Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Check out link and you decide!

Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Check out link and you decide!

Was the camcorder lens in a shot glass? Based on the test pictured, I would be upset if I were a Verizon customer.
    Last edited by geatches; 04/03/2006 at 04:31 PM.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Hahaha....further proof that VZW isn't as great as people make it out to be.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    ouch. but this commenter has a good point... reminds me of my Treo 600 choking on a web site

Where was this test performed? Not all Verizonn markets have EVDO deployed. I can't tell from the video if it is on 1x or EV.
    What do you guys expect for an arm and a leg?
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Yes, but who is to say that the 700w is able to properly take that test. I have had problems getting my PPC-6700 to do speed test on some sites.
    It would not suprise me if VZW did that to this phone. They have crippled every former decent phone in their lineup
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Quote Originally Posted by eimajuno
    It would not suprise me if VZW did that to this phone. They have crippled every former decent phone in their lineup

At the present CDMA has faster speeds with EVDO than GSM. Why the future? I do like the idea of swapping phones at the switch of a sim card and being able to able to choose from a host of phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    At the present CDMA has faster speeds with EVDO than GSM. Why the future? I do like the idea of swapping phones at the switch of a sim card and being able to able to choose from a host of phones.

GSM doesn't have EVDO.

They have EDGE.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    It takes me about 30 mintues to download a 50MB Stern Show on Verizon. Thats somewhere between 128k and 256k.

And $45 dollars wouldn't be "an arm an a leg" if it was truly "wireless broadband".

I am tending to agree. It is not, however Verizon paid for both of my treo phones for me as well. I will be switching as soon as my equipment subsidy period is over in a couple months.

And anyway, everyone gets ripped off for cell phone service in the usa. I hear people talking about $15 dollar EDVO, I bet their total cell bill is close to 60, 80, or even a hundred dollars.

It would be a different story, if they would just sell me the data alone, and let me use skype or other voip.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    ...It would be a different story, if they would just sell me the data alone, and let me use skype or other voip.
    Sure, when if they charge an arm & a leg. Besides all the "free" Skype calling, there'd be hugely discounted international calling. No way dude.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    But the ability to get a phone from just about where ever and have all of your info swapping over easily is the kicker for me. GSM has always worked better in my situation. I happen to live in a dead spot for VZW and Sprint. Cingular is nice and strong. While the data is not a fast, for now, UMTS is coming very soon and it will definately be comparable to evdo.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
  13.    #13  
    It takes me about 30 mintues to download a 50MB Stern Show on Verizon. Thats somewhere between 128k and 256k.

And $45 dollars wouldn't be "an arm an a leg" if it was truly "wireless broadband".

I am tending to agree. It is not, however Verizon paid for both of my treo phones for me as well. I will be switching as soon as my equipment subsidy period is over in a couple months.

And anyway, everyone gets ripped off for cell phone service in the usa. I hear people talking about $15 dollar EDVO, I bet their total cell bill is close to 60, 80, or even a hundred dollars.

It would be a different story, if they would just sell me the data alone, and let me use skype or other voip.
    Sprint still is better...I have been with Verizon and Sprint and I like Sprint better. All Verizon has going for them is CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW. From what I remember when I was with Verizon, my free nights started at 9:00 P.M during the week until 6:00 A.M, and my free weekends started at 12:00 A.M midnight on Friday until 12:00 A.M midnight on Sunday...what type of weekends is that. With the same minutes in any given plan you get so much more with Sprint. With Sprint my nights start at 7:00 A.M. to 7:00 A.M. and the weekend starts at 7:00 P.M. friday night until 7:00 A.M. Monday morning...thats a weekend, and since I have been a customer for over 2 years I don't pay the 5 dollars a month for the 7:00 starts, and I have the fair and flex plan costing only 10 bucks for every 100 minutes I go over on my plan...I could blow my anytime minutes by 300 and only have an extra 30 bucks on my bill, 300 minutes over with Verizon, you could have bought another Treo, and 15 bucks for data on top of it all. The only problem with sprint is if I could cary a gun, I would shoot all customer service reps. As far as network, Sprint is getting better as they add to their built from the ground up network, and it is an all digital fiber optic network unlike Verizons mixed up network old and new anolog and digital technology, and when ever I am out in the boonies I am roaming and I pay an extra 5 a month for 200 minutes roaming when I am in the backwoods areas that put Verizon on the map.

Actually, I have Sprint and have the 6700. I pay $29.95 month for voice service (unlim. n/ws, long distance, sprint-to-sprint) and $15 for unlimited evdo = $45 plus 25% corporate discount and hopefully I'm going to get another 10% off for loyalty.

That brings it to about $30 month before tax. Verizon bites.

Whether or not that vid is accurate for all users, it was quite entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    ...That brings it to about $30 month before tax...
    Bull****, even if your voice plus EDVO did add up to $30 dollars, the amount you have to pay them would be $50 after made up fees. And that was my point.

Furthermore, I also said in my post, im planning to switch to sprint. So please give me a link where i can sign up for voice plus EDVO for $30. Seriously.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Sure, when if they charge an arm & a leg. Besides all the "free" Skype calling, there'd be hugely discounted international calling. No way dude.

Huh?
    I'll try again - they will never offer data only, without an even greater premium than they now charge. They're not going to open their network to unlimited free calling with Skype or any other VOIP solution. IN fact, I'm still shocked that Sprint is allowing EV-DO for the same price as their Vision plan.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by eimajuno
    You mean GSM the past, CDMA the future. CDMA is better than the gsm, CDMA has a higher data rate at its frequency...hence 3g, EVDO, and that is why Sprint and Verizon have so many goodies to offer, which is why GSM is always behind. CDMA was developed in america, and I think they use it in Japan. Europeans have to get it together with. CDMA is the future. The EDGE...
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    You mean GSM the past, CDMA the future. CDMA is better than the gsm, CDMA has a higher data rate at its frequency...hence 3g, EVDO, and that is why Sprint and Verizon have so many goodies to offer, which is why GSM is always behind. CDMA was developed in america, and I think they use it in Japan. Europeans have to get it together with. CDMA is the future. The EDGE...
    Whoo there good buddy....EDGE is NOT 3G, and yes, Cingular is slow in rolling HSDPA (GSM version of 3G) out stateside. EDGE is as good, if not better, than Sprint Vision, that's all. Whether one is technically superior to the other (EVDO v HSDPA) is not a done deal, although I've seen studies showing the max throughput is technically better on the GSM side. As for Euro's getting it together, you might re-think the global cellular map and wonder why the good ole USA struck out on its own on a different standard. Best of all, I love have a broader choice of phones (thank you GSM and SIM cards) plus the flexibility of switching phones and numbers when needed, rather than being locked to a single phone.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Whoo there good buddy....EDGE is NOT 3G, and yes, Cingular is slow in rolling HSDPA (GSM version of 3G) out stateside. EDGE is as good, if not better, than Sprint Vision, that's all. Whether one is technically superior to the other (EVDO v HSDPA) is not a done deal, although I've seen studies showing the max throughput is technically better on the GSM side. As for Euro's getting it together, you might re-think the global cellular map and wonder why the good ole USA struck out on its own on a different standard. Best of all, I love have a broader choice of phones (thank you GSM and SIM cards) plus the flexibility of switching phones and numbers when needed, rather than being locked to a single phone.
    For one you may have read ME wrong...I didn't say 3g had anything to do with EDGE, but you are right about phone selection. It does make me upset that the cooler phones are gsm enabled, and it isn't fair that the european market gets a lot of cool phones that aren't even offered in the U.S. Correct me if I am wrong, GSM is the older of the two by more than a decade. I don't know the specifics on the technical squable, but in Europe they are having a problem with getting GSM to certain technilogical levels due to the lack of room for data with multiple bands offered at gsm's frequency or something like that, and they are trying to find alternatives to a problem that CDMA does not have and will never have. CDMA is the newer force and that is why their numbers are smaller customer wise, but they are like the Marines...smaller for now, but elite.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    If you don't have a link to said study, then you've got nothing.

The reason there is a smaller range of phones for CDMA is a carrier choice. I'm sure a kind of SIM card could've been developed, but why would these companies want to do this? From a marketing perspective, this provides no benefit. Think about it, if you were to buy an unlocked cell phone in the U.S. for use both here and abroad, you'd have to at least use a service such as Cingular or the like while you're here. GSM is what's used in Europe, so if you are going to be travelling there, you're gonna buy a GSM phone. It's a smart idea on the part of those few U.S. carriers to utilize GSM, to corner the travelling professional department. CDMA took the cellular market from a different approach. The average cell user in the U.S. doesn't even know what a SIM card is, nor do they care. Most cell phones are very similar (feature list set by categories "picture phone, video phone, etc") until you get up into the higher range. It's all about personal preference before there.

So I guess my basic point there was, regular peeps don't care about SIM cards. Hmmm...I probably could'a just said that and made it shorter and less confusing, huh?

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast