Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    If you don't have a link to said study, then you've got nothing.

The reason there is a smaller range of phones for CDMA is a carrier choice. I'm sure a kind of SIM card could've been developed, but why would these companies want to do this? From a marketing perspective, this provides no benefit. Think about it, if you were to buy an unlocked cell phone in the U.S. for use both here and abroad, you'd have to at least use a service such as Cingular or the like while you're here. GSM is what's used in Europe, so if you are going to be traveling there, you're gonna buy a GSM phone. It's a smart idea on the part of those few U.S. carriers to utilize GSM, to corner the travelling professional department. CDMA took the cellular market from a different approach. The average cell user in the U.S. doesn't even know what a SIM card is, nor do they care. Most cell phones are very similar (feature list set by categories "picture phone, video phone, etc") until you get up into the higher range. It's all about personal preference before there.

So I guess my basic point there was, regular peeps don't care about SIM cards. Hmmm...I probably could'a just said that and made it shorter and less confusing, huh?
    I surrender to the power of the superior intellect. I couldn't find the study I was referring to (as I remember, it was a tech demo of HSDPA at 3.6mb, or something like that), but never mind. Ignorance is bliss for the American consumer, so its better they not know they that if they were on GSM, they could switch out the card with any other phone; borrow juniors if one breaks (did that just this weekend); carry a "cheapie" to the beach instead of that high priced Razr; switch between Cingular and T-Mobile (assuming its unlocked, or you unlock it); save battery power or use a phone without an antennae.

Nah, there's no advantage to GSM (truthfully, Cingular is idiotically slow in rolling out real 3G).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    http://telephonyonline.com/wireless/..._hsdpa_010506/

Cingular today at CES demonstrated a faster version of its new high-speed downlink packet access (HSDPA) network, performing a data call with a new PC card capable of 3.6 Mb/s downstream speeds.

Though still far from capitalizing HSDPA’s theoretical ceiling of 14.4 Mb/s, the demonstration signaled that Cingular may move up through the iterations of HSDPA faster than expected. Cingular’s UMTS/HSDPA network infrastructure--now launched in 15 markets--already supports full HSDPA speeds, but handset chipset technology is much further down the curve. The HSDPA standard calls for more than a dozen phases, each supporting greater speeds. Cingular’s originally launched laptop cards that supported 1.8 Mb/s theoretical downlink speeds, though real-world speeds are more in line with 400 kb/s to 700 kb/s. But today Cingular took the wraps off an Option Wireless PC modem card embedded with Qualcomm’s new MSM6280 chipset, which quadruples the current capacity the network can handle.

Qualcomm began sampling the new chipset in October and expects to ship the silicon commercially this year. The chip actually has a theoretical capacity of 7.2 Mb/s, but Qualcomm said it has been able to achieve controlled bursts of 3.6 Mb/s in the lab. When Cingular does commercially launch the new data card, however, customers shouldn’t expect that kind of performance over their own laptops. While capable of boosting individual performance over individual devices, Cingular is aiming to use the evolving technologies to boost overall network performance, dividing that capacity over more users per cellular carrier.
    Surur
    Thanks, I knew I wasn't completely crazy (yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Thanks, I knew I wasn't completely crazy (yet).
    Score
    dstrauss - 1

If you don't have a link to said study, then you've got nothing...
    OnceUponAn00b - 0
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Score
    dstrauss - 1

OnceUponAn00b - 0

Hey, it's not like I said it wasn't true. I've just observed on this board that if you don't provide a link, then it counts for nothing.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
  6.    #26  

Hey, it's not like I said it wasn't true. I've just observed on this board that if you don't provide a link, then it counts for nothing.
    There has to be credible individuals who need no link, we can trust their wisdom.

n00b, some balls to question someone here since 1999 when you've been here a month. He has credibility, you do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    n00b, some balls to question someone here since 1999 when you've been here a month. He has credibility, you do not.
    *tire screech* Woah now. Hold up, hold up. Chill yourself. I didn't question anyone's credibility. Hence the " " at the end of the "if you don't have a link, you've got nothing" comment.

However, I can question anyone's credibility, not only because I'm a skeptical person who has dealt with many so-called experts who have been doing jobs for years, however incorrectly (and hence the very reason I'm skeptical), but because I am new around here. I never take anyone's "word for it". While I wasn't calling anyone's credibility into question, I was interested in his initial statement.

This board is so anti-new (regardless of how informed the person is), it's not even funny. I haven't asked any n00b questions (yet ) so relax. Pick a fight with me then (Notice the smiley?)

I apologize to dstrauss (only), if he felt I was attacking him (though, I don't think he did, judging from his response)

P.s. Yep, I've got balls. I've always been ballsy, thank you.

*we now return you to your regular programming*

note: this post was done mainly in jest for those of you not able to catch that.

And now:

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Thanks for the props geatches and KStewart, but even us old fossils can have memory lapses, so its good the young ones keep us on our toes now and then. I was a little sarcastic too (who me?) in my response.

Both CDMA and GSM have their own respective advantages; and we can all agree that every carrier works pretty hard at squeezing or teasing every last hard earned nickle out of each of us. Despite that, if you look at how ubiquitous communication is now; how far we've come from the days of $0.25 per minute landline long distance charges, we really ought to marvel at what we get for what we pay. I was floored a few years ago when my son, on his cell phone, calls me on my cell phone to wish me happy birthday. So what you might ask:

He was in London, standing in front of Big Ben marveling at the sites, and I was driving in my car in Midland, Texas taking his little sister to swim practice...

Twenty years ago we'd have to SCHEDULE that for an expensive landline call.

Dr. Doom, and all you other industry reps on these boards - THANKS. Sometimes we just need to stop and smell the roses...

Now, back to RANTING
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Thanks for the props geatches and KStewart, but even us old fossils can have memory lapses, so its good the young ones keep us on our toes now and then. I was a little sarcastic too (who me?) in my response.

Both CDMA and GSM have their own respective advantages; and we can all agree that every carrier works pretty hard at squeezing or teasing every last hard earned nickle out of each of us. Despite that, if you look at how ubiquitous communication is now; how far we've come from the days of $0.25 per minute landline long distance charges, we really ought to marvel at what we get for what we pay. I was floored a few years ago when my son, on his cell phone, calls me on my cell phone to wish me happy birthday. So what you might ask:

He was in London, standing in front of Big Ben marveling at the sites, and I was driving in my car in Midland, Texas taking his little sister to swim practice...

Twenty years ago we'd have to SCHEDULE that for an expensive landline call.

Dr. Doom, and all you other industry reps on these boards - THANKS. Sometimes we just need to stop and smell the roses...

Now, back to RANTING

It's true. I remember the days when many cell phones were car phones and weren't very portible. Those cost both arms, a leg, and one ear to use and coverage was laughable. You could almost get a signal if you converted your vehicle into giant antenna. Cut to now and we have free long distance; nationwide coverage; handheld phones, some smaller than our palm (the body part, not the device), some with no external antenna at all. I use my sprint phone more than my regular landline and it sounds better IMO too. So yeah, you're right, things have come pretty far, and in a relatively short period of time. Cellular service was a laughable luxery of the rich not too long ago, now I don't know a singler person that doesn't have one.

Hey, does anyone remember the days before we had cell phones (or instant messenging for that matter) and we used to actually have to go and talk to people in person? *shudders*

And now:

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I dont have time for quoting post.

CDMA is the future. Even Cingulars 3G network uses WCDMA.
    Im so happy you found that video. Like i mentioned before, Verizon is just raping people and its sad to see some of their customers defend them. I believe i mentioned this before on this board, that when you are being ripped off and you find out, but tied to a 2yr contract, you will do everything to defend VZW. I just did the same test on my Sprint Treo650 (600K) and i got a result of 109kbit/sec all in 45.714seconds. Btw, I had only two bars.
    David
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    CDMA is the future. Even Cingulars 3G network uses WCDMA.
    WCDMA is not the same as CDMA (i.e. Verizon or Sprint)--it's an adaptation of CDMA for GSM networks. Kind of a "best of both worlds" approach.
  14.    #34  
    *tire screech* Woah now. Hold up, hold up. Chill yourself. I didn't question anyone's credibility. Hence the " " at the end of the "if you don't have a link, you've got nothing" comment.

However, I can question anyone's credibility, not only because I'm a skeptical person who has dealt with many so-called experts who have been doing jobs for years, however incorrectly (and hence the very reason I'm skeptical), but because I am new around here. I never take anyone's "word for it". While I wasn't calling anyone's credibility into question, I was interested in his initial statement.

This board is so anti-new (regardless of how informed the person is), it's not even funny. I haven't asked any n00b questions (yet ) so relax. Pick a fight with me then (Notice the smiley?)

I apologize to dstrauss (only), if he felt I was attacking him (though, I don't think he did, judging from his response)

P.s. Yep, I've got balls. I've always been ballsy, thank you.

*we now return you to your regular programming*

note: this post was done mainly in jest for those of you not able to catch that.
    This board does seem to be anti newbie...espeicially to those who cant STFU, I am apart of other forums and its not like this one, and I can't STFU on some of my others myself but I don't disrespect the newbie, I push their buttons in fun, but don't take things so serious...I do have a life and a hot wife...LOL. I miss my old avatar, SHE BROUGHT LIFE TO THE DULL, and she made me feel very accomplished.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    ...I do have a life and a hot wife...LOL. I miss my old avatar, SHE BROUGHT LIFE TO THE DULL, and she made me feel very accomplished.
    I'm sure you're not the only one missing your old avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    I dont have time for quoting post...
    Me neither.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    would be nice if there were two same units.
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by Q
    WCDMA is not the same as CDMA (i.e. Verizon or Sprint)--it's an adaptation of CDMA for GSM networks. Kind of a "best of both worlds" approach.
    My understanding is that GSM is a set of protocols implemented using a TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) radio scheme, but that GSM carriers are adopting a particular CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) implementation (called WCDMA) in order to offer 3G (i.e., data-intensive) service. So, even though they may call it "GSM", the new generation is actually an acknowledgement that CDMA technology is superior to GSM's original TDMA technology. Qualcomm, who invented CDMA and holds lots of its patents, gets to laugh all the way to the bank because they can now play both sides of the battle. (See the other thread that cites a news article about Qualcomm's 7.2 Mbps HSPDA chips for 3G GSM carriers.)
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey
    My understanding is that GSM is a set of protocols implemented using a TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) radio scheme, but that GSM carriers are adopting a particular CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) implementation (called WCDMA) in order to offer 3G (i.e., data-intensive) service. So, even though they may call it "GSM", the new generation is actually an acknowledgement that CDMA technology is superior to GSM's original TDMA technology. Qualcomm, who invented CDMA and holds lots of its patents, gets to laugh all the way to the bank because they can now play both sides of the battle. (See the other thread that cites a news article about Qualcomm's 7.2 Mbps HSPDA chips for 3G GSM carriers.)
    I couldn't have said it better...
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    ya so there seems to be an issue on the treo... mine stalled on the 1meg test too... 600k went through at 628kbit/sec .... i bumped up the cpu speed 312 to 416 and the speed test and got 636... no stall and i pulled 636... i also got random abysmal scores on other tests with 312 cpu.... all this on msie... opera mini stalled at both speeds... odd since opera draws pages better than msie in my experience... got 132 at 416cpu and but it showed a 62 second download speed... so the speed is a browser reporting error... pages dont redirect well... ib 600k test on opera i watched the progress and counted 12 seconds (mississippi) but on the results page it shows 26.... so thats another issue with speed testing... that tests just calculates data by time to load and doesnt work right.... now i think the fair test would be either a better test or the same phone on sprint and verizon... i hate verizon as much as the next guy... but i like the evdo... only reason i went with this phone is because im already died into a contract with verizon... and when i had sprint... they had truly UNUSEABLE service... i couldnt drive two miles without losing a call... it depends on where you are really.. and i cant wait for 700p to roll out or whatevers next.... and i must say... play nicely guys... we all have the same goal... oh yea and im in vegas... so that is why sprint sucks... in vegas its just no good...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast