View Poll Results: What OS should Hollywood Run?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm OS

108 63.53%
  • Windows Mobile 5

45 26.47%
  • Both, using Palm BootCamp( just kidding)

17 10.00%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Yes, the "street job". The biggest criticism was that it looked identical to a Treo 650 with its antenna lobbed off. We now know the Palm idustrial designers have been fired (just look at the Tx, its identical to the T5) so I am now much less convinced by the old arguments.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    More on topic...

I was interested in Hollywood, but by the looks of those pictures, it's a 650 with the antennae pulled. I may be slimmer, but where's the glitz like the ultra-thin Samsung i320 or Moto Q? And again, no WiFi (big surprise there).

Why would anyone put WiFi on these pdaphones? Wouldn't that eliminate the need to pay for access to the internet through Sprint's Vision Network?

j...
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi Scott R !!

You say poe ta toe
    I say pa tah toe

Do I think it is legit? Yes, for the very reason you think it lacks creativity. I want a PDA combined with a phone. Any smaller and you lose the PDAness. The Treo has always been about compromises between size, power, battery life, function (phone vs. PDA) et cetera. Thinner? When they come up with a 12 hour Lithium Ion battery the size of a cheez-it, then maybe we can go there. Palm has always stressed function over pretty -- and you now line up the 700W, 700P rumors/pics, and now these Hollywood rumor/pics and you see consistent thinking in form and function on three sibling products. Fuzzy pictures and all, they screamed "legit" because of how it fit with what we think we know.

Cheers, Perry.
    I said it before and with pics like these of the Hollywood the 700P is old hat already. If Palm was that close to a smaller, thinner design then why the same old form factor with the 700P?
    Quote Originally Posted by jkiper
    Why would anyone put WiFi on these pdaphones? Wouldn't that eliminate the need to pay for access to the internet through Sprint's Vision Network?
    The 'We didn't get where we are today by giving the customer what he wants' approach?

If you're right, how did the PPC-6700 slip throught the net?
    Gee Arch - sorry I didn't give you the requisite props. However, we were talking about the topic of this thread (what OS should it have),,,
    Yeh, and I inturn mentioned a post of mine in which I specifically heard Andy Brown of Palm Inc. say that the Hollywood would only have Windows Mobile.
    and, you've had one on your desk for some time now...

and, you told another user in the 8125 streaming problem thread you were a tester with Microsoft...

so, maybe, just maybe, you had a little bit of an advantage, and not just a clairvoyant moment?
    ???
    ???
    ???
    I have never owned a Microsoft product.
    I have never beta tested a Microsoft product.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I said it before and with pics like these of the Hollywood the 700P is old hat already. If Palm was that close to a smaller, thinner design then why the same old form factor with the 700P?
    I agree. Frankly, I was holding my 600 and skipping the 650 so I could buy a 700P. I love the design of this Hollywood and may now buy the 650 and wait for the better form factor to be released on CDMA. I've lasted this long with the 600 so I would think I could wait a year or two for a slimmer antenna-less Palm OS Treo on CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami
    I agree. Frankly, I was holding my 600 and skipping the 650 so I could buy a 700P. I love the design of this Hollywood and may now buy the 650 and wait for the better form factor to be released on CDMA. I've lasted this long with the 600 so I would think I could wait a year or two for a slimmer antenna-less Palm OS Treo on CDMA.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=94

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I would guess that the massess (read: not the posters on TC) would prefer a slimmer device without an antenna. It would seem to me that releasing a device with a "better" form factor, even if it is on a different network, shortly after releasing a device with the "old" body is a great way to upset people.

Can you imagine Palm releasing the 700P with the 700W form factor then releasing the "Hollywood" on CDMA a year later without significant upgrades to software or hardware?!?!!? Talk about raping your loyal customers!!!

Rut Roh.....I'm thinking about WM devices again. I would be happier if I KNEW that Palm was going to release Hollywood (for any network) 2 years from now.
    Ok, now it makes sense I would bet Blue Bell is real and is most likely "Lowrider" "Hollywood" is a better form factor and a better working phone. The advantage for both is that Palm doesn't have to futz around with a whole new set of components for the innards and re-jigger their supply chain with new components suppliers. While at the sametime driving lower component pricing through volume. Cheaper faster and a little better. Perhaps saving the magic unicorn for Perry's 900p.
    or
    I'm guessing the next revolution comes in the 1000p or (Pilot 1000 Next Generation)!

I want it now on GSM!
    Every program has (at least) two purposes: the one for which it was written and another for which it wasn't. Alan J. Perlis

I have been a PDA/Smartphone (Palm Pilot 1000) owner since the palm us robotics days and have been waiting for convergence until the Treo 650 delivered on the promise. Now I am patiently waiting on the next generation to put a deposit in the bank. Gawd knows I put alot of coin in Palm's coffers.
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami
    It would seem to me that releasing a device with a "better" form factor, even if it is on a different network, shortly after releasing a device with the "old" body is a great way to upset people.

OK, well if this is legit, here's my 2 cents...this isn't really a new model IMO, but merely the GSM version of the 700, which allows it to drop the antenna. So those of you who want a CDMA version of this phone? It's already out and it's called the Verizon Treo 700w. Want CDMA and no antenna? Too bad.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Is there a bigger technical advantage to having an external antenna on a CDMA phone? Something must explain why HTC put that big lump on top of the Apache (PPC-6700), but not the GSM equivalent (Wizard)...
    Is there a bigger technical advantage to having an external antenna on a CDMA phone? Something must explain why HTC put that big lump on top of the Apache (PPC-6700), but not the GSM equivalent (Wizard)...
    It was asked for by the carriers, there is some advantage with analog systems, but not always teh case with digital ones (lest they are some microwave types - pumping out a ton of radiation)
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Good question - I have often wondered the same thing. Hope someone can shed some light on that.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    OK, well if this is legit, here's my 2 cents...this isn't really a new model IMO, but merely the GSM version of the 700, which allows it to drop the antenna. So those of you who want a CDMA version of this phone? It's already out and it's called the Verizon Treo 700w. Want CDMA and no antenna? Too bad.
    ScottR, Good point.
    However, there is a WORLD of difference functionally between the Hollywood and 700w. Namely, an additional 32 MB of RAM. Hollywood will run all WM apps, the 700w does not. (Unless Sprint bullies Palm into 64 MB on their version of the w)
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R

It's also a 1/3 less in thickness and possibility lighter in weight, that's a new model IMO.
    So it's a thinner 700w? That's a mega meh to me.

I can't get over how ugly it is. (It's fine for the 700w/p to be ugly since most CDMA phones are ugly. But the 3g world phone market is very competitive.)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    So it's a thinner 700w? That's a mega meh to me.

I can't get over how ugly it is. (It's fine for the 700w/p to be ugly since most CDMA phones are ugly. But the 3g world phone market is very competitive.)
    Kinda hard to determine the ugliness/beauty of the device when you look at out of focus pics. The one angle makes it look like a BB, but the straight on shot looks more like a treo. Not sure why the big piece of plastic is covering the screen. There is no logo, just the palm on the upper corner and treo between screen and keyboard, so who knows what color cingular will make it. The keys are opposite colors from the cing 650 (numbers lighter than letters).
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    I wish Palm/Cingular would hurry up and demand that the pics are pulled so we know that it's real!

(Should I have said that?)
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Yeh, and I inturn mentioned a post of mine in which I specifically heard Andy Brown of Palm Inc. say that the Hollywood would only have Windows Mobile.
    ???
    ???
    ???
    I have never owned a Microsoft product.
    I have never beta tested a Microsoft product.
    Sorry - my sincerest apologies - lack of sleep got me confused with another member.

Props all around for calling it first.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.