View Poll Results: What OS should Hollywood Run?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm OS

108 63.53%
  • Windows Mobile 5

45 26.47%
  • Both, using Palm BootCamp( just kidding)

17 10.00%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by awggie
    using a smartphone camera (it's all i have to use)... so focusing is difficult.

here are a couple more:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...gie/img002.jpg
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...gie/img003.jpg

that and, if it were more focused, you could read the engraved serial number at the top... which could really get me in trouble.
    So that's it huh? That's the 700W for Cingular. I suppose we're looking for somewhat similar design and functionality for the 700P on CDMA carriers?

I like how it looks. It does look like a Blackberry. Perhaps Palm took styling cues from the Blackberry just like auto manufacturers do from time to time.

Getting more excited here....I do hope whatever Palm puts out for CDMA networks is similar to awggie's pics.

I'm ready, bring it on Sprint!!!

j...
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I just hope the new 700p is really worth it...if I plank down $400 on this thing I sure as hell want to feel like it was a significant improvement over the 650. Plus, they need to hurry up...so that when I buy the 700p I can still eBay my 650 for a decent price. HAHAHAHAHA
    Quote Originally Posted by jkiper
    So that's it huh? That's the 700W for Cingular. I suppose we're looking for somewhat similar design and functionality for the 700P on CDMA carriers?

I like how it looks. It does look like a Blackberry. Perhaps Palm took styling cues from the Blackberry just like auto manufacturers do from time to time.

Getting more excited here....I do hope whatever Palm puts out for CDMA networks is similar to awggie's pics.

I'm ready, bring it on Sprint!!!

j...

Sorry J -- all the info to date points to the 700P and 700W as having the same form factor -- just some button use differences and the 700P having the 320x320 screen vs. the 240x240.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    I just hope the new 700p is really worth it...if I plank down $400 on this thing I sure as hell want to feel like it was a significant improvement over the 650. Plus, they need to hurry up...so that when I buy the 700p I can still eBay my 650 for a decent price. HAHAHAHAHA
    You'll plunk down more than $400 for sure. You might be able to wrangle a credit from a service provider, but for that you sign your life away.
    Props out for the pix of this thing. I know it was a risk and I for one appreciate it. It's nice to know that Palm is finally listening to us about losing the external antennae. I have been a big fan of Palm OS but don't think WM5 is that bad, although not as "one hand intuitive" as Palm OS. Personally, with all that MS is doing to catch up I think Palm better kick it in gear quick with the OS thing because the masses are used to multi-tasking with their home pc's as am I and with Cingulars UMTS I can multi-task being on the net, talking, emailing, texting, using documents, anything I want (virtually, as long as there is enough memory) and I cannot do that with Palm OS. I have been waiting for this phone for as long as I can remember. Broadband connection speed while being able to use the phone AND all the function and form factor of the Treo. I'm there! I don't care how much it costs. Sign me up!

By the way, has anyone noticed that the keyboard is now black with white lettering instead of the opposite? An improvement in my opinion.

I wish they would include a flash for the camera though.

I hope this thing comes out soon!
    OK, let me put it another way. This thing has more in common with the 700w (OS, screen res) than the 700w has in common with the 700p. So I don't see how the 700p and 700w can share the same base model # but this would get a new unique model # just because it's got no antenna and is colored differently.

As for slight thickness/weight differences, that too could be attributed to GSM vs CDMA. See past Treos for evidence of that.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by braincell
    Props out for the pix of this thing. I know it was a risk and I for one appreciate it. It's nice to know that Palm is finally listening to us about losing the external antennae. I have been a big fan of Palm OS but don't think WM5 is that bad, although not as "one hand intuitive" as Palm OS. Personally, with all that MS is doing to catch up I think Palm better kick it in gear quick with the OS thing because the masses are used to multi-tasking with their home pc's as am I and with Cingulars UMTS I can multi-task being on the net, talking, emailing, texting, using documents, anything I want (virtually, as long as there is enough memory) and I cannot do that with Palm OS. I have been waiting for this phone for as long as I can remember. Broadband connection speed while being able to use the phone AND all the function and form factor of the Treo. I'm there! I don't care how much it costs. Sign me up!

By the way, has anyone noticed that the keyboard is now black with white lettering instead of the opposite? An improvement in my opinion.

I noticed the keyboard (post #123). I want to see side by side pics, Awggie uses a 700W so it should be easy enough to get those out.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    With Amazon selling new Treo 650's for under $100 I don't see a huge market for used "out of warranty" Treos once that 700p gets officially announced:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110216
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    With Amazon selling new Treo 650's for under $100 I don't see a huge market for used "out of warranty" Treos once that 700p gets officially announced:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110216
    I don't know Jack, by the time a 700P is released the Treo 650 may have quite a value on the Antiques Roadshow, or maybe one of the museums might want to put one on display as ancient technology.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    OK, well if this is legit, here's my 2 cents...this isn't really a new model IMO, but merely the GSM version of the 700, which allows it to drop the antenna. So those of you who want a CDMA version of this phone? It's already out and it's called the Verizon Treo 700w. Want CDMA and no antenna? Too bad.
    Of course, it is "too bad" if we want a CDMA version of "Holywood" with a Palm OS and Palm doesn't release one. The point is that we all have ideas around the ideal device for our uses. For me, "Hollywood" with a Palm OS on CDMA with the speculated specs of the 700P is closer to that device.

Many Treo loyalists believe that the improvements to the devices from one to the next are too minor. My issue is that I see Hollywood's form factor as a positive and much better than the 700W. IF Palm decides to release a CDMA "Holywood" a year after the release of a 700P with the 700W form factor then I'm done. I would view that as an ultimate slap in the face.

All this assumes:

1) That "Hollywood" and the 700P exist.
    2) That the devices above have the speculated form factor.
    3) That Palm plans to release Hollywood to CDMA.
    4) Hollywood runs Palm OS with specs at least as good as the speculated 700P.

If there are technical limitations to CDMA that prevent Palm making Hollywood I would love to know that there are no plans to bring the device to CDMA. To a layperson (non-tech) it would appear that GSM is getting the "better" device shortly after CDMA gets a "new" device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    OK, let me put it another way. This thing has more in common with the 700w (OS, screen res) than the 700w has in common with the 700p. So I don't see how the 700p and 700w can share the same base model # but this would get a new unique model # just because it's got no antenna and is colored differently.
    Base model number will be determined by what parts ya can screw into the chasis. Different form factor requires new model designation as parts from one won't do into the other.

As for slight thickness/weight differences, that too could be attributed to GSM vs CDMA. See past Treos for evidence of that.
    According to Amazon:

Cingular 650 6.2
    Sprint 650 6.2
    verison 650 6.3

As for size, all 650's have same dimensions and you can readily swap parts between them...of course swapping things like the radio will have you trying to connect to different network.
    It doesn't matter how old it is. It matters how much it will sell on ebay.

If the depreciation is low, then it's a good investment.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Wow... people dont want a new device that is better than one currently on the market so soon after it is released???

I say bring em on... as soon as possible... I seem to upgrade my phone every 6 months anyways.
    wasn't brighthand the one with the treo 610 release in March of 2004 stories?

not that I believe or don't believe the story but the lost me with that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by braincell

The ability to talk on the phone and browse the web is a limitation of EVDO. It has nothing to do with Palm's operating system currently. Now if at some future point EVDO does allow for both browsing and phone talk, the non-multitasking Palm OS may impeed upon this. However, since the devices aren't capable because of network limitations, we don't know exactly whether or not the Palm OS would allow for something like this. (Certain MP3 programs can run in the background, so the phone app might be able to as well if reworked)

At least, that's how I see it.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    The next revision of EVDO WILL allow voice and data at the same time.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The next revision of EVDO WILL allow voice and data at the same time.

Surur
    Are we talking about Rev. A or Rev. B? I remember reading something a while about about that, and you just reminded me, but I can't remember what Rev. it was. Also, Treo hardware would have to be capable of working with these revisions as well. We can only hope that Palm planned ahead with that. As with everything, in time we shall see, and hope Palm doesn't further disappoint us.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobie10
    well, whether its called hollywood or anything else, Palm SHOULD release a GSM model equivalent to the 700 P/W sometime this year. And if they plan on selling in the European market, then 3G is probably a smart thing to put in to get in on the carriers' good side..

..is this post 6 for me?
    Quote from link:

So what of the photos that appear to depict a new Treo with a thinner design and 3G GSM? Currently unknown, but if the photos do turn out to be legitimate, this may simply be a slightly redesigned GSM counterpart to the Treo 700w that's currently available on Verizon Wireless.

The 700W for GSM? Time will tell . . . . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast