Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just heard Engadget Podcast (podcast no 74) for 04/04/06. Peter Rojas said that his sources told him that Treo800 is coming near the end of the year which will be totally new form factor (different from treo 600, 650 and 700; which almost got same specs and form feature). He also said that since Palm love to release news in October then may be they tell us about that around October.

Question is; is it Hollywood that we all heard rumors for? It is odd that he said "Treo800" and not hollywood. I saw posts on Engadget with hollywood mentioned but Treo800 is the first time that I heard from Peter who I really admire when it comes to news and reviews for new products.

So may be its a new rumor thread I am starting... but I want to know what you guys think.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I would venture to say that Hollywood = 800 (given the new form factor stated and the "product roadmap" that was presented in the Sagio Investment leak) and that's why I use the fictional number 900p in my signature line for the future Palm over Linux Treo.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/06/2006 at 01:19 PM.
    Engadget's a pretty good source when the info comes directly from them. It's a different story when they refer to rumours posted elsewhere, like the Slinky Scandal here on TC.
    The big question is will it be GSM only or will a CDMA version be available. I'd hate to wait for it only to find out it will only be GSM. From all I've read, I think I'd prefer to stay with CDMA/Sprint.
    GSM is MUCH better than CDMA as long as you get reception with Cingular or T-Mobile. It will work anywhere in the world and you can use the phone and the data connection at the same time. CASE CLOSED!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    GSM is MUCH better than CDMA as long as you get reception with Cingular or T-Mobile. It will work anywhere in the world and you can use the phone and the data connection at the same time. CASE CLOSED!!
    We think alike!

But seriously, they will probably have to release a CDMA version too. The US is still stuck with CDMA in many places. And people aren't about to quit Sprint or Verizon. It might not make good financial sense to exclude them. Moto even finally put out an EVDO RAZR for Verizon after the RAZR being about a year and a half of GSM only(with no EDGE at that).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    Just heard Engadget Podcast (podcast no 74) for 04/04/06. Peter Rojas said that his sources told him that Treo800 is coming near the end of the year which will be totally new form factor (different from treo 600, 650 and 700; which almost got same specs and form feature). He also said that since Palm love to release news in October then may be they tell us about that around October.

Question is; is it Hollywood that we all heard rumors for? It is odd that he said "Treo800" and not hollywood. I saw posts on Engadget with hollywood mentioned but Treo800 is the first time that I heard from Peter who I really admire when it comes to news and reviews for new products.

So may be its a new rumor thread I am starting... but I want to know what you guys think.
    Someone once said the terms "Lowrider" and "Hollywood" were just prototype names anyway. Don't know if that's true though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #8  
    yeah. I am sure they will announce both versions - CDMA and GSM. Now, what will it be called. I think Treo800 is not out of question when you look at hollywood and lowrider as code names. But what I am really interested in is; Treo800 will be released on same versions of OS (WM5 and Garnet), with same radios (EVDO and bluetooth, well may be bluetooth is upgraded but I dont think wifi will be added), and same networks (almost), will I be interested in just the form factor of it. I mean if I buy Treo700P in May, and many treo700W customers who bought in Jan and later, should Palm sell a new Treo with almost same specs, and new form factor, few months later and expect us to buy it? Well, GSM people will be interested, assuming there wont be Treo700 (W or P) released for them? I am very curious about their tactics.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Just what could the new form factor be? No antenna is all I can think of, because they wouldn't DARE get rid of the keyboard, would they?

10.    #10  
    What I heard is no antenna and slim design. Yes they cant leave keyboard out.

That's what I've heard for the Hollywood. Assuming the 800 and the Hollywood are the same, I hope that's all they meant by change in form factor.

12.    #12  
    That is what I think. But again if that is the only change, and if you bought Treo700P (or W with cingular as it is rumored) before July. Do you really think that you can afford slimmer version of the same phone later this year??? I am just curious. Who Palm thinks will buy these phones?? Especially with same specs and all.

I'm interested in seeing what "Hollywood" brings, but after seeing reviews of the Moto Q and the even smaller/lighter Samsung i320, you really have to wonder what Hollywood will bring to the plate that these two don't already have. Touch screen - maybe. Higher res screen - doubtful unless they push the WM5 device to 480x480. WiFi - wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Since there are NO photos of the device, even yet, then it may run way behind the other two on the release schedule. Doesn't bode well for a rousing release.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  14.    #14  
    I think it will be announced in October-November of this year. But even if it does, It wont create a big buzz unless they release it with wifi or new linux OS they are working on for a while now (rumored). Just the slim form factor and no antenna wont sell.

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I would venture to say that Hollywood = 800 (given the new form factor stated and the "product roadmap" that was presented in the Sagio Investment leak) and that's why I use the fictional number 900p in my signature line for the future Palm over Linux Treo.

Cheers, Perry.
    If Hollywood is Treo800 and it release this year, Treo900 will be released in 2007. You might get lucky next year . But will it contain Linux??? That is a million Treo question

The Hollywood will have to compete against the HTC Muse, which is one cool phone.

Windows Mobile 5
    4GB of NAND Flash memory for storing media files
    240 by 240 pixel display
    triband GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS (and possible HSDPA)
    WiFi
    Bluetooth
    an integrated FM tuner
    built-in stereo speakers
    64MB of RAM, 64MB of ROM
    microSD memory card slot
    416MHz processor
    2.1 megapixel digital camera with flash
    second VGA camera on front for video calls
    As you can see the standard of competition is pretty high.

Surur
    Since teh first pictures I saw way back when the Hollywood has always been rumored to eb the code name for the 800. I think this was last discussed here about 3 weeks ago tho there are quite a few others

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=109788
    I can see some of these being attractive but, personally, doesn't excite me ?

Windows Mobile 5
    4GB of NAND Flash memory for storing media files
    240 by 240 pixel display
    triband GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS (and possible HSDPA ) w/o HSDPA UTMS is a waste, triband GSM don't cut it in US.
    WiFi - don't care
    Bluetooth - a given
    an integrated FM tuner - don't care
    built-in stereo speakers - stereo speakers 2" apart ?
    64MB of RAM, 64MB of ROM - could be better
    microSD memory card slot
    416MHz processor - whatever
    2.1 megapixel digital camera with flash - don't care
    second VGA camera on front for video calls - wasted space

If it don't arrive w/ a touchscren and a exposed keyboard really have no interest tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The Hollywood will have to compete against the HTC Muse, which is one cool phone.

As you can see the standard of competition is pretty high.

Surur

I like the specs of the HP 6900 line better.

The Muse is a music phone, not a business phone. Its aimed at European consumers. The only problem is the 240x240 screen. Otherwise its Practically Perfect In Every Way

Surur
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast