Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    GSM is MUCH better than CDMA as long as you get reception with Cingular or T-Mobile. It will work anywhere in the world and you can use the phone and the data connection at the same time. CASE CLOSED!!
    Your dillusional...I don't want to start the same discussion again that was under the EVDO crippled thread again, but your still dillusional. So what you can talk all over the world. CDMA is the newer technology, and it is the better technology, and the Europeans already don't like us, so you think they are going to change to what is american like football...no. The broadband like speeds are capable under the cdma network with EVDO, not GSM who is behind in every advancement between the two. That is why the focus from the new 700 has been with CDMA via Verizon with the 700w, and now sprint with 700p, and gsm will be last.
    Japan uses neither, right? I think they use 3 and 4G from what I saw. And they are usually ahead of the game.

But say what you will, GSM is still more world-friendly if you travel. And switching phones is great! UMTS will be here to compete with EVDO sooner or later. But if you stay in the US all the time, CDMA is fine.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    BigTex, Sprint works fine in rural areas. You are right it is not for European use but please be careful saying it does not work in rural areas because that is just not true. All carriers have holes in their coverage.

Point taken. Sprint PCS has grown up alot since the days I used it
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Why do you say that?

Surur
    Because the investor report thingy that was leaked referred to the Hollywood as being something like an upgraded Treo650 with no antenna, 3G data on GSM. Since the Treo 650 is PalmOS, and since it mentioned nothing about WM5 (as it did the 700w also in the report) I can only assume it will maintain the Palm OS.
    The removal of the antenna was specifically done to address the European markets who pretty much refuse to buy a phone with an antenna sticking out.
    But who really knows.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Because the investor report thingy that was leaked referred to the Hollywood as being something like an upgraded Treo650 with no antenna, 3G data on GSM. Since the Treo 650 is PalmOS, and since it mentioned nothing about WM5 (as it did the 700w also in the report) I can only assume it will maintain the Palm OS.
    The removal of the antenna was specifically done to address the European markets who pretty much refuse to buy a phone with an antenna sticking out.
    But who really knows.
    There is a second part to that report, which mentions the unpopularity of POS in Europe, which will be addressed too. It implies this device is WM5.

From the report:

Presently PALM has a very strong market position in the US with 31% of market share but is currently very weak in EMEA (4%) and Asia Pacific (5%) The weakness in Europe is mainly explained by 3 factors
    - External antenna disliked by fashion sensitive Europeans
    - Lack of support and following for PALM operating systems
    - No 3G radio and poor camera quality

All this concerns will be taken care of with PALM new product code named Hollywood which will be introduced in May 06.
    Ed Colligan also recently (in the earnings report conference call) mentioned further WM5 devices (besides the 700w) which also implies the Hollywood is WM5.

In our conference call last quarter, I shared with you that Palm would introduce four new smartphones in calendar year 2006. When I say new smartphones, I am referring to a combination of operating systems, new hardware design, new radio technology or other significant advancements. It’s worth noting that with a new radio technology such as the EVDO we’re able to leverage the investment with multiple new and existing carriers to expand Treo’s presence worldwide. The first of our four new smartphones, the Treo 700w on the Verizon Wireless EVDO network, went on sale on time in early January. Reviewers praised the advent of the Palm experience on top of Windows. You’ll see additional differentiation on Windows mobile products yet to be announced. We look forward to further collaboration with Microsoft to bring more Windows mobiles based Treos to market here and abroad and continue to refine the Palm experience on this platform favored by business. In delivering our three additional smartphones this calendar year, you’ll see us continue to deliver on our open platform strategy offering customers a choice of operating system, Palm OS and Windows Mobile as well as choices among radio technologies and industry-leading e-mail applications. This strategy expands our addressable market to embrace more users at a wider range of price points.
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/8119

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 04/09/2006 at 03:41 PM.
    that was me calling

i am dan from CT

to prove it, ill record myself
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    I disagree

CDMA offers data transfer rates at much higher speeds

in addition, Verizon/Sprint have much better cell coverage than Cingular/TMobile
    That's too simple statement to have any validity....it varies from area to area. The latest published studies show Cingular ousting Verizon as the best network (judged by fewest dropped calls) and they reach more people than any other carrier. I carry two phones one GSM (CNG) and one CDMA (verizon) . I use the GMS phone as my primary and then fall back on the Verizon phone if I can't get a signal. My last call on the Verizon phone was in mid April 2005.

In other areas Verizon, Cingular or T-Mobile will have the edge.....there is no "best network" as what is best depends on where you are standing. All other things being equal signal wise tho, I wouldn't look at CDMA.....no SIM swapping, to international travel, no voice disconnect to receive data, 50% battery life penalty on CDMA.

My GSM choice was easy, combined voice and data plans were cheapest, service was best by a longshot and I didn't have to give up any GSM technical advantages. However the cost and technical stuff woulda been swept aside if Sprint or Verizon had decent service on eastern Long Island.

As for the data speeds.....if there's no EVDO in your area, there is no advantage there. If there's both HSDPA and EVDO, HSDPA has the advantage. HSDPA won't catch up to EVDO in availability in major market areas until 3rd quarter 2006.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    There is a second part to that report, which mentions the unpopularity of POS in Europe, which will be addressed too. It implies this device is WM5.
    Wow, my mistake. It has been ages since I read that and I just remember thinking Hollywood sounded like a POS device to me.
    I hope you're right. What I really want is WM5 with UMTS. I'd be stoked if Hollywood and/or the 800 delivers that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I carry two phones one GSM (CNG) and one CDMA (verizon) . I use the GMS phone as my primary and then fall back on the Verizon phone if I can't get a signal.
    I do the same thing, I thought I was alone. I have Cingular plan and a pre-paid Nokia 6015i that uses the Verizon network which I rarely have to use.
    I find that the GSM service simply works better.
    to those wishing for hsdpa...i really wouldn't hold your breath on that one. it requires completely new hardware added to the towers (doesnt travel through gsm) unlike evdo. rollout will be VERY slow. I think at last count it was avail. in less than 10 markets and no phones used the technology (in us) and speeds weren't really comparable to evdo (which will be rev a with 3mbs speeds with 2mbps upload by years end). and evdo already covers pretty much every major market (sadly none in new mexico)
    Sprint Kyocera 6035> Verizonized Sprint 6035> Treo 300> Sprint Treo 600> Sprint Treo 650> Cingular 8125> Sprint Treo 650> Sprint Treo 700wx

“It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it.” -George W. Bush

BE AMERICAN, USE CDMA
    Originally Posted by EvilMonkey
    My understanding is that GSM is a set of protocols implemented using a TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) radio scheme, but that GSM carriers are adopting a particular CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) implementation (called WCDMA) in order to offer 3G (i.e., data-intensive) service. So, even though they may call it "GSM", the new generation is actually an acknowledgement that CDMA technology is superior to GSM's original TDMA technology. Qualcomm, who invented CDMA and holds lots of its patents, gets to laugh all the way to the bank because they can now play both sides of the battle. (See the other thread that cites a news article about Qualcomm's 7.2 Mbps HSPDA chips for 3G GSM carriers.) ...I am tired of debating over this and don't feel like typing it again and again...thanks EvilMonkey...couldn't say it any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    to those wishing for hsdpa...i really wouldn't hold your breath on that one. it requires completely new hardware added to the towers (doesnt travel through gsm) unlike evdo. rollout will be VERY slow. I think at last count it was avail. in less than 10 markets and no phones used the technology (in us) and speeds weren't really comparable to evdo (which will be rev a with 3mbs speeds with 2mbps upload by years end). and evdo already covers pretty much every major market (sadly none in new mexico)
    HSDPA was at 20 MMA's (major metro areas) in January (when Verizon had 60 EVDO MMA's). Cingular had completed 51 MMA's as on March 1st. Cingular is adding 12-15 metro areas a month using 6 separate contractors so the roll out is going faster than was originally projected. They anticipate matching EVDO's penetration by November.

HSDPA 1.8 is comparable to EVDO. While originally scheduled as a software upgrade, Cingular is already rolling HSDPA 3.6 out and demonstrated the technology live in Las Vegas at the Cebit show on January doing twice EVDO speeds. The question is which handset makers provide 1.8 or 3.6 compatability.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Your dillusional...I don't want to start the same discussion again that was under the EVDO crippled thread again, but your still dillusional. So what you can talk all over the world. CDMA is the newer technology, and it is the better technology, and the Europeans already don't like us, so you think they are going to change to what is american like football...no. The broadband like speeds are capable under the cdma network with EVDO, not GSM who is behind in every advancement between the two. That is why the focus from the new 700 has been with CDMA via Verizon with the 700w, and now sprint with 700p, and gsm will be last.

According to an independent study Cingular has the fewest drop calls in the country. If you remember a while back Verizon used to say that in thei commercials but after the study was released they had to pull each one of them (and now Cingular has commercials saying the same thing).

When you say "broadband like speed aren't capable with GSM" that's just wrong. Cingular currently had 20 markets available with HSDPA 3.6 which is twice the speed of Verizon or Sprint's EVDO.

And the reason Verizon and CDMA got the 700w first is simply becuase Verizon paid Palm the most money to do so. The Motorola Q was supposed to come out for Cingular first but when Verizon offered more money they switched it to CDMA. When the Hollywood comes out for Cingular it will be the same deal. Phone manufacturers do what's fiscally beneficial to themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    HSDPA was at 20 MMA's (major metro areas) in January (when Verizon had 60 EVDO MMA's). Cingular had completed 51 MMA's as on March 1st. Cingular is adding 12-15 metro areas a month using 6 separate contractors so the roll out is going faster than was originally projected. They anticipate matching EVDO's penetration by November.

HSDPA 1.8 is comparable to EVDO. While originally scheduled as a software upgrade, Cingular is already rolling HSDPA 3.6 out and demonstrated the technology live in Las Vegas at the Cebit show on January doing twice EVDO speeds. The question is which handset makers provide 1.8 or 3.6 compatability.
    Jack, where can I find out when Cingular HSDPA will be in my area?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    According to an independent study Cingular has the fewest drop calls in the country. If you remember a while back Verizon used to say that in thei commercials but after the study was released they had to pull each one of them (and now Cingular has commercials saying the same thing).

When you say "broadband like speed aren't capable with GSM" that's just wrong. Cingular currently had 20 markets available with HSDPA 3.6 which is twice the speed of Verizon or Sprint's EVDO.

And the reason Verizon and CDMA got the 700w first is simply becuase Verizon paid Palm the most money to do so. The Motorola Q was supposed to come out for Cingular first but when Verizon offered more money they switched it to CDMA. When the Hollywood comes out for Cingular it will be the same deal. Phone manufacturers do what's fiscally beneficial to themselves.
    Its all cool...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I just do the occassional searches on HSDPA and EVDO to see if anything new pops up. I don't have EVDO here on eastern Long Island (only 1.7 million peeps in my county) so if you use that as a bar .....
    Could the 800 include this ?

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/73474

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Mmm...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Mmm...
    love your avatar!!! from what i was reading on another web site is that cingular will try to have full 3g by the end of this year. that is why they are using a couple of different companies to keep on getting utms up in more areas.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    For HSDPA, see:
    http://www.cingular.com/broadbandconnect_consumer
    The 16 markets available and coverage maps are linked off that page or http://www.cingular.com/business/3G_cov_maps_pop .
    If you want 3G data in any other market today, I suggest a switch over to Sprint EV-DO.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast