Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    There are times when the extra dollars don't matter. I just want a reliable phone that's not buggy and paying a few bucks more for one plan over another is more than worth it to me for the right phone.

...however, NO ONE'S ever willing to say that when they're in front of the dreaded SALESMAN!!!

Believe me, I'd love to sell some some Cingular phones, but as it stands, just pointing out the prices of the phones and the services, we are selling 6700's and 650's three to one vs 8125's and 650's. In fact, the only decently selling pDA/phone we do have for Cingular is the 8700c BB.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    That's strong. As someone who sells 'em, how'd you justify the extra $$ for data vs. Sprint? I offer both and that's always the dealkiller when I'm talking to customers.
    I don't sell either one - no affiliation with any carrier or OS maker. Sprint has poor coverage outside the interstate corridors in West Texas, in fact, when I moved across town, I got a little too far away from the tower and got no service in my home. I started with Cingular in 1/2005, and got on their unlimited Medianet for $19.95 per month, and have carried it through the Treo 650, Samsung 5600, Cingular 2125 and now the Cingular 8125.

Granted, if I were stuck on the high dollar data plan, I'd probably choke a little, but I'd have to stay with Cingular for coverage reasons, even in the Texas hill country where Sprint doesn't even exist. It also sucks that Cingular is so slow in getting real 3G out the door compared to Sprint, but again, no EV-DO out here in the hinterlands anyway.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    NEWSBREAK>>>

In the news at this hour....

The State Department Today noted that negotiations with Iran over it's missile and nuclear programs have been a success. Iranian leaders have agreed to dismantle both programs, in exchange for the first shipment of new Palm smartphone models. Frustrated by the Daylight-savings time bug in the Palm Windows 700W, which has twarted Al-Quida operatives operating in the US, Iran didn't want to be another victim of the bug, and will be recieving all of the first shipment of 700P and "Hollywood" models from Palm, Inc.

In a related development, China has agreed to sell Access, owner of Palmsource, to North Korea in exchange for it dismantling it's nuclear power program as well.

There is a rumor that one 700P unit and one "Hollywood" phone will be witheld from the Iranian Government, and instead be delivered to a customer named "Perry" and one who goes by the moniker "Shadowmite". It is not thought that this exception will skuttle the deal with Iran.

We now rejoin our regular and actual programming already in progress...
    Whoooooo....Dude.....did somebody set their clock "Back" by mistake to April 1?
    ...however, NO ONE'S ever willing to say that when they're in front of the dreaded SALESMAN!!!

Believe me, I'd love to sell some some Cingular phones, but as it stands, just pointing out the prices of the phones and the services, we are selling 6700's and 650's three to one vs 8125's and 650's. In fact, the only decently selling pDA/phone we do have for Cingular is the 8700c BB.
    That's strange. I got my 8125 from Cingular for $299 (after $50 mail in rebate) by renewing for a second year on the remaining one year of a two year contract). Considering what I've been paying for Treos, and even regular PDA's, that seemed pretty reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    NEWSBREAK>>>

In the news at this hour....

The State Department Today noted that negotiations with Iran over it's missile and nuclear programs have been a success. Iranian leaders have agreed to dismantle both programs, in exchange for the first shipment of new Palm smartphone models. Frustrated by the Daylight-savings time bug in the Palm Windows 700W, which has twarted Al-Quida operatives operating in the US, Iran didn't want to be another victim of the bug, and will be recieving all of the first shipment of 700P and "Hollywood" models from Palm, Inc.

In a related development, China has agreed to sell Access, owner of Palmsource, to North Korea in exchange for it dismantling it's nuclear power program as well.

There is a rumor that one 700P unit and one "Hollywood" phone will be witheld from the Iranian Government, and instead be delivered to a customer named "Perry" and one who goes by the moniker "Shadowmite". It is not thought that this exception will skuttle the deal with Iran.

We now rejoin our regular and actual programming already in progress...
    Link?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Link?
    Um OK.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Link?
    LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    That's strange. I got my 8125 from Cingular for $299 (after $50 mail in rebate) by renewing for a second year on the remaining one year of a two year contract). Considering what I've been paying for Treos, and even regular PDA's, that seemed pretty reasonable.

I can get an 8125 and a 8700 for $230 thru my company. After Wednesday I may be placing an order for one. I had the 8125 and sent it back because of the one handed issue. However, I think there are enough other apps resolving this that I may go back since I LOVE WM5!
    My 8125 has been a nice upgrade to my treo. I love the WM5 and I think that this phone is much more stable than my treo ever was. The only thing that is really ticking me off about this product is that it is having a hard time syncing to my computer. My SuperJam syncs up just fine but this phone is giving me all sorts of problems. Other than that I love this device.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Link?

..........................you're joking, right?

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I can get an 8125 and a 8700 for $230 thru my company. After Wednesday I may be placing an order for one. I had the 8125 and sent it back because of the one handed issue. However, I think there are enough other apps resolving this that I may go back since I LOVE WM5!
    Be sure to register at xda-developers and pick up smartskey.exe; it nearly make the 8125 a one-handed device; and fills in the HUGE hole in WM5 by making the Close Menu ("X") actually close, not just minimize, an application.
    ...I wasn't talking about the price of the phones, but the data plans. I "can't" set my customers up on MediaNet because we're not allowed to at activation, and I'm NOT going to sell a phone (or teach my staff to) based on a loophole the customer may, or may not, be able to use. I'm the LAST guy to preach ethics, and I don't think there's anything "unethical" in anyone having hat plan on a PDA phone, but as a Rep for Cingular I've got to live by their rules, and they say no. Its not much different than the 15-20 customers I get a month who want me to help them get around the eligibilty requirements Sprint has for upgrades? Could I? Sure, I can think of ten ways off the top of my head, but I'm not going to, because I work for a company that's agreed to abide by Sprint's rules, and by extension, so have I. So, all things being equal I sell to carriers with great coverage and several excellent PDA/PHONES. However, one company is $45 cheaper on data. The customers look at me like I'm stupid 90% of the time for even OFFERING them Cingular.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby
    New Treo to be unveiled on April 5
    Stan Sigman, President and CEO of Cingular Wireless would introduce the new PalmOS Treo on the CTIA show, which takes place in Las Vegas (April 5-7), rumors say. This Treo will be the first of the saga announced this year. We don't know if it will be the so called 700p, but we're anxious to see it. I am pretty sure that this one won't have wifi, considering who's introducing it.

http://palminsider.blogspirit.com/ar...n-april-5.html
    Any word on an announcement?
    ...I wasn't talking about the price of the phones, but the data plans. I "can't" set my customers up on MediaNet because we're not allowed to at activation, and I'm NOT going to sell a phone (or teach my staff to) based on a loophole the customer may, or may not, be able to use. I'm the LAST guy to preach ethics, and I don't think there's anything "unethical" in anyone having hat plan on a PDA phone, but as a Rep for Cingular I've got to live by their rules, and they say no. Its not much different than the 15-20 customers I get a month who want me to help them get around the eligibilty requirements Sprint has for upgrades? Could I? Sure, I can think of ten ways off the top of my head, but I'm not going to, because I work for a company that's agreed to abide by Sprint's rules, and by extension, so have I. So, all things being equal I sell to carriers with great coverage and several excellent PDA/PHONES. However, one company is $45 cheaper on data. The customers look at me like I'm stupid 90% of the time for even OFFERING them Cingular.
    I don't know about this "loophole" but Cingular did sell me unlimited MediaNet with my Treo 650 for $19.95 in January 2005, so I guess that means I'm grandfathered and lucky for it, as the SIM, and my account, has moved with me through the Audiovox 5600, Cingular 2125, and now the 8125, all bought directly from Cingular - which included a one year extension on the remaining year of my original two year contract.

As for new buyers, I've heard of folks adding data after buying the phone, rather than being cuffed with the big data plan charge. The real question here is why can Sprint afford to offer EV-DO for $15 compared to $49 and Verizon and $39 at Cingular for simple EDGE -

1. they are a smaller provider, and

2. their footprint is smaller

so its to their competitive advantage to price lower. Let them get as big as Verizon or Cingular, and then we'll see what their true rates become. Cingular is in an even better position than Verizon from the standpoint that their service travels off the Interstate corridors better than either of the other two (at least out West) so you don't really get a choice.
    I don't know about this "loophole" but Cingular did sell me unlimited MediaNet with my Treo 650 for $19.95 in January 2005, so I guess that means I'm grandfathered and lucky for it, as the SIM, and my account, has moved with me through the Audiovox 5600, Cingular 2125, and now the 8125, all bought directly from Cingular - which included a one year extension on the remaining year of my original two year contract.

As for new buyers, I've heard of folks adding data after buying the phone, rather than being cuffed with the big data plan charge. The real question here is why can Sprint afford to offer EV-DO for $15 compared to $49 and Verizon and $39 at Cingular for simple EDGE -

1. they are a smaller provider, and

2. their footprint is smaller

so its to their competitive advantage to price lower. Let them get as big as Verizon or Cingular, and then we'll see what their true rates become. Cingular is in an even better position than Verizon from the standpoint that their service travels off the Interstate corridors better than either of the other two (at least out West) so you don't really get a choice.
    Well, Sprint's footprint on 1xRtt is huge... and Edge is compareable to 1xRtt, so charging $39 for Edge and $15 for Vision (1xRtt) still doesn't jive. EVDO by Sprint is still under a year old. They even have plans out the door for REL A. So, given more time, Sprint will bring up their EVDO footprint and speed.
    ...I wasn't talking about the price of the phones, but the data plans. I "can't" set my customers up on MediaNet because we're not allowed to at activation, and I'm NOT going to sell a phone (or teach my staff to) based on a loophole the customer may, or may not, be able to use...... However, one company is $45 cheaper on data.
    I have spoken to Cingular 2nd level CSR's on the subject after my cost per KB plan was first bumped up to 3 cents per kb from 1 cent per kb and the computers wouldn't let them put it back becuse the plan was no longer offered.

Asked them point blank "why do many CSR's try and push Treo owners into the PDA Plan ? Their answer was not very suprising. There's no loophole. Simply put,when the Treo came along CSR's were trained that it was "like a blackberry". With a BB, you need PDANet on Cingular cause ONLY PDAnet provides VPN and VPN is needed for access to their proprietary server technology. When the Treo first came along, Cingular lumped it into the BB category and started telling their customers they needed PDANet. They are now told to "suggest" PDAnet but if the customer says he doesn't need VPN, and wants MediaNet they are suppossed to give it to them.

I was told point blank in getting my 1 cent / 3 cent problem resolved by 2nd level CSR's that they have been trying to get their front line customer service people "up to speed" but it has been complicated by the fact that they get complaints going the other way. People are given MediaNet, it don't work to get them into their private corporate server cause they don't have VPN and they call up yelling at CS. Then this CSR' starts telling everyone around them that "You need PDA Connect with a Treo" again.

If you simply tell a CSR that you want MediaNet because you don't need VPN, unless you get a very new or shall we say "less than quick" CSR, they aren't going to give you any static because Cingular's formal policy is that they only wanna charge you the extra $20 for providing the VPN service. The confusion has nothing to do with money or loopholes but rather misinformation from attempts to minimize customer service complaints from users about their VPN based e-mail not working.

And BTW, I was offered the MediaNet plan on activation by my local brick and mortar who explained in detail the "no VPN / MediaNet versus VPN / PDANet" thing in the store .... but didn't think I'd use data that much. On the 1 cent per kb plan I was using $8 a month .... until I started hanging out here . When the $8 tripled to $24 because of the plan getting bumped up to 3 cents, they said they'd put me on MediaNet until the problem was straightened out. 2nd Level called 2 days later and explained that they could put me back on the 1 cent per kb plan but in the meantime, w/o that cap over my head, I started using the web more and told him I'd like to stay with MediaNet. He immediately asked if I would need VPN and I said no at which point he told me MediaNet was fine.....the Q&A in the above paragrah above followed.

As for "$45 cheaper" what plans are you talking about ? Last time I looked,

Cingular PDA Net was $39.95 a month
    Cingular MediaNet is $19.95 a month
    Verizon was $39.95 w/ voice plan, $5 more without
    Sprint was $14.95 for Vision (tho you can often talk them down to $10 by removing picture mail).

I can't comes up with a $45 difference anywhere in that mix.

FWIW, I carry two phones on different carriers, for one reason .... a backup. The best service in my area is on Cingular, 2nd best on Verizon. While I used to use the Verizon "backup" phone maybe once a week, I have not made a call on it since last April. I thot it was just "luck" in not running into poor service areas but if ya watch TV or read a newspaper, you'll notice that both companies ads have been changed, that Cingular has invested 6.6 billion in new infrastructure over the past year and knocked off Verizon as the "network with fewest dropped calls".

That doesn't make me a Cingular fanboy, it's just that after a careful examination, I agreed with the owner of the brick and mortar "all carriers" store that Cingular offerd the best combination of service and cost in my area. Cingular's combined voice and data plans ($59 w/ 850 minutes + $19 unlimited) BTW were $5 cheaper and 50 more minutes than Sprint's ($69 w/ 800 minutes + $14 unlimited) at the time I went into contract.

Now if I lived in a different area, though given the choice, I relish the technological advatages of GSM phones, (swap SIMS ability, international travel, voice and data usage simultaneously, 50% more battery life) those advantages pale to good service. If Sprint was the dominant player signal wise in the area I frequent, I'd be with Sprint.

I took demos of each carrier around in the car with me watching signal strength before making a decision. One carrier was out after 30 minutes. I bought phones on the other two networks. I don't quite understand the peeps who select a phone "online" w/o making such a comparison. I imagine some do by asking friends and stopping into carrier owned stores but I am also pretty sure that many impulse buyers don't and then wind up unhappy.
    Sprint has the largest income per user of the big three. Sprint's is up around $60 whereas Verizon is $49 and Cingular $48. Part of that has gotta be that when ya have the bigger networks, you arent paying for calls to users with same carrier. But with all offered signup plans "competitive", the only thing I can think of is Sprint somehow manages to have a lot of people paying for "extras".
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    ...That doesn't make me a Cingular fanboy, it's just that after a careful examination, I agreed with the owner of the brick and mortar "all carriers" store that Cingular offerd the best combination of service and cost in my area. Cingular's combined voice and data plans ($59 w/ 850 minutes + $19 unlimited) BTW were $5 cheaper and 50 more minutes than Sprint's ($69 w/ 800 minutes + $14 unlimited) at the time I went into contract.

Now if I lived in a different area, though given the choice, I relish the technological advatages of GSM phones, (swap SIMS ability, international travel, voice and data usage simultaneously, 50% more battery life) those advantages pale to good service. If Sprint was the dominant player signal wise in the area I frequent, I'd be with Sprint.

I took demos of each carrier around in the car with me watching signal strength before making a decision. One carrier was out after 30 minutes. I bought phones on the other two networks. I don't quite understand the peeps who select a phone "online" w/o making such a comparison. I imagine some do by asking friends and stopping into carrier owned stores but I am also pretty sure that many impulse buyers don't and then wind up unhappy.
    Good analysis Jack - and don't forget one other Cingular biggie - roll over minutes. Others are trying to get more reasonable when you go over, but if you have a family plan at 1250 minutes and 4 lines like mine, carryover of unused minutes is heaven sent for those "heavy months."
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Sprint has the largest income per user of the big three. Sprint's is up around $60 whereas Verizon is $49 and Cingular $48. Part of that has gotta be that when ya have the bigger networks, you arent paying for calls to users with same carrier. But with all offered signup plans "competitive", the only thing I can think of is Sprint somehow manages to have a lot of people paying for "extras".
    A good part of that is their success at selling add on media services that took advantage of Vision, and even more so with EV-DO.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Good analysis Jack - and don't forget one other Cingular biggie - roll over minutes. Others are trying to get more reasonable when you go over, but if you have a family plan at 1250 minutes and 4 lines like mine, carryover of unused minutes is heaven sent for those "heavy months."
    Rollover is a big attraction for me, like you 4 lines and when my went out of state to help a family member with surgery the rollover minutes came in very handy. After reading Jack's post on medianet vs PDAnet I called cingular CS again to get medianet instead of PDAnet. Cingular rep replied, no problem sir, if you do not need VPN let me move you back to medianet at $19.99. Just want to verify that you do not need to access a privte company server that would be the only reason to pay for PDAnet. Every other time I called was told that medianet was not available for the Treo.
    Thanks jack, saved me $20 a month.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast