1.    #1  
    Like the title says, I am looking to buy a treo 650, for use with cingular (gsm). I currently have a nokia with a full qwerty keyboard and I am constantly using it to keep my schedule straight, play games, etc. My main problem is the games are simplistically junk, the schedule is limited, and the ringtones are polyphonic at best, no mp3. I would like to use the internet features of my nokia, but it's such a pain it's not worth it. all this brings me to the treo, a palm organizer cell phone. the fact that I can use mp3 as ringers ( with ringpro or other software) is great, I like the navigation so far ( I was able to play with my friends treo 650 a little the other day). the games look better, the web browser sounds easier to navigate. and the ability ( with an sd card) to hold alot of mp3 files is awsome. I am sure I will find more things that I like but that's what I have for now.

I have been reading alot of threads on this site, to the point that my eyes are starting to cross ( seriously my vision is getting blurry) so go easy on me, I know there are threads that answer my questions, but I haven't found them yet. With all that I have read info gets confusing, since it's alot to take in on a phone that I don't even have yet ( I am hands on so I can figure it out better when I get the treo).

My main questions are.

1. I followed a link to zipzoomfly for the adata 4gb sd card, But do I HAVE to use a hacked rom to use the 4gb for mp3 and games? I have a real digital camera and digital camcorder so those parts don't matter as much to me. I understand it will access the files faster but for what I plan on using it for will it make a difference, if I find more options on the treo that I like and need hack the rom I will, but for now I am hoping not to.

2. I am getting a locked phone (locked to cingular, my carrier), but is there any benifit to unlocking it? I know resale makes a difference, but as far as software use, 3rd party software, :cough:adult:cough: software, internet video viewing, etc.

3. To load files, games, mp3 to the phone do I have to use an sd card reader or can I leave the sd card in the phone and just use the usb cable?

I apologize if the info is easy to find, but like I said I have been reading through the threads and can barely make out the letters anymore, which is more research than I have ever done for a phone I haven't even bought yet. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    1. Yes, if you want to use a 4gb card

2. Yes, if you plan to travel abroad and don't want to pay int'l roaming charges by using a prepaid SIM from the country you visit

3. Card reader or cardexport software
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt

My main questions are.

1. I followed a link to zipzoomfly for the adata 4gb sd card, But do I HAVE to use a hacked rom to use the 4gb for mp3 and games? I have a real digital camera and digital camcorder so those parts don't matter as much to me. I understand it will access the files faster but for what I plan on using it for will it make a difference, if I find more options on the treo that I like and need hack the rom I will, but for now I am hoping not to.
    You'll need fat32 to use the full 4GB, else you're stuck with 2GB max.
    2. I am getting a locked phone (locked to cingular, my carrier), but is there any benifit to unlocking it? I know resale makes a difference, but as far as software use, 3rd party software, :cough:adult:cough: software, internet video viewing, etc.
    No difference for that.
    3. To load files, games, mp3 to the phone do I have to use an sd card reader or can I leave the sd card in the phone and just use the usb cable?
    You'll normally load programs via Hotsync. Other things like audio files are best copied via card reader.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #4  
    cool thanks, I imagine I will have to update the treo after I buy it to make sure it has the updated version. Is it easier to hack the rom when it's brand new and there is no other software on it? If I read correctly I will need to actually get the 4gb card first, before I can hack the rom. Can I use another sd card that I already have, so that I can do this then when the 4gb comes in just format to fat32? I'll end up hacking the rom since I can't see paying the same price for a 2gb. which card reader will take the 4gb?

with the softick reader software sold on this site, it looks like I wouldn't need an individual card reader. Is this still true with the hacked roms. does this software allow for the 4gb. since it emulates a usb mass storage then it should just see it the same as it would a flash drive or any other removable media.

thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by Drizzt; 04/09/2006 at 10:00 PM.
    No, you'll need to hack the ROM BEFORE you can use the 4GB card (to its full capacity.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    the shadowmite links I have seen mentioned something about transfering files to the pc and changing the palm file name, how is this transfered? the usb cable would be the only option then. right?
    with the softick reader software sold on this site, it looks like I wouldn't need an individual card reader. Is this still true with the hacked roms. does this software allow for the 4gb. since it emulates a usb mass storage then it should just see it the same as it would a flash drive or any other removable media.

thanks again for the help.
    I would advise against getting the softick reader software. Any card reader will be *much* faster than the software. You can also use the reader for a digital camera, mp3 player, etc. Price is about the same. You can get a cheap card reader here:

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...SubCategory=69
    HP95LX--->Palm m130--->Palm Zire71--->Treo 700P --->Palm Pré
  8.    #8  
    will any of the sd readers support the 4gb sd card?
    will any of the sd readers support the 4gb sd card?

Pretty much any reader you buy will support 4GB+ cards. This has more to do with the OS your computer is running than the reader itself.
    HP95LX--->Palm m130--->Palm Zire71--->Treo 700P --->Palm Pré
    These questions have been asked and answered many times before so I won't go into detauil since you can find that via a forum search. However:

1. Do you need a 4 GB card ? I have TomTom maos for the entire US and territoties and Canada on mu SD card along with everything else I need and still ahve 700 MB free. How many songs, movies can you watch in a day ? Between visits to your PC. With a 2 GB card you may have to swap out ya on card mp3 / movie collection every 60 days....a 4 GB card would give ya 120 days. I am not satisfied with th sound / movie quality of the Treo so this is not an issue for me, I figure the time spent building a custom ROM is more than me swapping out the card colelction a few times since I will have a new phone before end of year. But if you need to carry thousands of minutes of songs with you it might be worth it.

2. You can swap SIMS.....going fishing, white water rafting, mountain biking, wifey wants to borrow the Tro for the GPS ? Swap phones and take the $20 phone with you and put a prepaid SIM in tehre for whoever is gonna use it while you gone. Also thro a prepaid SIM in when you tvael pverseas.

3. CArd Reader will save you time. Card Export 2 next best thing tho won't help as much withs ay TomTom 165 MB map installs.