Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Since couple days ago I've been getting numerous calls from this number. The caller Id says 0000000000. They call me 12 times a day every morning and once I picked up and said it was someone from Chase Bank. They told me I had a payment due and I told them I would pay online. However they kept interupting me and told me they wouldnt charge if I paid through the phone or whatever. I'm thinking its a fraud, how can I get them to stop calling me? I've been ignoring them forever they just wont stop.
    Best thing to do, especially if you suspect some sort of fraud, is take this up with your cell provider.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    It's definitely sounds like a scam!! Ask your cell provider to trace and block the number. They are trying to get your CC and SS number, I bet!

I have been getting emails from "Chase" claiming I need to verify my account. Guess what? I have NO ACCOUNT with them yet! LOL!! Phishing bastards!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    It's definitely sounds like a scam!! Ask your cell provider to trace and block the number. They are trying to get your CC and SS number, I bet!

I have been getting emails from "Chase" claiming I need to verify my account. Guess what? I have NO ACCOUNT with them yet! LOL!! Phishing bastards!
    A cell provider can not stop these calls if you don't know where they are coming from. Essentially there is nothing to stop because they obviously are either blocking their caller id or have a system malfunction. Also this may be an issue with your cell carrier not recognizing the caller ID. Maybe it is Chase and they are legitimately trying to collect payment. If you feel it is in error you need to file a written formal complaint with Chase within 90 days and they have to give you an explaination. Your credit card has a toll free number on the back for you to call. Ask them if this is legit. they can pull up your number and check.
    Why not assign this number to a silence ring tone and ignore it.

It's pretty easy to find out if its fraud, just tell them you don't have a Chase account.
    Why would the real Chase reject an online payment? A payment is a payment. Is it because when he logs into his account, he'll realize it's a SCAM and he owes nothing?

I believe you can get a detailed bill of all calls, both in and outgoing. You might be able to tell from that what number they've been calling from. I find it a little hard to believe the cell company can't do anything to trace calls, when they can tell you what tower you're near when YOU make and receive calls(and it's scary they keeps tabs that much).

As a last resort, change your number and give it out to only your contacts.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Why would the real Chase reject an online payment? A payment is a payment. Is it because when he logs into his account, he'll realize it's a SCAM and he owes nothing?

I believe you can get a detailed bill of all calls, both in and outgoing. You might be able to tell from that what number they've been calling from. I find it a little hard to believe the cell company can't do anything to trace calls, when they can tell you what tower you're near when YOU make and receive calls(and it's scary they keeps tabs that much).

As a last resort, change your number and give it out to only your contacts.
    Absolutely. DON'T pay those clowns over the phone. You're going to get taken. They're blocking their(real) number and you think they might still be legit? If they want your money, an online payment is just as good as any other kind.

I almost got taken about 6 months ago by a site called 'MobileWorld' who were advertising the Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop(*drool*) for only a grand. The site looked completley legit, and even had a 'certified by CNET' logo at the bottom(among others). At the time I had lost my credit card and was waiting for a new one in the mail. I emailed them about my situation and asked them how long the deal would be available. They emailed me back that it would only be valid for a few more days, and suggested that I Western Union them the scrilla. Right before I left to send them the Western Union, I noticed that their URL was actually www.mobilewolrd.net(notice the incorrect spelling). That piqued my interest a little, so I clicked on the 'certified by CNET' logo and was taken to CNET's HOMEPAGE. So basically, they just copied & pasted it there to look legit. My significant other(at the time) was also inquiring about the deal when they told her that they couldn't accept credit cards from people in Europe at the time(!), and once again suggested Western Union. First of all, it doesn't matter where you are. That's kinda the whole point of the thing. Secondly, how the hell did they know where she was? She didn't tell them. Oh, and get this - the addy they wanted me to send the Western Union to was in New Zealand(where they claimed to operate out of), but after doing a little sniffing, I traced their emails as coming from NYC. I emailed them and told them I was on to their scheme, and that if they wanted me to shut up they should send me a Ferrai. Then, I reported them to Western Union's fraud department, who took all the info and urged me to call the FBI and my Attorney General(among others). I didn't do so, however. Then about a week later, I got a call from some guy claiming to be from the Secret Service. Yes, that's right, the Secret Friggin' Service. He was asking lots of questions about the situation, and was VERY interested in knowing who else I had told about it. Also, when ending the call, he said "well, if you have any questions don't hesitate to give us a call here at the Secre-ermm...FBI" . And now that I think about it, his number ALSO was a 000000000 number! I realized after getting off the phone that I was actually talking to the scammers(I wish I had realized this DURING the call. D'oh!), because why the hell would the SECRET SERVICE call me about an internet scam(a question he seemed to ask himself at the end of the call as well), and why would he be SO interested in knowing who I had talked to. I never followed up on it. I don't even know how they got my cell number.

And more recently, I got an email from Amazon.com claiming that they were having problems with their databases(or something like that), and that I needed to re-enter my info(including CC number) to fix my account, but I didn't even have an account with Amazon, nor had I ever. It was a phishing attempt(and this is another reason why I like Gmail so much - it flagged the email as a possible phishing attack even before I opened it). Bah! Who the hell are these people!? I hope they all choke on their own vomit and die

Sorry this was so long! Just had to vent!
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    ...Then about a week later, I got a call from some guy claiming to be from the Secret Service. Yes, that's right, the Secret Friggin' Service. He was asking lots of questions about the situation, and was VERY interested in knowing who else I had told about it. Also, when ending the call, he said "well, if you have any questions don't hesitate to give us a call here at the Secre-ermm...FBI" . And now that I think about it, his number ALSO was a 000000000 number! I realized after getting off the phone that I was actually talking to the scammers(I wish I had realized this DURING the call. D'oh!), because why the hell would the SECRET SERVICE call me about an internet scam(a question he seemed to ask himself at the end of the call as well), and why would he be SO interested in knowing who I had talked to. I never followed up on it. I don't even know how they got my cell number...
    The US Secret Service is the investigating body for electronic financial fraud in the US. I belive the Secret Service become more involved after the events of 9/11. About 2 years ago I was the victim of an eBay scam. The seller who ripped me off was located in NYC, so in addition to reporting the seller to eBay, I also reported him to the NYC Better Business Bureau. Within weeks I was contacted by the USSS regarding my eBay issue. The agent I was dealing with gave me routine updates as to how the investigation was going. They did eventually bust the seller, who was tried and convicted and is serving time. The last update I got from the USSS was about 8 months ago, advising me of the conviction as well as informing me part of the sellers sentence involved restitution to eveyone he ripped off. I am not holding my breath to get my money back though.

My involvement with the USSS was all due to a $80 eBay purchase that went bad. If someone tries to screw you, FIGHT BACK.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    I agree.
    Anyone who encounters these guys has an obligation to make it stop there.

"Phishing is Bad, and Wrong.. I think there should be a new word to describe it.
    I'll call it Badong. Phishing is Badong!"
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    The US Secret Service is the investigating body for electronic financial fraud in the US. I belive the Secret Service become more involved after the events of 9/11. About 2 years ago I was the victim of an eBay scam. The seller who ripped me off was located in NYC, so in addition to reporting the seller to eBay, I also reported him to the NYC Better Business Bureau. Within weeks I was contacted by the USSS regarding my eBay issue. The agent I was dealing with gave me routine updates as to how the investigation was going. They did eventually bust the seller, who was tried and convicted and is serving time. The last update I got from the USSS was about 8 months ago, advising me of the conviction as well as informing me part of the sellers sentence involved restitution to eveyone he ripped off. I am not holding my breath to get my money back though.

My involvement with the USSS was all due to a $80 eBay purchase that went bad. If someone tries to screw you, FIGHT BACK.

Wow, so maybe that guy was legit after all then. I dunno, I just didn't think an internet scam would be in the Secret Service's jurisdiction. Yeah, someone tried to screw me, and I've learned from that little almost-mistake(I woulda been out over a grand), but fighting back any further than I did would've just been a waste of time.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by redbelt
    "Phishing is Bad, and Wrong.. I think there should be a new word to describe it.
    I'll call it Badong. Phishing is Badong!"
    ARGH...I recognize that from SOMEWHERE but I can't remember where! What's it from! It's driving me CRAZY!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    ARGH...I recognize that from SOMEWHERE but I can't remember where! What's it from! It's driving me CRAZY!

I think I'll let you simmer a bit before I tell you. How many days would you like to wait? would you say, 10 million?

I think I'll let you simmer a bit before I tell you. How many days would you like to wait? would you say, 10 million?
    If you aren't going to tell me then just shut the hell up Hahaha
    Come on, that was totally Steve Odekerk in kung Pow, even the 10 million bit!
    "Oh THATS what he meant..."
    Come on, that was totally Steve Odekerk in kung Pow, even the 10 million bit!
    "Oh THATS what he meant..."
    Damn it! One of my faves, too!

"From now on...you shall all refer to me...by the name...BETTY, NYA-HA-NYA!"
    Yes it's a scam. If they really need to talk to you that badly ask for their direct line and name to call them back. I bet they hang-up.
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    Did they start out to say they were the SS and then end saying they were the FBI?

Anyways.....just an FYI.....The Secret Service, which is now part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, was actually started in 1865 to serve and protect the money of the US against rampant counterfeiting. Additionally, they currently investigate credit card fraud, computer fraud and financial institution fraud.

Not until several decades later did it start become one of the premier law enforcement organizations charged with additional responsibilities such as the protection of the nationís leaders, visiting foreign dignitaries and events of national significance.....which has now grown in many other areas of responsibilities.

The Secret Service has taken a lead role in the developing area of cyber crime, establishing working partnerships in both the law enforcement and business communities to address such issues as protection of critical infrastructure, internet intrusions and associated fraud.

The Secret Service investigates a wide array of criminal misuses of electronic technology, from unauthorized computer access to credit card fraud, to cellular and land line telephone service tampering, the production of false identification, counterfeit currency, threats made against the President, narcotics, illegal firearms trafficking and even homicides.

The National Threat Assessment Center was created by the Secret Service in 2000 to provide leadership and guidance to the emerging field of threat assessment. Two previous NTAC studies, the Exceptional Case Study Project and the Safe School Initiative, analyzed physical attacks on public officials and public figures and attacks on schools. Both studies focused on identifying information that was operationally relevant and that could help prevent future violent or disruptive incidents. Findings from the Insider Threat Study may similarly enhance efforts within law enforcement, corporate security, and others in prevention, early detection, and investigation of cyber-related crimes.
    This thread over at sprintusers forum might help: http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95548
    Anyone with caller ID of 0000000000 is a SCAMMING THIEF.
    They fake their caller ID.

These scams are run out of sweatshops in India and other countries where this activity is condoned as a normal business pursuit.

They do this for phishing for credit card info, trying to transfer domain names, and other nefarious activities that deserve to be punished by chopping off the body part of your chosing.

I usually have fun with them, and try to get as much information from them as possible....I'll give them fake cc: number, and watch them say "thank you, the payment is complete. (and of course, my fake address and other info).

That, or I start on the "you do something for me" route. When they ask for the fax number, I ask "if I give you that, can I eat curry off your naked body? You sound very attractive, and you must be very intelligent to be working for Acme Co., and that really turns me on....do you have sister?" That sort of thing.

Or fake a "happy ending" while on the phone..."please keep talking...can you repeat what you said..."oh, your voice is so sexy...can you say that again? Again...again....unhhhhhhh!!!!!!! oh, that was great baby....oh....now what do you want? Oh sure, he's my credit card number...."

It is amazing how long they stay on the phone.

Sometimes I fake being deaf, just to exasperate them. Or ask them, "have you seen the movie Ghandi?"

Another line that works wonders is "If I have a rupee for every time on of you monsoon monkey-boys called me, I'd have enough to buy some English lessons."

The opportunities are endless...and the longer they stay on the line without getting the info, the longer they get beaten with a shoe by their handler for wasting phone time.
    nice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast