Good article (at least for us who like the Treo):

http://ptech.wsj.com/solution.html

He looks at the 6700 at Sprint and T-Mobile's version vs the Treo
    I generally agree with Walt's assessments, but he betrays some of his lack of familiarity with WM. Case in point: deleting emails. He bemoans the requirement of "multiple clicks" to do so, but in reality, an email can be deleted from the Pocket Outlook list by clicking and holding, and clicking "down" once to select delete. To me, it's not so bad. I have found WM2003 to be much more powerful and much more stable than POS. Most functions work well out of the box and don't require additional programs. Yes, the "one-handedness" is not quite as good as that of POS, but I have to ask, what is it you guys are doing with the other hand???
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    thank you, this is an interesting article. I am considering the 6700 on Sprint. I have a fear that the treo 700P will not be able to fully take advantage of EVDO speeds. My next device MUST offer a substancially improved web experience over then 650.
    The great thing about Walt is that he is just ignorant enough to see things from a normal consumer's point of view. Either that, or he's a great actor.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    thank you, this is an interesting article. I am considering the 6700 on Sprint. I have a fear that the treo 700P will not be able to fully take advantage of EVDO speeds. My next device MUST offer a substancially improved web experience over then 650.
    Ink - I am w/Sprint also and wrestled w/the 650 vs the 6700 thing for a while. I really did want EVDO and almost bought a 6700 for that and WiFi. However, at the end of the day, I just liked the look/feel of the Treo and the POS vs. the "brick". Also, I just did not feel that keyboard was going to hold up for long - not that anyone or anything has proved me right or wrong on that yet. I decided to go ahead and buy a 650 this year and wait until next year to see how things progress - particularly with EVDO Rev. A coming out later this year/early next.

Wait another month and see what the 700p truely offers. The 6700 is only going to get cheaper until then!
    Yeah, seems like the reason the article was one-sided was the lack of knowledge of WM5. I had the same impressions when I first got the Cingular 8125 (pretty similar to MDA) because WM5 was completely new to me. After using it a couple weeks I can navigate around the device just as well as POS. Then it comes down to hardware features which is why I stuck with the 8125 and haven't looked back.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    The great thing about Walt is that he is just ignorant enough to see things from a normal consumer's point of view. Either that, or he's a great actor.
    At least (for Perry's sake) he seemed to confirm a 700p for Sprint. Walt's reviews have gotten to be more like a "lick and a promise" as my grandmother used to say. As Dalai Lama pointed out, some criticisms just prove the lack of knowledge of the device. The whole discussion of EVDO v. EDGE is a non sequitur, because EDGE is the analog to Sprint Vision, not EVDO. As everyone knows, HSDPA is the analog to EVDO, and Cingular is running behind Verizon and Sprint in deployment. But it is a straw man argument, just like comparing Vision's "speed" to poky GPRS three years ago.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    There are so many rumor threads and even more speculation but Walt Mossberg probably already is testing out the next Palm OS Treo - and I bet he loves it. Read his bashing of the newest Windows Smartphones and check out his hint about the next Treo.

"and the forthcoming new Palm-based Treo, . . . works on an (Sprints) EV-DO network"

Check Walt's Column
    http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20060412.html
    Thank you for searching before posting
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 04/13/2006 at 12:11 AM. Reason: link removed after merged as it points this same thread
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Get a life spunky
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    I generally agree with Walt's assessments, but he betrays some of his lack of familiarity with WM. Case in point: deleting emails. He bemoans the requirement of "multiple clicks" to do so, but in reality, an email can be deleted from the Pocket Outlook list by clicking and holding, and clicking "down" once to select delete.
    How is what you described not multiple clicks?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by kvsnut
    Get a life spunky
    Welcome to the forum, all we ask is that you follow a few simple rules...

Before you post a question, please do a search to see if it's been answered before. We are a very active bunch and the odds are high that the question has been asked and answered before.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=64440
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    How is what you described not multiple clicks?
    Microsoft Math?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhh....

teH Mean Ol' Munk hurt someones feelings...

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    OK, call it a click and a half. Or two clicks. Whatever. The point is that WM just isn't that much more onerous once you get used to it.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    this guy mossberg is a grade A treo pole-smoker.

I like the 650 too, but this guys outta hand. the article references the treo countless times in an article that's supposed to be about wm5 phones. they must have pictures........
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    this guy mossberg is a grade A treo pole-smoker.

I like the 650 too, but this guys outta hand. the article references the treo countless times in an article that's supposed to be about wm5 phones. they must have pictures........
    Considering he's comparing the phones to the 650, what would you suggest he mention instead of the Treo? A Sidekick?

Talk to Dutchtrumpet...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Another first time poster with the only news report of an article by a NYT writer...WOW!!! Quit picking on Mr Short Bus.
    I think we need a thread to figure out which poster on here is Walt.

hmmmm, Perry? Jimmie (Promote your website here) Geddess? Dr Doom? Bekka?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast