Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know I can buy software from several sites, but most of it is a single app and given the number of apps that it seems most people are running, this could be a small fortune. where does everyone get their apps from? is there a package deal somewhere or a "ebay special" that has a lot of this stuff?

thanks
    Something to keep in mind. If you want support and updates from the developer, you have to pay, no way around that. If you don't worry about support and updates, I'm sure there are sites that will tell you how to crack the trial software. Some apps really are free from the developer though. Also, some developers do offer package deals.

What apps are you looking at?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    I don't now all of them right now, since I still need to see what apps are even available. But from what I have found so far.... ringpro ( to support mp3 ringers), butler, something for watching downloaded videos from the internet ( like short clips from some websites), a backup app, uninstaller app, something to turn off the keyboard leds and make volume increase possible, atari retro game pack, java enabler ( I found a link here somewhere for that one for free), maybe zlauncher ( need to find out more about it), the locker app for locking the everyday background apps into the rom, various games.

obviously I need ot get more info on what is possible to do with the treo and the apps, but this is a start.
    If you select Uninstall Manager, put it on first before anything else. I credit this tip to experienced Palm users. But I think it's because the software doesn't register anything that was installed before it was.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt
    I don't now all of them right now, since I still need to see what apps are even available. But from what I have found so far.... ringpro ( to support mp3 ringers), butler, something for watching downloaded videos from the internet ( like short clips from some websites), a backup app, uninstaller app, something to turn off the keyboard leds and make volume increase possible, atari retro game pack, java enabler ( I found a link here somewhere for that one for free), maybe zlauncher ( need to find out more about it), the locker app for locking the everyday background apps into the rom, various games.

obviously I need ot get more info on what is possible to do with the treo and the apps, but this is a start.
    TCPMP is the best media player for the palm platform. Zlauncher supports it as well, it's a free download that you can get here:
    http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/download

I'd pass on the Atari retro game pack if I were you. I bought it, but the controls suck, not worth the expense imo.

I run Zlauncher myself, it's a great launcher and includes a file manager and supports running software from your SD card to save space on your internal memory. It keeps a shortcut in RAM so apps on the card will still sync through the desktop conduit.

Filez is a great freeware file-manager, considered a must-have by many on this forum, myself included. Download it here:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...re&prodid=9992

Hope this helps.

LadyTreo is right, if you plan on using an uninstall manager, you should definately install that first. It works by monitoring the files created by each app that you install and allows you to cleanly uninstall them, including all the associated files. Only works for apps installed after it is, that's why you should install it first.

HP95LX--->Palm m130--->Palm Zire71--->Treo 700P --->Palm Pré

Start with this threads:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=82079

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=92676

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=102212

Is just a start. But you will find lots of good information.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I have never paid for any Palm software at all. If it isn't free, I just avoid it. There's tons of good free stuff out there.

Btw, I think TCPMP runs just fine from the SD card without a special launcher.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    OK.

1. please name a good free skinnable launcher that will move your apps to the SD card?
    2. free calender program that functions better than the built-in one?
    3. free security program?
    4. free back-up program?
    5. free uninstaller?
    6. free ringtone manager?

The catch is they cannot cause too many resets and don't keep giving you the pop-up window to register. And I'll definitely look into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    OK.

1. please name a good free skinnable launcher that will move your apps to the SD card?
    4. free back-up program?
    5. free uninstaller?

The catch is they cannot cause too many resets and don't keep giving you the pop-up window to register. And I'll definitely look into them.
    Getting something for free generallly (not always) means you are sacrificing some things. To some people, the money saved is worth the sacrificed "extra" features, such as the ability to skin an app.

That said, I buy some apps, use some free ones. Maybe you could elaborate on your needs a bit and we can offer suggestions.

1. The built-in launcher supports apps on the card. You can install them directly to the card via the hotsynch. Works for many people, i'm sure. I own both power run and zlauncher though.

2. Define "functions better". For many, the bilt-in calendar is just fine. I've tried datebook and agendus...too much overhead, I prefer simplicity. What features are missing that you *need*? Remember, want or prefer is different than need....which is the basic consideration in choosing freeware, IMO.

3. There is a security program included with the device. Granted, it's awful. What kind of security program do you need? What do you need it to do?

4. Hotsynch is a free backup program. You mean an SD backup program? There are some, for example: http://www.redfelineninja.dsl.pipex..../rfbackup.html

Again, depends upon your needs.

5. There is a free uninstall called destaller lite (I think...MTDN has it). I own uninstall mgr, but I've read that people like that free one. There are probably others as well.

6. Again, what do you need a ringtone manager to do? Many people are satisfied with the built-in abilities. I keep my Treo on vibrate 99% of the time, so this one is pointless to me. If you consider the ability to assign an mp3 to each caller in your address book, it's probably worth it for you to pay....but that sounds like a preference to me, more than a need.

It's all about perspective...good luck!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    1. I find that most peeps, myself in cluded wanna use categories, the built in launcher won't let ya do that. $15 is worth that convenience IMO.

2. I also found Agendus / datebook to be "too much". Time manager Pd (TMP) from Lil Red Spider OTOH, was "just right" for me...another $15.

3, I also use the bult in security program but like having Remote Lock to wipe the devcie via SMS...free w/ Treo Alarm.

4. Hotysnc leaves some stuff out and the convenience of a SD card backup which "does it all" and works when away from PC is important....another $15

5. I'm religious about Uninstall Manager .

6. I find ringtones on my top ten most annoying things list. If my devcie has two rings (one for known, one for unknownm and they sound like a phone I am happy.
    Lady Treo: I never stated that you would be happy running your Treo like I run mine. Feel free to spend as much money as you wish!

I use the built-in launcher. It runs many apps from the SD card just fine.

Built in calendar works fine for me.

There is one built in.

4. free back-up program?

There are many, besides the hotsync method. Check out Backup Pro, which is what I use.

5. free uninstaller?

Don't have one and never missed it, as far as I know.

Comes with the phone.

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

12.    #12  
    not to argue with those trying to help, but since I do like to play devils advocate....the whole cell phone is not a NEED it's a convenience. the world ran for a milenia without cell phones I think we would survive. aside from that yes I need my phone and I can't leave the house without it, or I feel naked.

Since I am going to hack the rom ( to run a 4gb sd) I want to be able to backup all my software as it is on the sd, and be able to uninstall an app to make sure it isn't the one causing the need for a reset.

the mp3 ringer, I don't want so many that I forget whcih song is for who, but the standard ringers are polyphonic and I am sick and tired of having cell phones that cost over $200 and can do every thing that my wifes $30 dollar motorola can do....except use an mp3 file as a ringer. She has a ringer that is fraggle rock, and one that is kid video, they sound just like a cd and all I had to do was cut out the section of the mp3 file that had the song section she wanted. I want that I my new phone.

I have heard people say that launching an app with zlauncher is quicker and from the sounds of it you can organize the apps better, if so I think I would use it.

I will have to play with the phone and see what oem stuff is fine and what needs to be removed ( custom rom).

I will try those links when I get more time and the phone in hand to actually be able to play with.

thanks
    Yes, it is all a matter of preference. You should choose what works best for you.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    1. The built-in launcher supports apps on the card. You can install them directly to the card via the hotsynch. Works for many people, i'm sure. I own both power run and zlauncher though. True but will it move them to the card directly from the device on an as needed basis? This is one reason I wanted another launcher. Another is the quick launch toolbars, is there one on the default launcher? I must have missed that if it does. I also like the default launcher, but just wanted more.
    2. Define "functions better". For many, the bilt-in calendar is just fine. I've tried datebook and agendus...too much overhead, I prefer simplicity. What features are missing that you *need*? Remember, want or prefer is different than need....which is the basic consideration in choosing freeware, IMO. The built-in calender gives me a headache the way you have to enter info for some reason. Maybe it's just me, but the bulit-in calender seems inefficient for someone who has to enter a lot of appointments. Plus I can enter travel info on Agendus if need be.

3. There is a security program included with the device. Granted, it's awful. What kind of security program do you need? What do you need it to do? Wipe all info on device and card if it's lost or stolen. Also remote lock. I didn't see that built-in.

4. Hotsynch is a free backup program. You mean an SD backup program? There are some, for example: http://www.redfelineninja.dsl.pipex..../rfbackup.html
    Scheduled back-ups to the card. I don't Hot Sync every day. There isn't always a need to.

Again, depends upon your needs.

5. There is a free uninstall called destaller lite (I think...MTDN has it). I own uninstall mgr, but I've read that people like that free one. There are probably others as well. Does it uninstall all the leftovers on both device and card? If it does, then I'll look at it

6. Again, what do you need a ringtone manager to do? Many people are satisfied with the built-in abilities. I keep my Treo on vibrate 99% of the time, so this one is pointless to me. If you consider the ability to assign an mp3 to each caller in your address book, it's probably worth it for you to pay....but that sounds like a preference to me, more than a need.Trust me, ringtone management is important if you get a lot of calls and need to decide if the person is important enough to talk to at a certain time. If you use your cell for mainly business, you need it!

It's all about perspective...good luck!
    You're right, but some of the basics aren't working for me. The only one thing I could probably do without is Zlauncher.

Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    1. I find that most peeps, myself in cluded wanna use categories, the built in launcher won't let ya do that. $15 is worth that convenience IMO. I saw that you can enter your own categories on the built-in. Go under "category" then "edit categories".

2. I also found Agendus / datebook to be "too much". Time manager Pd (TMP) from Lil Red Spider OTOH, was "just right" for me...another $15. I'll look into this.

3, I also use the bult in security program but like having Remote Lock to wipe the devcie via SMS...free w/ Treo Alarm.

4. Hotysnc leaves some stuff out and the convenience of a SD card backup which "does it all" and works when away from PC is important....another $15

5. I'm religious about Uninstall Manager .

6. I find ringtones on my top ten most annoying things list. If my devcie has two rings (one for known, one for unknownm and they sound like a phone I am happy. Ever have a pest who can't seem to figure anything out call you and you pick up the phone because of habit, then have to deal with them? An assigned ringtone will tell you who this is and you can ignore the call. I also wish there were software to bar calls from some people!
    3, 4 and 5 I agree with!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo

1. I saw that you can enter your own categories on the built-in. Go under "category" then "edit categories".
    Yes, but "the card" is still it's own category....everything on the card stays on the card category.

2. I'll look into this.
    Don't think you'll regret it, especially if you like small fonts and lotsa data on screen.

6. Ever have a pest who can't seem to figure anything out call you and you pick up the phone because of habit, then have to deal with them? An assigned ringtone will tell you who this is and you can ignore the call. I also wish there were software to bar calls from some people!
    I never answer the phone w/o peeking at the screen first. In the car, it's mounted 2" to the right of the 3:00 position of the steering wheel. I always answer by tapping the screen rather than the BT headset....hands are just closer to Treo than ear. In the pocket, phoen comes out and I look at screen before hitting answer.
  17.    #17  
    wow!!! alot of great info, I need to take a week just to figure out what I want in the way of apps. I think I will definately be getting the uninstaller, ringpro, and zlauncher. I had no idea there was sooooooooo much stuff for the palmphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Yes, but "the card" is still it's own category....everything on the card stays on the card category.

Don't think you'll regret it, especially if you like small fonts and lotsa data on screen.

I never answer the phone w/o peeking at the screen first. In the car, it's mounted 2" to the right of the 3:00 position of the steering wheel. I always answer by tapping the screen rather than the BT headset....hands are just closer to Treo than ear. In the pocket, phoen comes out and I look at screen before hitting answer.
    I found TMP! One question, do you have to use the Palm calender to enter info? Please tell me no!!

wow!!! alot of great info, I need to take a week just to figure out what I want in the way of apps. I think I will definately be getting the uninstaller, ringpro, and zlauncher. I had no idea there was sooooooooo much stuff for the palmphones.
    I am looking at mRing because there are too many reports of Ringo causing resets. If anyone knows a better one, please post.

One more tip: If you want music as a ringtone, just hold your Treo up to the radio and record the music. Then you can assign it as a ringtone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast