1.    #1  
    Okay what should I do...My contract with Cingular expired in February of this year. I want a new phone already and I definitely want to stay with Cingular. Palm isn't giving ANY information regarding a Treo 700 or Treo Hollywood for Cingular and nobody really knows anything. What do you guys think I should do? What do people think of the Cingular 8125? Is there another phone I should be looking at to replace my Treo now? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I would recommend the Treo 650 if you are looking for a Treo. If not, you posted in the wrong forum.

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    yup, Treo 650 all the way!
    - Jeeman
    "Other Handhelds" forum. There are a couple of these threads happening there. Post #2 of this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=111537

matches my opinion.
  5.    #5  
    Lol I guess I forgot to mention that I am currently using a Treo 650. The phone has been great but it is getting outdated and my contracts expired in February. The reason I am posting on this board is because I want to know what other people who had the 650 switched to. Thanks.
    So why do you want to switch to something inferior? Just for the sake of switching?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    close your account, open a new one and buy a subsidized BRAND NEW treo, sell it on Ebay for a profit, then hold on to the cash and use it to puttward the next Treo...

...I should charge for advice like that....
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    So why do you want to switch to something inferior? Just for the sake of switching?
    Don't mean to sound rude or anything but the Treo 650 has become inferior to most other smartphones on the market. The phone does not have many features that are standard on today's smartphones including Wi-fi, good bluetooth implementation, a MP camera, and enough memory for programs to be stored on the internal memory.

Now I understand that the Treo has the best form factor but its lack of features are a huge drawback for me. There is also no news of a release of a new Treo on Cingular anytime soon or even at all. So to say that I would be switching to something inferior is just innacurate. The 8125 is a much more powerful device but I was asking if people think it is worth waiting it our for a new Treo on Cingular (that if is anything like the 700w on Sprint is still an inferior device) or just go ahead and purchase a new smartphone. Thanks.
    OK, now I'm intrigued. My wife and daughter have Cingular and it works well in our area, but I've stuck with Sprint until now hoping for EVDO for my PPC6600. EVDO is coming, but there won't be an upgrade for the 6600, so I have to think about switching phones. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare EDGE to EVDO?
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    First, this belongs to the other forum. But whatever.

Second, most of the announced "Treo Kilers" delay their releases, that's why people are not switching. Sony p990, m600, Nokia E61, Motorola Q, Fujitsu p800, etc etc. Let's not forget the phantom Apple iPhone. It looks like 700p may actually beat them to the market.

If you think the HTC 6700 is a better phone. Then by all means get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    OK, now I'm intrigued. My wife and daughter have Cingular and it works well in our area, but I've stuck with Sprint until now hoping for EVDO for my PPC6600. EVDO is coming, but there won't be an upgrade for the 6600, so I have to think about switching phones. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare EDGE to EVDO?
    I haven't seen EVDO in action, but I can tell you that EDGE isn't all that fast. It depends where you are and network traffic, signal strength, etc...I average around 100kbps. I'm sure EVDO is much faster. I mostly use wifi anyway so this doesn't concern me too much. EVDO has the advantage of simultaneous data and voice as well. Cingular's high speed network is UMTS/HSDPA which is experiencing a slower roll-out than EVDO but should be comparable to EVDO speed-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    I'm sure EVDO is much faster.
    Yes and it is a lot more expensive too!
    Yes, you should definitely get the phone that is best for you. Have you read the reviews? cnet.com rated the Treo 650 quite a bit higher.

14.    #14  
    The reviews were made when both devices FIRST came out. When the treo first came out it was a top of the line device. But at this point in time it simply lacks the features of other smartphones. I was however, surprised to see the mediocre review that the 8125 received. Guess I'll have to keep looking for my Treo replacement.
    Well, if you must have wifi, get a phone with wifi. Personally, I have no use for wifi, but different strokes. . . The camera and bluetooth work well for me, and I have plenty of storage space (10 MB free at the moment, not to mention my 1 GB SD card).

Speaking of preferences, I prefer a device that uses SD cards (not mini SD cards) because I have other devices that also use them.

I think the point of the reviews is how well the device works in the real world. If it is awkward to use or has a poor user interface, I don't need it, regardless of some whizbang new feature. Of course features play a part in the score, too. They use a bunch of different devices and compare them. You can try to explain away the Treo's high score if you want, but it doesn't change it. The Treo 650 has been the best smartphone for well over a year, which is an amazing feat nowadays, IMHO. I'm not going to change just because it isn't the newest model out there. I want the best, not necessarily the newest.

Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    Don't mean to sound rude or anything but the Treo 650 has become inferior to most other smartphones on the market. The phone does not have many features that are standard on today's smartphones including Wi-fi, good bluetooth implementation, a MP camera, and enough memory for programs to be stored on the internal memory.

Now I understand that the Treo has the best form factor but its lack of features are a huge drawback for me. There is also no news of a release of a new Treo on Cingular anytime soon or even at all.
    Features 'for features sake" aren't really features if you can't or won't use them. WiFi is a non issue if you don't have hot spots where you frequent. A better camera isn't useful if you don't use it. My BT works flawlessly and I have as much as 19MB free in memory depending on what I want to leave on the card that day. A camera phone is the equivalent of those throw away cardboard cameras, one should not attempt to take anything for "posterity" with a camera phone. The camera in the 8125 probably costs about $35...the sound system $15 ... the Treo 650 might be in the $25 / $12 category....if you want to do something of value with those things you have to expect to get what you pay for....a $35 camera and a $15 mp3 player.

What good are all these features if the form factor doesn't provide enough useability for me to use them when I need to ...like while driving ? Can I claim EVDO as being "worth it" if the carrier I am using provides no EVDO service in my area ? It;s not about how many features you provide, its about how many are provided that you use and how easy, conveniently and efficiently you can use them. I'll take a device that does 9 things very well over one that does 20 things moderately well any day. Do I go for the 4 wheel drive vehicle or one with a convertible top, air conditioning, 12 speaker stereo back seat DVD system, built in Sony playstation and all the other goodies ?

The single guy livng in Alaska picks one, the soccer mom in florida the other. It's all about what works for the individual not who can put the most items on a feature list. Or what's better .....a 2,000 pound rope that is smooth on the hands , resist rot, doesn't fray , coils easily or one which holds 2500 pounds and has none of those features. If lifting 2200 pounds is important to you, then it's not reallya choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84

Now I understand that the Treo has the best form factor but its lack of features are a huge drawback for me. There is also no news of a release of a new Treo on Cingular anytime soon or even at all. So to say that I would be switching to something inferior is just innacurate. The 8125 is a much more powerful device but I was asking if people think it is worth waiting it our for a new Treo on Cingular (that if is anything like the 700w on Sprint is still an inferior device) or just go ahead and purchase a new smartphone. Thanks.
    I think it would depend on THE CONSUMERS WANTS. Also, the we didnt know what is the TARGET MARKET of the treo developers. Every phone has its own edge from anything else. I myself as a college student and a guy that works for a huge company on the advertising side, my treo is the best. My company gave me a blackberry but i didnt want it. If your up to taking pics alot then get yourself something better.

As with the MP Camera issue, i think thats why Digital cameras are made, and i can rely on my SD card for most stuffs. I respect your thought though.
    Everyone I talk to about upgrading their smartphones says the same thing. "I'm getting a Treo." They're going to the Treo, not away from it. The sales numbers don't lie (too much).